I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak rod for light to medium saltwater
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 09:26PM

I was looking at some blanks at the Expo that would be suitable for kayak guys in the FL area for casting for a variety of species off their boats. I saw a lot at the Expo that I liked but know that companies cannot bring everything. How do guys doing this feel about good medium priced blanks that can handle 12 to 20lb line and toss 1/2 to 3/4 ounce plugs or troll similar? Got to have light tips and a very stout butt. What is working for you if we are talking Spanish and Juvenile Kings from a kayak?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2022 10:12PM by Mike Ballard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak rod for light to medium saltwater
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2022 11:01PM

I handled some of the American Tackle Bushido blanks this past weekend and was very impressed. The Bushido line appears to be a quality product from any aspect you wish to consider. You might check their website for all the available models and see what appeals to you. I have a fairly discerning eye when it comes to quality and the Bushido models they had on display impressed me. I do a lot of kayak fishing and I suspect these might fill the bill for you. You just need to dial in the right model for what you want to do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 01, 2022 12:12AM

I'd look at the Rainshadow RCLB70XL , very versatile 15 lb line rod that will do all you are asking and more.

Posted by: mick vickers (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2022 05:47AM

RodGEEKS X-Comp series XC-731 or XC-732

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: March 01, 2022 09:11AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: March 01, 2022 10:15AM

It sounds like a mag bass blank would work. I do medium light saltwater blanks used on kayaks and use a lot of blanks that are designated as bass blanks. Also look at the Fuji Point Blank line, they have a robust butt and a thin sensitive tip.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2022 10:52AM

I built two rods to fish for reds in Pamlico sound out of a kayak. They were 1) NFC MB705-1 (350), 66 degrees, 671 grams (IP) and 2) MB704-1 (653) 69 degrees, 590 grams (IP). I have not fished them yet, but am very anxious. I used lighter rods and did not think they had enough backbone for the 5-6 pounders. My buddy likes to fish the MHX 843 blank, same scenario. I believe his 843 is around 700 grams (IP). Unfortunately, I don't know the action angle.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: March 01, 2022 05:28PM

I second the Bushido series blanks. Been really happy with them and personally have a 7'6 MH Bushido and I've put it through the ringer and landed fish way above its weight class. The satin finish shows wear and tear rather easily but it fishes pompano jigs and gotcha plugs really well but will also free line a shrimp easily. Very versatile blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2022 05:29PM by Tyler Reinert.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2022 09:29AM

I also am a big fan of the Bushido Mag Bass series. The 12-20 should work very well for your application - I have one set up for inshore fishing off the West Coast and it has the beef where it's needed and is ultra-sensitive! Felt the rockfish tapping at my jig, and had to teach myself not to strike too early!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster