I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

25H or 20H???
Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: February 22, 2022 12:48PM

Need some advice: My friend has asked me to build an 8' 2-piece American made rod for him. He has selected a Stryker CT804C-2 blank (8', 2-piece, rated 10-25#, moderate action, salmon blank). He'll be using a Shimano 5000 spinning reel primarily with (15-20#) mono. My question is what size stripper should I use to start the guide train, 25H or 20H? He also uses a longer bite leader and will be winding it through the guides so I was planning on increasing the size of running guides and tip-top. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 25H or 20H???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2022 12:51PM

By stripper I'll assume you mean the butt guide (1st guide from the reel). If you an get by with it you'd like to use the 20H. The size mono he'll be using might be an issue with a 20 ring, maybe, maybe not. I think what you'll need to do is rig up both ways and see which one works better. Of course this means you'll have to buy both guides and some of these things aren't exactly inexpensive these days. Do you build enough rods that you'd have use for the one you don't use on this one? If so, I'd buy both and spend an hour test casting and see what you think.

Date: February 22, 2022 01:04PM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 22, 2022 03:17PM

I've built quite a few salmon rods in that line class in the spinning configuration, with mono I would use the 25, also since this is a blank most used in a rod holder the ratings you see are for trolling, or soaking bait or lures. Casting weight will be considerably lighter.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 22, 2022 04:12PM

Daniel,
If your friend would be using BRAID, even up to 30lb, the (KL?)20H would definitely be the best choice, even though the 5000 size reel is starting to get a bit large. But using 15-20lb MONO may throw you a curve-ball; the stiffer and more “spool memory” nature of mono may find the 25H a better choice. As Tom suggested, if you can afford the additional cost of extra guides and the time to test both reduction trains, that would reveal the best set-up. Tom failed to mention that it is not only the butt guide but the transition (2nd) guide as well which would need to be changed to maintain the proper group sizes, i.e. 20H, 10H, 5.5M -or- 25H, 12H, 5.5M. You also mentioned using larger runners, which is fine, but you will have to replace the 5.5M with a similar height guide in your preferred ring size, i.e. 5.5M = 14.6mm, 6L = 12.2mm, 7L = 13.2mm. Again, braid with a FG knot will allow the use of smaller runners.
How insistent is your friend in using mono? May I suggest convincing him to use braid and a FG knot to tie the leader to achieve and take full advantage of a true KR Concept rod, which was designed and developed for braid. It will cast further and more line can be spooled onto the reel. While braid may initially seem more expensive, that is offset by braid having a longer service life as well as the need to continually shorten mono to eliminate nicks and burrs.
That is my novice view of your scenario. Hopefully veterans such as Norman Miller or Jim Ising will read your topic and supply their vast and experienced opinions and suggestions.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 22, 2022 04:39PM

Consult those who should know best, the people who designed and sell the guides, AnglersResource.net. Their software on their site is excellent, easy to use, and gives in my opinion bullet-proof results. It's the KW software you want to use.

Just my opinion, but this is not a rod in which light weight/sensitivity is paramount, so I'd err on the big side rather than strive for the lightest build. The weight difference will be insignificant anyway. Also , with that big reel I think you want a higher guide, so probably the 25 makes more sense. But consult the software.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 22, 2022 05:51PM

I would only use a size 25. You really don't want to limit the use of the line on the rod to only using braid. The owner of the rod might say that he is only going to use braid, but inevitably, he will likely be using some other types of line - down the road

Not much penalty - if any - to use a size 25 rather than a 20 and for some lines, and or spacing one might very well find that the size 25 simply works much better.

Take care

Date: February 22, 2022 06:20PM

Good point, Roger.

Date: February 22, 2022 07:28PM

Thanks everyone for your advice- much appreciated! My friend insists he's only going to use mono so going with Fuji's software calculations (based on his reel size, etc.). I'll try 25H, 12H, 7L. The 7L is what the software suggest rather than the 5.5M.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 22, 2022 09:02PM

I would go with the 25.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 22, 2022 09:04PM

Agree with Roger , the 25 mm ring is the best choice if using mono in the 15 to 20 pound range . A 25 mm ring would also be my choice for 30 pound braid but anything up to 20 pound braid a 20 mm ring is fine even on spool diameters considerably larger than a 5000 size Shimano.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 22, 2022 09:29PM

This biggest disadvantage of erring towards a size 25 guide is something that may never be experienced by your customer. It’s what an absolute moose they can be for different types of travel. I’ve found they are heck for finding tubes that a person wants to personally carry very far. If you are moving a loose assortment of rods with them, they like to snag more than all of the others combined. TSA inspectors seem to hate to nurse them in and out of even the fattest tube. If portability is a question, I’d error towards smaller. If not, going “full Bullwinkle” is probably just fine.

Date: February 23, 2022 08:34AM

All the KLH tall guides may give a problem with some travel tubes, but the Temple Fork Outfitters triangular tube will take them all. + have room for other rods. Get the right guide then get the right travel tube.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 25, 2022 11:27AM

When selecting what type of line to use it's wise to consider air and water temperature. In cold weather/water some types of monofilament can behave like a slinky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster