I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Time Saver!
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 10:49PM

I'm sure this is old news to some, but...

I recently bought a reamer kit and I got three pieces of blank and some abrasive grit. I applied epoxy to the blanks and rolled them in the grit.

Although I was told these were not for machine use, I decided to try putting them in my 18V 1/2" DeWalt cordless drill and turning at low to medium speed. It was AWESOME! I can now ream out a 10" rear grip PERFECTLY in two or three minutes. Then, I do the same thing with the front grip and Graphite Arbors, too. (for them, a very slow speed works best, by the way)

In four rods, I've had to spot-apply grit only once. GREAT time saver! I would warn against tightening down the chuck too much, as you can crack the blank, like I did.

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Time Saver!
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 01:37AM

I also make my own reamers with grit. Word of caution. Make double sure that the cork you ream is clean in side. Just a few grains of grit can cause rod failure. The grit well cut in to the blank in time. Grit is of a carbon base.
Good look Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 08:28AM

The danger here is that the heat generated from using these items in a machine can loosen the adhesion of the epoxy and cutting grit can be released at high speed and hit whoever or whatever. Wouldn't feel too good to have an eyeful of that stuff. Just use caution if you are going to do this against all the recommendations.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 08:39AM

Good warnings.

I don't turn the drill up very fast, perhaps 250 rpm or so, and every few seconds, I pull the cork off and tap it out, and then slide it back down a little farther, and so on.

Even at the cordless drill's full speed, I don't think a piece of grit would fly hard enough to hurt anything. I guess it could get in your eye, but I've never even had a piece fly that far.

Now put that thing in a lathe, and crank it up to 5,000RPM, and you might have a different story!

TH

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 10:59AM

famous last words! never say never, please wear safety glasses, I don't want to hear that you can't build rods anymore cuz you got one eye!

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: November 29, 2001 11:13AM

Get a coarse grit belt for a belt sander and cut a 3/8 or 1/2 inch strip. Lather the back of the belt with U40 Rod Bond and spiral it up the blank scrap you will be using as a reamer. Tie the ends down with a few wraps of thread and let it cure.

The gaps between the belt strip allow the reamed cork dust to be removed, possibly more easily than a reamer with a solid grit surface. You can ream a cork in seconds and the reamer could last a lifetime. I have been using these for two years now.

Not my idea, but a tip I picked up from someone (can't remeber who).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster