I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tinting rod finish
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 20, 2022 11:43AM

What are the best ways to tint permagloss and or tinting rod finish in general and which would be the best for this application

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tinting rod finish
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 20, 2022 03:25PM

I think it is VooDoo Dust pigments by a wide margin for standard thread finish. Some people take Testers hobby paints and try to settle-out the pigments and then pour off the solvents. If you look at the MSDS’s for these, toxicity is always present and it varies by color. None are approved for environmental disposal in a sewer or on soil. Some of the solvents will still be left behind in the captured pigments to effect your finish, as well. VooDoo dust comes in a large assortment of colors, the cost is nearly nothing, and no harmful (carcinogenic) solvents have been added. I’ve never tinted Permagloss as I don’t use it.

Date: February 20, 2022 03:35PM

I have found tons of mica powders that I’ve been thinking of using do they have to be from voodoo or any powder pigment will work? Not that I have anything against voodoo just if they don’t have the specific color

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 20, 2022 03:52PM

Any of this class of products should work equally well, if the grind is small enough. VooDoo has dozens of dust options that match traditional rod building and fish habitat related colors and themes, great packaging, scoops, return customer discounts, and they carry most popular brands of components for efficient use of shipping costs. I don’t live near a retail store that stocks any of these kinds of things.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2022 05:17PM

Be very careful how much pigment you add - it can and usually does affect the final characteristics of the finish. PG cannot be tinted to opaque - you'll have to settle for an actual tint, not a true color change.

Date: February 21, 2022 05:28PM

Yup that’s all I’m looking for is just a tiny something that catches the eye at certain times, I’m not looking to do the whole entire blank just a section

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster