I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you match St. Croix see through thread?
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: February 24, 2022 01:48PM

I broke a St. Croix avid that was 10+ years old and warrantied it with a new Avid inshore 8' MH and after UPS lost it and finally found it and got it delivered I noticed one of the guide wraps epoxy is cracked a little from the guide having been bent. I bent the guide back into place without doing any more damage. The epoxy Crack is on the ring side of the single foot guide between the guide and the blank. I remember it being extremely difficult to match the thread color to a St. Croix rod. If it's possible to match I will re-wrap the guide. However it is not possible to match it could I use a sharp pick or sandpaper to smooth out the epoxy a little bit and then apply another layer of flex coat over the area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you match St. Croix see through thread?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 24, 2022 03:00PM

I's put something thin and crack filling that requires no sanding, or other prep like Permagloss put on with a tooth pick, needle, etc that has less chance of leaving evidence behind, I myself could use the pointy end of my finish spatula.

Date: February 24, 2022 03:10PM

Thank you Spencer I think I'll use a thin spatula tool and some flex coat lite I used a sharp pick to remove the excess and it doesn't look like much needs to be filled. Most of the damage was to excess epoxy that leaked out of the "tunnel" so thankfully not as bad as it looked at first glance.

I'm still curious if it's possible to match the color of the thread for any future repairs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 24, 2022 03:17PM

Tyler,
It is really easy to match the thread color.

Normally, St. Croix rods are very accommodating with revealing the brand, color and thread size of any particular that has been built over the years. They tend to use the same threads for many years at a time.

However, just because they will give you the details on the thread - actually obtaining the exact thread from a build some years ago - may be another entirely different story.

Best wishes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 24, 2022 03:18PM

Of course there is always another way out.

i.e. if you want a perfect guide to guide match of thread colors - cut all of the guides off the rod, along with removing all of the epoxy finish and thread - and rewrapping the guides with the thread of your choice and reapplying thread finish on the rod.

Take care

Date: February 24, 2022 03:43PM

I used to have a list of threads used by St. Croix, but they were all Gudebrod numbers, the old blue and green high end rods had a 4 digit number that I couldn't find anywhere in any catalog, or other listing. Wife has me remodeling again after just finishing the house the renter tried to burn down by accident so my rod room is storing stuff so I can get at things to work, or I'd try to find it.

Date: February 24, 2022 03:45PM

I used to have a list of threads used by St. Croix, but they were all Gudebrod numbers, the old blue and green high end rods had a 4 digit number that I couldn't find anywhere in any catalog, or other listing. Wife has me remodeling again after just finishing the house the renter tried to burn down by accident so my rod room is storing stuff so I can get at things to work, or I'd try to find it.

Date: February 24, 2022 03:58PM

Thank you Roger. The rod is brand new just got it under their warranty. I broke the original Avid I had that was made in 2010 and replaced it with the newest model Avid. I'll be able to fix the cracked area of epoxy without re-wrapping the guide thankfully.
It is an unusual color pattern they've gone with for the new model but I must say I quite like it and will probably try out a few similar colored blanks with see through thread here in the near future.

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: February 25, 2022 08:42AM

Sounds like you're all set, but for what it's worth. I had a repair come in over the summer from a good customer and he needed the rod ASAP. Didn't have any see-through, but ProWrap Cool Mint (403) was damn near perfect.

Posted by: Glenn Knepprath (---)
Date: February 26, 2022 11:46AM

Tyler contact this guy he will tell you! Name: Don Becker at don@donstacklehawaii.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster