I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for mag bass rod
Posted by: Zachary guyach (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 10:28PM

What guides and ring material do you like to use for mag bass blanks? I got a NFC mag bass HM blank that is going to be used for everything but the kitchen sink. Will Fuji alconite guides downplay the blanks potential too much? Their cost point is pretty low but SIC guides cost 3x as much and this will be a freshwater only rod. Thanks for the input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for mag bass rod
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: February 17, 2022 10:42PM

Alconite should do fine. SIC guides can be brittle and break easier. Any online search for 'SIC' and 'brittle' and 'breaking' will pull up numerous examples.

Date: February 17, 2022 10:55PM

Kent Griffith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alconite should do fine. SIC guides can be brittle
> and break easier. Any online search for 'SIC' and
> 'brittle' and 'breaking' will pull up numerous
> examples.

I have come across that but I've also read that may be over-reported and not as much as an issue anymore. Honestly, I'm not worried about them breaking.

I also was looking at the American tackle TiForged guides, but I've never used them before

Posted by: Michael Ward (162.191.124.---)
Date: February 17, 2022 11:11PM

Alps MXN with Zirconium if you want something nicer than Alconite - not as brittle as SiC

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 11:59PM

Alconite is a quality ceramic . If I was planning on targeting mostly long running hard fighting gamefish I might opt for SIC but Alconite is extremely popular and a huge seller for very good reason even on top end rods .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2022 06:57AM

Weight between aconite and SIC is similar and better ring to frame mounting methods have made "spit" or broken rings almost a rarity. I doubt you're going to find much difference in terms of performance, and certainly not from a casting perspective. On large, hard running fish where line may spool out for many yards at a fast pace, SIC might be a consideration. For what you're doing you'll not likely see any difference.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:56AM

You really don't need Ti frames on all fresh water rods. Fuji Stainless frames with Alconite rings will work great. I would use an RV6 or KW10 followed by KB5s and KT5s on the tip section with 5 tip top. I believe any quality frame that is similar to these would also work. AT, Seaguide, Alps or Kigen.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 08:51AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> You really don't need Ti frames on all fresh water
> rods. Fuji Stainless frames with Alconite rings
> will work great. I would use an RV6 or KW10
> followed by KB5s and KT5s on the tip section with
> 5 tip top. I believe any quality frame that is
> similar to these would also work. AT, Seaguide,
> Alps or Kigen.

Sounds good. I planned on going kw10, kw 5.5, then a few kb5s and a few more kt5s

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 09:38AM

You don’t NEED Titanium frames but they will make a noticeable difference in the feel of the rod. I have rods built exactly the same except for guidetrain and the difference substantial IMO. You could always order a set of each, placing them in the same positions and see firsthand what I am talking about . The unused set could then be utilized for another project or returned to seller for a refund.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 09:49AM

I almost exclusively use Fuji KR guides. As Lance suggests KW10, KW5.5, and KB/KT 5 or 4.5 runners, with an LG tip top. Can’t go wrong with them.
Norm

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 10:20AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
> You don’t NEED Titanium frames but they will
> make a noticeable difference in the feel of the
> rod.

Thanks for saying this. I have never used titanium frames because I never considered them worth the expense, but if what you say makes that much of a difference then I would consider using them on rods where sensitivity is a critical issue. This comment is a gem in the haystack! PayDirt on page 1~! I'll keep this nugget on the back burner until needed.

ADDED:

I gotta ask... I can see how a titanium frame versus steel can make a noticeable difference on say tall guides where the titanium can really make such a difference like on a spinning rod, but I use a lot of mico guides on all of my bass rods and the ring is so darn close to the blank as is, so I have to wonder if titanium versus steel makes that much of a difference with so little metal in between ring and rod?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2022 10:22AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 11:42AM

If a spinning rod, I would go with the Microwave 25's. They come in Black, Chrome or TiON and with the Nanolite rings, they are braid-impervious! The guide train is also very light, especially the running guides, so the blank action is retained pretty well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2022 11:42AM by Richard Bowers.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:33PM

Kent, I build 99.8% micro bass rods. Even in micros the difference is substantial IMO. A titanium framed vs stainless butt guide ( especially if you are using Kw’s, IMO kw’s are TANKS) will be almost 1/2 the weight! Many say the difference is negligible, however; many of those people have not weighed their guides to see the real world difference. If you are building on an HM blank allow it to be the most efficient that it can be by adding the least amount of weight to it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:43PM

There's certainly no problem with alconite rings,

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 19, 2022 09:22AM

Alconite is great and I have used it for years. SIC is also great, but overkill for my expectations/needs.

I remember when we all drooled over Carbaloy Guides! Ha! (Never saw one of them wear out, btw)

What are your values for a particular build? I try to weigh cost, confidence, conditions, and cosmetics.

I do get the "weight is not great" angle, too. I need to get my scales out and satisfy my curiosity!

I think most, if not all, modern ceramic and metal guides, are going to hold up just fine to most modern lines under freshwater large or smallmouth bass fishing conditions. I'm talking about the reputable manufacturers, not knock offs.

On a side note, I built a couple rods for a crappie fishing buddy and used the REC guides because he abuses his gear. He uses braid exclusively and has caught literally hundreds of fish with no visible signs of wear or grooving; tip top included. Granted, crappie don't put an inordinate amount of stress on a rig. However, hundreds/thousands of repetitions with braid count for something even with minimal tension.

Date: February 19, 2022 02:06PM

Just weighed some Fuji KR casting guide sets. My scale is an old double pan scientific scale and will weigh to 0.1gm. Not the most accuse scale but certainly good enough for comparison purposes.

1) The SS set contained BC Alconite guides with one KW10, one KW5.5 two KB4.5 and five KT4.5 the total weight was about 1.8 gm.

2) A Titanium2 Sic set contained the same styles, sizes and number of guides as the SS set and total weight was about 1.1 gm.

3) A second T2 Sic set substituted a RV6 in place of the KW10, and the total weight was about 0.7 gm.

4) The SS KB/KT 4.5 guides weighed about 0.6 gm, and the T2 KB/KT 4.5 guides weighed about 0.35 gm.

All three guide sets are sufficiently light, and give great performance. However, the titanium guides are about 40% lighter than the SS guides. It is also clear that the Sic T2RV6 is much lighter than the Sic T2 KW10. Hope this is of some help.
Norm

Date: February 19, 2022 08:06PM

Norm, that's a great post. Thank you for the info. I personally already ordered an alconite set but you've really made me second guess that, so thanks for that. Haha

Date: February 19, 2022 09:07PM

The Alconite SS guides will work very well. For me it’s very difficult to tell a real functional or performance difference between the SS and titanium guide sets. However, the titanium guides are really nice, but not sure if 3.5 X the price of SS guides (about $20) for titanium guides (about $70) is worth it.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: February 20, 2022 11:58AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
> Kent, I build 99.8% micro bass rods. Even in
> micros the difference is substantial IMO. A
> titanium framed vs stainless butt guide (
> especially if you are using Kw’s, IMO kw’s are
> TANKS) will be almost 1/2 the weight! Many say the
> difference is negligible, however; many of those
> people have not weighed their guides to see the
> real world difference. If you are building on an
> HM blank allow it to be the most efficient that it
> can be by adding the least amount of weight to it.

Thomas,
I use Ti framed guides because I mostly build in shore or bay rods for saltwater. I honestly can not tell a difference from SS frames to Ti ones, other than the fact that Ti does not corrode in saltwater environments. I have weighed them on a jewelry scale and the weights are identical on the small 5mm and 4mm guides. Sometimes the Ti framed ones weigh even more, I believe it is due to inconsistencies in the frame stamping. Also Alconite rings are lighter than SIC or Torzite.
Tight Lines

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster