I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Precisely Measuring the Difference of Misaligned Guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 15, 2022 03:24PM

Phil,
That is all fine and dandy but when can we all expect the results from your test? It will be a great benefit to everyone; all of us get to finally view hard data facts supplied by you while you get to learn how to actually conduct a test yourself rather than expecting and relying on someone else to do it for you. Sounds like a win-win to me. Try it, you’ll like it, I’m sure ALL the rest of us will!!! I will even send you my RG Tele so you can use the same rod for your portion of the test. Unfortunately, I cannot email you because your email is hidden.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 15, 2022 04:44PM

Steven,
Just for your information, the daytime temps have PLUMMETED to 65* today lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 15, 2022 07:47PM

Mark, Phil Ewaniki never makes a contribution, and to expect him to do so is a most likely a waste of time. His forte is to dream up objections and complaints, based upon his limited experience
"double hauling" his way! He complains about subjects he knows little about, such as marketing and advertising, while offering nothing!

Don't expect a meaningful contribution from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2022 10:13PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: February 15, 2022 11:36PM

I would like to extend the thank you to those who continue to reply to this thread, both on-site and my personal email as well. Most recently, most of the replies have been geared around the effects of different line types and ambient temperature when used. While I cannot disagree with Mr. Erickson in that Mr. Ewaniki poses more questions than providing proof from data, as he often expects from others, I am confident Mr. Ewaniki will not allow himself to let so many of the rest of us down by not following through with his test of the casting distance of different line types at different temperatures. His premonitions certainly have merit and we are all anxious to learn of the data collected during his test. As stated earlier, My RG Tele rod is available to conduct his test to achieve a cohesive result between his and my tests.
Mr. Ewaniki, I cannot contact you off-site because your email is hidden. Please contact me through my personal email which is available to all.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2022 08:12PM

"hat's when advertisers and their dream world appear: where rods have "soulful actions" and are "stronger" or "smoother" or "powerful" or "accurate" or "sensitive" - terms which ignore measurement or even a definition."

So Phil, how about you providing some data rather than just complaints about advertisers and marketers. How about you doing some measuring and defining rather than just complaining? How about you just stop complaining?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 03:24PM

The call for micro-measurements of guide alignment did not come from me. Check the first post on this topic. I only wished to remind zealous rod-builders of the many variables* which might influence their measurements and leave them with inaccurate data. When I align guides I do it by eye. Works for me. As for advertiser jive-talk - "soulful, accurate, sensitive", etc. - if it makes anyone a better angler or caster I would welcome any evidence of these successes. But if micro-measurements of guides and their placements makes people happy they should go for it!
* ambient temperature, type of line tested, diameter of line tested.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 05:00PM

Phil, you continue your tiring campaign against advertisers, marketers, whatever ticks you off, continually complaining about their lack of data, continually requesting data on the most suibtle variables like ambient temperature or humidity or whatever you can come up with. Making arguments against points no one has ever made. Like "pushing on a line." Stop complaining and start doing the ridiculous tests you think others should be doing. And bring the data instead of banal complaints. If you cannot or are not willing to do that, then stop complaining about others.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 06:05PM

I can see it now ..... the marketing jargon I mean. "Introducing the new TRGS, thermal reactive guide system. The only guide system in the world that adapts to environmental conditions, allowing your rods to cast more accurately, with less effort, and for greater distance in any kind of weather, and with any kind and size of line. You have to experience it to believe it ..... it will touch your very soul"

Waring: This product contains materials deemed to cause tears of joy by the state of California. Use caution in their application.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 11:44PM

"Introducing the new TRGS, thermal reactive guide system. The only guide system in the world that adapts to environmental conditions, allowing your rods to cast more accurately, with less effort, and for greater distance in any kind of weather, and with any kind and size of line. You have to experience it to believe it ..... it will touch your very soul"

OMG Phil would go absolutely ballistic if he read that . I can picture Phil suffering extreme overpowering rage sweating profusely just at the thought of it .

Take it easy Phil, it's not real ...........yet .

Date: February 17, 2022 11:44PM

Dup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2022 11:45PM by chris c nash.

Date: February 18, 2022 01:47PM

David,
Thanks, what an awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your TRGS has afforded my habitual over-thing pea brain an exciting new avenue to pursue, perfect and conquer lol.

Mark Talmo

Date: February 18, 2022 02:26PM

Mr. Ewaniki,
You are obviously confused with your statement “The call for micro-measurements of guide alignment did not come from me. Check the first post on this topic.” Everyone knows that I am the OP and conducted the Casting Distance of Misaligned Guides. However, in your third post on this topic, you stated “Different lines: nylon, fluorocarbon, braid - are certain react differently to substantial changes in ambient temperature. More research has to be done on this topic to include spin-casters who cast in different latitudes with different average temperatures and during different seasons.” I thanked you for offering to expand my test to include different line types used at different temperatures. We are all anxious to learn of your test results. I am confident you will not allow yourself to let so many of the rest of us down by not following through with your test of the casting distance of different line types at different temperatures. Your premonitions certainly have merit and we are all anxious to learn of the data collected during your test. When can we all expect your results? As stated earlier, My RG Tele rod is available to conduct your test to achieve a cohesive result between your and my tests. I cannot contact you off-site because your email is hidden. Please contact me through my personal email which is available to all.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 03:43PM

Chris: Suggest you hide your e-mail address. You will soon begin receiving e-mails from wild-eyed rod builders seeking the rod components you described above. No lie! Some time ago some wag facetiously claimed to have access to long-distance guides and backlash reducing guides. You can guess what happened.

Date: February 18, 2022 03:51PM

David described them not me I just quoted his post .

Date: February 18, 2022 04:19PM

Mr. Ewaniki,
Excuse my ignorance but “wag”?????

Mark Talmo

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:42PM

Chris ....... Phil is the one that's going to develop them !!! My guess is he's not going to be publishing any data supporting the advertising claims. To publish data you actually have to perform tests. And we all know how Phil is about doing his own testing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 08:08PM

Mark:

"Wag": clown, comedian, comic, farceur, funnyman, humorist, jokester, wit . . . "

Date: February 20, 2022 12:52AM

Mr Ewaniki,
Thank you for enlightening me on the term “wag”; I have never heard it before. But all of us are still anxious and waiting for you to enlighten us with your test results of the casting difference between different line types at different temperatures. Although your previous track record may reflect you not supporting your claims with hard data facts as you often request of others, I am confident you will not allow yourself to let all of the rest of us down by not offering the intriguing and beneficial results from your test. While certain you can conduct the test by yourself, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: February 20, 2022 09:47AM

I appreciate trust expressed in my ability to make minuscule measurements of casting performance [distance, accuracy] caused by different guides. However, I have never seen a SINGLE published study reporting measurements in feet/inches of casting distance or accuracy due to different brands or models of guides. This has led me to the conclusion that there is no significant difference, or multitudes of rod builders much brighter and more experienced than I would have published these differences - and if I were to seek such imaginary differences I would be on a fool's errand. Feel free to prove me wrong, but please use measurements and numbers, not generalizations or insults. For millennia logicians have agreed that You can't prove a negative, such as "Ghosts don't exist." Above posts command me to prove imaginary numbers exist?!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2022 10:00AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: February 20, 2022 01:55PM

Mr. Ewaniki,
Allow me to correct your confusion; the issue has nothing to do with guides. Rather, your statement “Different lines: nylon, fluorocarbon, braid - are certain react differently to substantial changes in ambient temperature. More research has to be done on this topic to include spin-casters who cast in different latitudes with different average temperatures and during different seasons” is concerned with different LINE TYPES used at different TEMPERATURES. This is the test we are all graciously anxious for you to provide. With your insistence and expectance of others supplying hard data facts and figures for so many other issues, I am confident you will not allow yourself to let the rest of us down when it is your turn to provide the test result numbers to the issue which you introduced.
I had never seen a test to measure the difference in casting distance of misaligned guides = I conducted the test myself and supplied the collected data for all to view. I had also never seen a test to measure the casting difference between a KR Concept guide train and an old-school COF = I conducted the test myself and supplied the collected data for all to view. I enjoy devising and conducting such tests and then revealing the outcome to hopefully benefit others. Try it yourself and discover the enjoyment you may have been missing all these years!!! All of us will appreciate it immensely.

Mark Talmo

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster