I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendations
Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: March 04, 2022 07:26PM

I am looking for blank recommendations per the following:
All blanks natural with gloss finish
- 4 ea. - 7’long, 12 to 20 lb, inshore (reds,snook,flounder, sea trout)
- 2 ea. - 6 to 6’ 6” nearshore jigging rods ( passes, nearshore )
- 2 ea. - 6 to 6’6” near shore trolling rods ( passes to 10 miles out) ( kings, cobia, etc.)

I want them to be of one manufacturer and all the finishes to be the same - natural with gloss finish

Thank you!

Jon Hood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2022 10:37AM by Jon Hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 04, 2022 09:38PM

It looks like United Composites offers all of these between their GUSA and DHX ranges. I built on a GUSA with great results for strength, straightness, and sensitivity.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 04, 2022 10:05PM

Jon,
CTS AIR Model 7'0" 1/2 - 1 1/2, Oz - 12 - 290# - Raw Carbon with ClearCoat
6'6" models depending on action and lure weight wanted. Same Raw Carbon with clearCoat
Herb

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 04, 2022 11:55PM

For the 12-20 7' rod, you can't do much better than the American Tackle LS7/10-20 (Light Salt Water 7" 12-20) by American Tackle. However, believe it or not, I actually prefer their Mag Bass series MB73/10-20. At 7' 3", it is a tad longer, but I have had great days fishing for rockfish off the Oregon Coast with mine - you can almost feel the fish breathing!

As for the jigging blank, I love the AT Bushido Nanophene series, but they are designed as Slow Pitch rods, may not be what you're looking for. AT's other jigging blanks are longer than what you are seeking.

I am not an expert on trolling rods, don't do that form of fishing.

Good luck with your search!

Date: March 05, 2022 10:39AM

I expected NFC to chime in - what cha got guys?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 05, 2022 01:24PM

I just pulled a United Composite rod out and it is more gloss black than gloss raw. Still, great looks and great quality.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 05, 2022 05:43PM

IMHO I don't think the companies that make the best inshore blanks are making the better offshore blanks. And if by "jigging rods", you mean vertical jigging, that becomes even more of a niche offering. I have a number of the NFC blanks so until Alex chimes in I will offer my two cents worth.

The P702/703/704 are popping blanks for trout and redfish. Power tops out in the 8-15# range. I think the P704 is enough for any trout, slot redfish, and smaller snook (or bigger ones in open water). If you really need 12-20# I'd suggest the Xray SJ 725 or SJ 736. That said I think both are more than I'd want for trout, flounder, and redfish. More like the type of blank to toss a 3/8 jig for trailing dolphin and leave you feeling like you have a chance if a 30# fish strikes.

I have no experience with the new line of slow pitch jig blanks so I won't comment.

The Pelagic 703/704/705 would do for your number 3 ask. I'd pick the 704 and fish 30# test on it, which should be fine for those fish.

Your question seems to smack of a customer who wants matching rods, If you intend to buy from NFC I have a few I would suggest you add for yourself. Let me know if you go in that direction.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 05, 2022 07:00PM

Thanks Russ,
I have built on a number of blanks from Rod geeks and really like their inshore series. I did however order a natural with clear coat and had to return it - j could see a line in the glass or scrim. I returned it to St Croix as they had just taken over management from what I understood. I requested info on what happened to cause that but never heard back from.
I just sent an email to Rodgeeks asking about delivery times but haven’t heard anything back - makes me wonder?
Anyone gave any info about them recently?

Jon Hood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster