I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Remove guides and epoxy from tip section
Posted by: Audun Lange (---)
Date: February 28, 2022 01:10PM

I have used too small guides on a spey rod I've built for own use - loop connections do not pass through as the should.

Would like to replace with somewhat larger guides. What is recomennded procedure?
From what i have seen in different threads , it seems like the solutuon is to use heat for this, but not too much as it might damage the blank.
How much heat is needed for softening epoxy finish, and when does it get too hot for a blank?

Is heat gun/blow torch recomended - or could this be achieved with steam as well?

- Occasional amateur rod wrapper -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remove guides and epoxy from tip section
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: February 28, 2022 02:05PM

I personally would not use any heat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 28, 2022 03:05PM

Applying heat will soften the epoxy, however, you need to be very careful with the amount of heat, especially on the thin tip section. I would use nothing hotter than a hairdryer, and even then, just get it warm !

To remove the wraps, it is best, if you can cut the thread, on top of the guide foot, then peel the wrap off the rod. You will not remove all the epoxy this way, but should get most of it. After that, very careful scrapping the remaining epoxy should clean it up.

There are many previous threads, on this subject, available if you do a search.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 03:25PM

If you slice carefully, with a safety razor right on top of the guide foot in a direction parallel to the blank moving toward the loop, you should be able grab a piece (s) of the thread and peal it off. Fresh epoxy should peal off pretty easy. I would not use heat on any thin section of a rod. What loop size are you replacing and with what other size?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 03:48PM

Agree with Lance and Kent. Using heat on rods is a high risk proposition, even for the pros. Very easy for a newbie at it to put too much heat on. And it's not necessary.

Posted by: Audun Lange (---)
Date: February 28, 2022 03:56PM

I have used Torzite size 5 - was too focused on low weights.
For this spey (skagit) rod - 650 grains rating, this was not really important.
The rod was built for my own use - and frustration.

I will try with razorblade and maybe carefully use some heat.
New guides will be placed at exactly same place as old ones, probably hiding any mistakes.
Thank you all for kind replies.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2022 05:42PM

Good decision, Audun. I suggest answering Lance's question before going with new-he knows fly rods. Get it right the next time.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 28, 2022 07:59PM

Auden,
If you were concerned with weight and you should- why are you using ceramics??
I wpuld use #4 REC Recoil single foot guides and a REC Recoil Tip=Top with large loop.

Herb
CTS

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 01, 2022 08:44AM

Audin,
If you use a razor blade, only use the razor blade on the side of the blank where you will be cutting against the guide.

If you run the blade parallel to the unprotected blank, there is a good chance that you will catch a piece of graphite and strip it from the blank and ruin the blank.

So, if you use a razor blade on the tip section any where, do it with a scraping motion such that the blade is being held at 90 degrees to the blank. This means, that you are simply scraping away epoxy from the surface of the thread wraps - and NOT slicing through thread, and or blank material.

Best wishes

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2022 08:53AM

Have you considered using a piece of hollow-core braided nylon to connect the leader butt to the end of your fly line? Such a connection is plenty strong, passes easily through a guide train, and easy to make. You need only make a whip-finish of thread at each end of the braided nylon tube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster