I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Wrapping Question
Posted by: Jeff Kruger (94.140.8.---)
Date: March 02, 2022 03:48PM

In most of the video's I've watched, ferrules are wrapped towards the open end of the ferrule. Even when a guide foot is close to a ferrule they typically start at the guide side of the foot and wrap towards the ferrule end.

Why is that, and is it important? It seems like it would be easier to start near the ferrule end and get four or five wraps down, and then carefully and neatly push the wraps as close to the opening as you can, making sure the exposure/reveal is even, and then finish wrapping away from the ferrule. Is there a valid reason to not do it that way? Isn't the purpose of the wraps and epoxy to reinforce that area a bit? Doesn't seem like it would matter which way you laid the thread down, but I feel like I must be missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Wrapping Question
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 02, 2022 04:22PM

Hello Jeff.

Thats the way I do it, but I usually don't do two piece rods only if specially ordered.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 02, 2022 04:25PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Jeff.
>
> Thats the way I do it, but I usually don't do two
> piece rods only if specially ordered.
>
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Thanks Bob. This is actually a 4 piece fly rod. When you say that is the way you do it, do you mean you wrap towards the ferrule end, or away from it? Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 02, 2022 05:22PM

Jeff, that is the way I do it as well as all the rod builders I know o it. Start at the open end of the female ferrule and proceed up the rod, with or without a guide affected.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2022 05:30PM

I do it the same as the others, from the open end forward, can always pack back if needed. If no guide involved than either way will work, but for consistency sake I always wrap forward from the open end.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2022 06:02PM

I wrap from the open end onwards. It allows me to get a little more tension on the wrap that way.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 02, 2022 08:41PM

I start at the ferrule end and wrap towards the tip whether there is a guide, or not. I cut my thumbnail short, make a few wraps than pack towards my short thumb nail which is at the ferrule end. This usually gives me about 1/32" gap from the ferrule end.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 02, 2022 08:54PM

X2

Date: March 02, 2022 08:55PM

Thanks for the answers, everyone, I genuinely appreciate it. I'm glad I wasn't missing something. I will start doing it that way as well, as I think it will be easier for me.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 03, 2022 10:08AM

Guess I'm the odd man out on this point. I wrap :"up the hill" from the smaller end of the rod section to the open end of the female ferrule. For me it makes for an easier and consistently better wrap. The exception is when a guide foot lands where the ferrule wrap should also be.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 03, 2022 01:46PM

Jeff,
As, apparently, most others, I start a ferrule wrap as close as possible (.020-.030in) to the open end of the female and wrap away from the end. It is always nice when a guide just happens to be mounted at the ferrule = kill 2 birds with the same stone = the wrap serves to both strengthen the ferrule and secure the guide = cleaner appearance (and even less weight for the hair-splitters). I have not been able to master wrapping “down the ramp” of a guide foot = can’t keep the rotations of thread packed tightly.
While the ferrules of some blanks may not actually require wrapping as per the manufacturer, I always do anyway just for the added insurance. There are different opinions on how long to make a ferrule wrap; while I have heard as much as 1.5 X the diameter of the blank, I make mine .187-.25in wide.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: March 03, 2022 04:17PM

Exactly...X2.
Plus...I am always worried Im gonna fall off there messing with a tag pull.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 04, 2022 09:39AM

Functionally doesn't matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster