I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver giving me the biz
Posted by: Jim Pitman (71.169.180.---)
Date: March 06, 2022 08:46AM

I've made a half dozen rods in my life. The first couple used color preserver but it came out splotchy. It 's as if I didn't apply it completely.
The next three rods I didn't bother with the preserver and just put up with the dark wraps. It tried it again on my current build and sure enough got blotch results even with two careful coats. One of the wraps was real bad so I did it over and unfortunately it came out bad again.
I'm using Flexcoat color preserver.
Got any hints?
I'm thinking of trying to make a rig that dispenses the color preserver on the thread just before it goes on the wrap (while wrapping).
Have you ever tried wrapping thread that was wet with color preserver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver giving me the biz
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2022 09:06AM

Are you thinning the CP? If so, don't. Put on a full wet coat. Two should suffice.

If your wraps are not packed well you can get the same blotchy look and think it was the CP that didn't do its job.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 06, 2022 12:32PM

Agree with Tom on this one. And after give it 24 hrs drying time.

Posted by: Jim Pitman (71.169.180.---)
Date: March 06, 2022 12:51PM

I don't thin the preserver and my wraps are packed but I may be guilty of not giving it enough drying time.
Thanks for the input Tom and Jay.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 06, 2022 01:24PM

Assume you’re talking about guide wraps? Are you making sure to saturate the tunnels with CP, and using a couple good coats of CP, wicking off any excess after it’s had a chance to soak in?

Often folks that have issues with splotchy wraps are applying it like you would finish but not making sure to force the CP into the tunnels - then when you apply finish and it wicks into the tunnels it saturates then thread from the back side

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 06, 2022 05:54PM

One aspect of using most CP's that has not been mentioned is that the solids in them that work in saving color can settle out. So if you don't mix your CP well before using it, you may not be getting its full power. The comments on the tunnels are important too, because capillary action @#$%& the CP down into the tunnels and you must keep adding it to the tunnels until it no longer disappears into the tunnels before you give up on adding it.

I always mix it first, then apply it liberally, keeping adding it to the tunnels until they won't take any more, the use a paper towel to take off the excess. Then let it dry overnight. Then do it again.

No problems.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2022 07:12PM

Another issue I found using color preserver, especially with lighter color thread, is the oil froim my hands on the wraps. Had to make doubly sure my hands were clean before I handled the thread to ensure the color wasn't blotchy! Any contamination on the thread can affect the absorption of the CP and create irregularities.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 12:39PM

Jim

If you are still having any problems with our CP, please consider giving me a call and we can work it out together.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 07, 2022 04:44PM

Nice work, John Cates. Not unusual, for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster