I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shad Bait Spinning Blank
Posted by: Michael Tuma (209.237.110.---)
Date: February 16, 2022 11:26AM

I am looking for recommendations for a spinning blank to cast #5 (3/16 oz), #6 (1/4 oz), and #7 (5/16 oz) Rapala Shad Rap, something in the 7’ range but not longer. He will be mostly throwing these baits on the river around dams and rocks for walleye using #8 Suffix 832 braid line with a nice sweeping hook set.
I am having troubles choosing between multiple blanks and was wonder what you would pick?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shad Bait Spinning Blank
Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: February 16, 2022 01:15PM

I built one a few years ago for exactly this application. I used MHX 7'0" Med-Light Elite-X Rod Blank - NSJ842-MHX and paired it with Microwave guides. Cast like a dream.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2022 07:45PM

I've thrown #5 and #7 Shad Raps (the balsa ones) on one of the drop shot rods I built on an NFC DS 6107 IM blank. I was fishing for bass though, and never caught any of any size. But it cast them really well.

And just a personal opinion. Those #5 and #7 balsa Shad Raps have got to be some of the worst casting baits ever invented. But they sure catch fish !!!

Date: February 17, 2022 09:24AM

After some tossing and turning last night I think I will construct this rod on a Rainshadow IMMS68ML. I don’t think the current from the river would make the #7 feel like it was over powering the rod.

Date: February 17, 2022 09:26AM

David, one of my biggest worries is the casting length with these baits. They just don’t cast well at all.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2022 10:07AM

You might look at a fast action popping blank.

Date: February 17, 2022 11:31AM

Back to the search. I was just told he would like to use up to 1/2oz crankbaits.

Posted by: Doug Scott (---)
Date: February 17, 2022 12:24PM

Buhido CB72/8-15. It's 2 inches longer than what you want but will perfect especially for the heavier bait. I have 2 . One set up for casting and one spinning.

Posted by: Doug Scott (---)
Date: February 17, 2022 12:27PM

Bushido.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 02:00PM

Immortal popping medium power. The longer the better. Moderate fast action is best with braid and treble hooks.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 03:18PM

I would go with the IMMS610MXF over the 68ML. I think the IMMWS72ML would be better than either of those 2.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 17, 2022 04:53PM

That MHX popping blank (P843) looks great to me! I throw a shad ton of SR 7's up in Canada on a St. Croix 69MLXF. Yes, extra fast action, too! The versatility: I can put a 3/8 jig on it if I want and backtroll; pitch a T-rig fluke
into weed beds, or deadstick a CD-9 drifting points. Might even be better if I extended the 6'9" to 7'3" or so.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 05:44PM

It's good that you're building a spinning rod, because a rod that will throw a #5 balsa Shad Rap for any distance is IMO, going to be overloaded by a 1/2 oz crankbait. I'd suggest asking him which baits he will be using most often, and then build a rod to fit those baits.

And Michael, I hear ya loud and clear on how well those Shad Raps cast. Or rather, don't cast. lol I actually stepped up to a #9 Shad Rap for the extra weight, and the 9's cast very well, but they just don't catch the fish that the #7's do.

While I have no experience with the IMMWS72ML that Jeff mentioned, my guess is that it would fit the bill quite nicely. The extra length of the 7'2" blank is going to give you a cushioning effect which will come in handy with those small hooks on the #5 Shad Raps.

And I also think he is on point with having the 68ML down on his list. I built a jerkbait rod on a Revelation REVS68ML blank. It might be a little too much for a #5 Shad Rap. It has a decent bend into the mid section of the blank under load, but the tip is a little more stiff than you might think, which is why I chose it for a jerkbait rod. Otherwise it wouldn't be my choice for anything with treble hooks. Jerkbaits are a bit of a different animal than crankbaits when it comes to the attributes you need in a rod. At least IMO they are.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 17, 2022 09:44PM

I'm offering something a little different because I have found slightly more powerful blanks that were very good with Bomber Long As and similar lures especially during breezy conditions. The rod was the G Loomis PR8400S and the blanks I used were Shikari P, IP, and PP7000 when I built rods. This blank has the same characteristic in lighter power, I don't care what the line weight says the lure weights listed are far more accurate. I would look at the MHX SJ8600.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 21, 2022 11:30PM

I had a thing for Shad Raps from their first year out to about their next twenty-five. I just took my last ones out of my primary tackle boxes as I never use them anymore. They cast for distance worse than dryer lint while moving around more than a Niekro Brothers’ knuckleball. So many newer designs have also supplanted their fishing performance. Laurie Rapala isn’t building and testing them, nor are any other people in Finland doing that. The old ones had casting, running consistency, and breaking lip issues, but they were generally well built and equipped. The newer ones have kept the issues of old while losing the nice build quality. My rod building related point is that your customer might find a better range of blank choices if he is willing to move to more modern shad and jerk style baits. Rods that launch fluffy baits well don’t tend to jerk shadbaits with good control.

Posted by: John Nesse (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2022 11:53PM

I would highly recommend the NFC P704-1. Very light, slightly slower (moderate fast, I’d say) action which casts light baits very well, and plenty of power. I’ve used mind a ton for casting shad raps on the Mississippi River for walleyes - it’s a great combo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster