I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Requested Info of Sabre Rods
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 07, 2022 11:21PM

Due to sparse and conflicting information acquired from other online sources, l am looking here for past and present history of “Sabre Rods”. I am rebuilding the first saltwater rod that I purchased (mid-late 80s), a 7ft. 12-25lb golden-colored Sabre. The foam (EVA / Hypalon ?) grips are still in great shape and the rod even sports COF wire boat guides lol. But the thread wraps were showing their age, probably compounded by the fact the tunnels were WIDE OPEN. I was actually surprised to find absolutely no rust on the guide feet. While reasonably priced, it has performed admirably and I have caught many fish with it. So it seemed appropriate, if not warranted, that I rebuild the rod while using the original components. I attempted spiral wrapping the guides, but the large-ringed guides proved to be inappropriate for the task and hence rewrapped them conventionally, albeit properly spaced this time as per 2-line static load testing.
Excuse the lengthy prelim, but I have a few questions;
Who is the present owner of the “Sabre” name? While Decal Connection has the Sabre logo, they respect, and rightfully so, the copyright of the name. Although my rod had no original Sabre logo, I would like to include it in the inscription but need the authorization form the present owner of the name.
What is the general consensus / opinion of Sabre rods? Is there a difference between the old and new?
From what I have gathered, in a nutshell, Leon Todd started “Roddy Built” rods which became “Sabre” rods and then became “CalStar” rods of which all locations are within 45 minutes from my house here in LALA Land. “Seeker” rods acquired some of the mandrels and “Penn” acquired the name somewhere along the line.
Please help me fill in the blanks.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Requested Info of Sabre Rods
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 08, 2022 05:38AM

I always thought it was Pac Bay.

Little more digging. Seems Seeker and Pac Bay bought tyhe mandrels when Sabre folded in late 80's early 90's. Penn apparently bought the name. Last I knew Seeker offered them under the same model numbers as the originals.

Yup, good rods. Classic live bait with soft tip and strong butt.

If your is the E270-7-HG Schneiders has the Pac Bay ones listed on their site.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: March 08, 2022 09:08AM

Sounds more like a 196-7 which was very popular on the west coast right behind the Stroker series

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2022 10:14AM

Hi

My opinion is that it’s probably okay to produce a new decal. Nobody finds issue with restoration of a rod, plus the logo used on that rod isn’t close to anything that could be used today. I don’t know who actually owns the TM but I assume its the new ownership of Penn which good luck on getting approval for a single retro decal...

Back in the day, if you owned a Sabre rod then you owned the best rod money could buy (in SoCal anyway) and in fact used all my first paychecks from the tackle store to having a set of Sabre rods. Leon Todd worked for Roddy before being a part of creating the Sabre infamy leading him to leave a troubled company to start Tackle Specialties which produced CalStar blanks and then rods. Long story and many names short, eventually Cal Tackle (Sabre) went out of business for the last time and the Sabre name was purchased at @#$%& by Pac Bay. Pac Bay then licensed Penn to use it as "Sabre by Penn“ with the rods being produced in Santa Ana CA, at Rodco which was the old Garcia Connolon factory (owned by the original family owned Penn Reels). Pac Bay eventually sold the TM to Penn which continued to market them until Penn was in turn sold. There is another Sabre Strokers in Malaysia who acquired their TM based on previous distribution rights.

A 7' 12-25# blank/rod would be a 196-7 and yes the grips would be hypalon. Dark brown rods produced as well as later honey gold versions with wire frame Perfection guides. There were also some models offered with ACS Perfection ceramic ring wire frame guides and later even some Fuji BNHG's. There was a yellow gold Sabre Lite offered built on an S-Glass B19-7 blank which was a really nice performing rod however they were not as durable as the standard E-Glass options.

For what its worth....

Darrin

Date: March 08, 2022 04:14PM

Russell, Ron and Darrin,
Thank you for the replies containing appreciated info. It is good to learn that others consider Sabres to be good rods and not just the fact that I was born, raised and still live in LALA Land where they were manufactured and so have to like them, right? The rod has served me very well and I still take it on some trips, but admittedly more as a back-up to the rods I have built more recently and use mostly. But now that it has been rebuilt, it begs to be allowed to stretch its fibers again.
While Darrin is probably correct that most may not care if I hijack the logo for a single rebuilt personal rod, it is Decal Connection that is respectful of the copyright, and rightfully so. I will contact Penn to see if they will give me a hall pass to use the Sabre logo for my rebuild. I do not remember if the rod originally displayed a logo or not. The only thing on the rod was “12-25lb” and the model number which was illegible. Thanks for the info stating my rod is probably a “196-7”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 08, 2022 05:16PM

Penn now I believe in part of Pure fishing.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: March 09, 2022 02:08AM

Sabre is what I originally learned to wrap on back in the 70's. I still have two 196-7s, a 195-5, and I think a 670, an 870, and another that I don't remember the model of off the top of my head.
Yes, great rods. I wouldn't hesitate to use them now. BITD everyone I fished with used Sabres. They were the top selling rod at the little tackle shop I worked at.

Guy Taylor

Date: March 09, 2022 05:54PM

Spencer and Guy,
Thanks for your contributions as well. It is good to know that others consider Sabre rods to be worthy as well. Knowing very little on the subject back then, I followed the advice of a number of others who suggested the Sabre rods were the best bang-for-the-buck; and I now certainly agree. It has afforded me with many fond memories and delicious fish dinners. Amongst others, my Sabre has helped me land a 24lb Yellowtail and a 52lb halibut and it is still ready, willing and able for more!

Mark Talmo

Date: March 09, 2022 07:44PM

There were a lot of great rod blanks from the past. I find it interesting as to which ones were prized the most by time period and area of the country.

For example, for me going back to the 60's, shakespeare and lamiglas were our go to blanks. Later on names like fenwick and sabre were the choice. St. Croix was always a top choice (Loomis was above our budget). Don't know why but we didn't build much on seeker or calstar unless it was really heavy stuff (our waters favored 30# class and under for most things). Due to living in a different area and raising a family, I missed out on allstar and shikari. Never even seen a harnell that I know of. Surf casting was never a big thing down here but pier and jetty was. I have bought closeout blanks that "I think" were United and/or Cascade Composites and feel they still are competitive.

I'd love to hear what were your "go to" blanks from the past and for what waters/fish. Also how you feel they stack up to current/modern offerings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 10, 2022 05:15PM

Russell,
GREAT POST!!! I’m glad I made you think of it lol. Your observation / question “I find it interesting as to which ones were prized the most by time period and area of the country” is point-on and I too would be interested in learning the answer from as many as possible. It actually deserves its own topic / post although I certainly do not mind it “stepping on” this topic.
I suppose it is human nature for one to prefer products which are locally produced. I was born, raised and still live in SoCal which has been a mecca for offshore blank and rod manufacturers for many years; Cal Star, Seeker, United Composites who are still in business, and in years past there was Sabre, Roddybuilt and even the inventor of the tubular FG blank, Conolon, just to name a few. I suppose I am guilty of local brand loyalty as all of my saltwater rods are either Cal Star (3), Sabre (1), Seeker (1), or vintage Conolon (5), with the odd-man-out being a Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid. All are FG except for the Phenix. The Seeker, one of the Cal Stars and the Phenix are < 5 years old, with the others being pre-1990. Funny thing is that the oldest rods, the Conolons, are the newest to my arsenal, acquired after starting to build rods about 6 years ago. While some are <20lb Calico / Yellowtail rods and others are 100lb, roller stand-up Tuna sticks, I use and enjoy all of them. But I have to say that there is just something special about fishing a piece of history with the vintage Conolons. I would put them up against any modern FG or CF rod! Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor at its finest.
My freshwater arsenal is quite different with a mix-match of UL CF rods purchased through the past 40+ years. They all perform admirably, even if employing COF guides lol. As with my saltwater rods, the newest additions to my freshwater arsenal are the vintage Conolons. Combining the vintage feel of an NOS Conolon blank with modern KR Concept guides produces a very unique rod; I rarely use the “old” CF rods anymore. Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor at its finest.
Did I mention how much I appreciate vintage Conolon rods? LOL

Mark Talmo

Date: March 10, 2022 08:37PM

Mark, sorry I forgot to mention Conolon. They were popular down here but more as a store bought rod than a blank.

I always blamed Boeing for the west coast being the hot bed of everything to do with rod blanks.

Way back in the distant past things were a little different. I'd say mostly because Miami was one of the few places (in USA) that where within reach of billfish grounds with the boats of the time. Bimini was 50 miles away and Cuba was 90 miles. Many might be surprised to know the number one maker of serious offshore bamboo rods was Miami based. So was one of the leaders in reels. But they were mostly small school companies catering to a local niche market.

You might find these an interesting read Mark.

[antiquefishingreels.com]

[www.hatchmag.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 11, 2022 12:07AM

Thanks Russell = good reads!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Michael Nichols (---)
Date: May 20, 2023 09:56PM

Being in Southern California l my whole life and fishing and rod building all that time, I know Sabres well. Leon Todd, Super of the Sabre blank. mfg. shop, was a good friend. He told me of. his work His time first at Narmco,, then Sabre, which where he was
at the time that I met him. I was buying blanks directly from him at the plant in Gardena, CA. They sold to the public if you were a rod builder, or not. this was early, 1962.I would like to mention "Truline" was also growing in popularity (blank and rods). Mr. Collins
starting gaining popularity with his rods with Asian fishermen that enjoyed the incredible pull feel of his blanks. Championed by Yo Yoshida ( I learned alot of my wrapping skills from Yo). Mr. Collins introduced the blanks to the boat I was working on a s a pinhead
in 1963. He gave three of use (crew) three blanks, a 4X, a 36 and a D8. He said "...wrap them up, use them on the boat, hook and hand off fish (Yellowtail in La Jolla Ca., to customers, tell me about their reactions..." Reactions were great... and we loved them too.
So, very soon, we had Sabres AND Trulines in our small tackle shop for rentals and for crew to used for handoffs. Most popular early Sabre blanks were 220, 196, 196-7, 270, and 670, and 670H. little later 540 jig stick. Trulines were more expensive, but amazing rods.
Especially the D8. Even after the company owner died in early 1990, those early Truline rods are one (Seeker is also) of the highest priced used rods on the market on the West Coast, mostly Southern California. Sabres remain popular as do Calstars, made by California
Tackle, Leon Todd's company, After he left Sabre (American Tackle). Sadly Leon Todd has passed away too. But the prices for these two rods (used) are not nearly. as high as Truline. Seeker (Originally by Mr. Cunningham) is now the big name in Southern Calif.,
Commanding big prices too.

Mike Nichols-=Executive Tackle Ironmike Custom Rods

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: May 23, 2023 12:21PM

Just looked @ some of my rods and I have a 196-5 and an LB270C among others with no labelsl I also have a Trueline in my stash along with a couple of Calstars. I didn't care about the history just the performance and they worked. Thanks for the history lesson Michael.

Posted by: Jerome Yasuhara (---)
Date: February 29, 2024 05:09PM

As far as I’ve been told, ownership rights to the Sabre brand decals belongs to Dean Baba, one of Sabre’s original owners.

And thank you to the moderators for accepting me into the group!

Posted by: Jerome Yasuhara (---)
Date: February 29, 2024 05:15PM

As far as I’ve been told, ownership rights to the Sabre brand decals belongs to Dean Baba, one of Sabre’s original owners.

And by the way thanks to the group moderators for accepting my membership!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 01, 2024 07:15PM

My grandad traded something for a 6 1/2 foot blank length Sabre bass style rod back in the 60's I believe, he used it as his flounder/sole, rock bass and greenling rod. After he passed in the 80's I found it pretty hammered and rebuilt it into a more modern rod and have caught LMB, SMB, trolled for big browns, and bottom fished with it just as he did. It will throw a 1/4 oz. lure as far as anything else I think I have ever built in that length and is the best at teaching a newbie how to use a casting reel. A cherished favorite.

Posted by: Jerome Yasuhara (---.sub-174-202-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2024 12:09AM

That’s quite a legacy to honor your grandad with rebuilding that heirloom! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster