I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming an exposed blank casting seat?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (217.114.38.---)
Date: March 10, 2022 10:42PM

After acquiring an exposed blank baitcasting reel seat for a new build, I decided I wanted to shorten the handle by about an inch (and, so, move the seat an inch down the blank). I think the necessary inside diameter reduction would be about 1/2 mm. So, would you ream it a bit, or buy the correct size seat and put the other in the drawer for later? Just a bit curious about the thoughts of others on this. I really have no idea if there are any pitfalls to a small bit of reaming. The expense of a new Forecast reel seat is minimal, but I hate the thought of a perfectly good reel seat being put aside with its future use anyone's guess. Thanks in advance.

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming an exposed blank casting seat?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 10, 2022 11:28PM

Hunter,
If you have the tools and abilities to ream the seat, go ahead.

If not, set it aside and buy a larger reel seat.

I have gone both ways, but at the end of the day, I really prefer to buy the correct reel seat.

Simply put, with the shape of many reel seats, and the inability to really chuck it into a lathe, that leaves only doing it by hand and the inherent tough job to really do a perfect reaming job when nothing is tied down to insure a perfect job.

Your money, your choice, but if you fail on the reaming, you have just scrapped the reel seat - rather than setting it aside.

Take care

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: March 10, 2022 11:40PM

I have used my Dream Reamers for small adjustments to the reelseats like you are using with success. You may end up with a small burr that needs to be removed but it works for me.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 10, 2022 11:46PM

No one can really argue with Roger’s synopsis. If just a tic is required to make it fit = go for it; if not, save it for a rainy day. The additional cost of acquiring the proper part may pale in comparison to the aggravation caused by attempting to make the present part fit.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 10, 2022 11:51PM

Ream it, an inch or two is nothing. It is very uncommon to find an exposed blank reel seat that fits perfectly where you want it. So reaming a slightly smaller reel seat is the best way to get it fit where you want it. If you get the next size larger reel seats the odds are it may slide down the blank farther than you want it. Thus, It is better to use a slightly smaller reel seat then ream it to fit.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2022 12:32AM

If you have access to a lathe you could bore it out as follows;

Take a dowel or other round stock and press fit it about 1/3 into the reel seat, leave enough dowel sticking out of the seat to mount it into the lathe chuck. (You could also snug fit the dowel with heat melt glue to hold it in place and later remove it with heat.)

Set the dowel in the lathe chuck and true up the assembly and slowly (shallow cuts) bore out ID to the end of the dowel.

Remove the seat and repeat this set up with a larger dowel on the newly bored end and bore the remainder of the seat to size.

I agree it is a lot of work and will take some time to do it, but that is one way to achieve what you want with the material you have.

If you don't have access to a lathe you are better off finding a seat that fits.

Have fun

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 11, 2022 01:12AM

I ream exposed blank reel seats by hand with a standard cork reamer almost every time I build a casting rod. I’ve done it many, many times with no problems. I always keep on hand every size of the exposed blank casting reel seats that I most commonly use, and rarely find one that fits perfectly. As I mentioned above, I find a reel seat that is slightly smaller and comes within a few inches of where I want it. A few turns with the reamer is usually enough to move the reel seat an extra inch or two. It only takes a few minutes and it works quite well. I’m not talking about reaming it to the next size or two and removing a lot of material, just enough to get it to fit. Hunter stated he wanted to move the reel seat down the blank an extra inch. In my book that’s nothing and can be easily done with a reamer. If he went to the next size reel seat I’m almost sure he would overshoot where he wants the reel seat to be. Most rod blanks do not change their OD 0.5 mm in an inch. So if you’re within an inch or two REAM it. It’s just that easy to do.
Norm

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2022 08:20AM

One caution in reaming an exposed blank reel seat - make sure the window still has a clean and smooth perimeter after reaming. I have had to go in with fine-grit sandpaper and reestablish the outline after reaming - a dremel would have been better but I don't own one.... This is particularly true with the nylon reel seats.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (217.114.38.---)
Date: March 11, 2022 10:06AM

Once, again, this site demonstrates what a wonderful resource it is. Thanks to all who responded. You have all given me something (or, things) to consider. I haven't decided exactly what I'll do, but I will feel more comfortable with my decision whatever it may be. Again, thank you. Slainte!

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2022 10:38AM

I have done it a few times, it doesn't take much to go a little farther down the rod to get it closer to the butt. Like someone else commented you may get a bur or rough edge on the window that can be smoothed back out with 300 or 400 wet sandpaper. Just do the edge, if you have to, and try to stay off the outward facing part of the window where the blank will be exposed.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2022 08:18PM

x10 on what Norman and Lance posted. After ordering an MVT reel seat that went past where I wanted it to stop, I have always ordered a seat a half size smaller than I think I'll need, and ream it to fit. As Lance said, I just dress the edge of the blank window with some 400 grit sand paper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster