I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glow in the dark paint
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 04:31PM

A client of mine wants me to finish a store bought rod with glow in the dark paint.Has anyone used glow paint on a rod and would a top coat of flex coat negate the glow effect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glow in the dark paint
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2022 04:41PM

It won't negate the glow paint from working, but would add a lot of unnecessary weight.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 04:45PM

Glow in the dark thread?

[mudhole.com]

I have used it for rod tips on night fishing rods.

Meaning to say finish did not stop it from glowing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2022 04:50PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.67.16.52.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 06:48PM

Hitena has a glow thread.. its works to an extent.. best way to describe how glow thread works on a fishing rod is simple.. the 'glow' is activated by UV light.. thread epoxy is inherently UV resistant (to protect everything) so yes it will glow.. but dont expect it to pop like it does before epoxy..

as for a blank finish, if you go with a white base, your better off i made the mistake of using a black base, didnt glow much.. createx wicked airbrush paint, with either permagloss or or thier topcoats work decent.. the glow paint needs atleast 3 light coats

Going the airbrush route is your best choice for keeping weight down.. doubling that with glow in the dark thread would be nifty..

Hole that helps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 07:26PM

When you say "finish a store bought rod with glow in the dark paint", I'm assuming you're intending to paint the blank. If so, why coat it with Flex-Coat?

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 09:34AM

I was thinking of putting flex coat over the glow paint to prevent the glow from peeling

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 09:40AM

If you were to put any topcoat on, use u-40 permagloss, practice on a junk blank if you have never used it before.. or go the route of Createx automotive top coats.. ive done both ways with ok results.. flex coat would dampen the sensitivity i would think if applied across the entire rod

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:21PM

Thread/wrap finish is never recommended as a blank coating, many past posts on this topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 09:13PM by Lynn Behler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster