I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Telescopic Rod with Removable Guides Project
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 09, 2022 08:09PM

For those of you who were interested with my post on 02/07/2022 “UL Telescopic Blanks Availability?”, I am offering photos (albeit not very good quality) of my project to fabricate a telescoping rod with removable guides (RG). The whole purpose of the RGs was to afford PROPER guide spacing as per 2-line static load testing yet allow the telescoping sections to FULLY collapse inside one another. I have never seen or heard of a tele which accomplishes either let alone both. While there are a number of other tele rods available, none were acceptable for an UL application for 3 reasons; 1. All but one were rated > 8lb test, 2. Each guide is mounted to the tip of each section which dictates the (incorrect) spacing, 3. When collapsed / stowed, the guides were left stacked together leaving the smaller sections exposed and vulnerable to damage. Admittedly, they are easy to deploy though.
The objective was to produce a compact (both length and diameter) pack-rod which protects the thinner, more fragile upper sections while taking advantage of proper guide spacing (and style) to fully utilize the qualities of the blank. My pea brain could not produce a more feasible method than the RG idea.
The original plan was to utilize the blank itself as the “mold” to produce FG sleeves, similar to my CARL ferrules, sized to fit the various guide locations on the blank, and then wrapping a guide on them. However, at .025in wall, I felt they would add too much bulk, weight and stiffness. The final RMs produced are fabricated over a 2-ply wound, 3K CF tow base, wrapped with size A thread and 2 coats of thread epoxy = <.020in wall. Total bare guide weight of the 9-guide KR Concept, KL-H / KB train = 4g; wrapped and finished = 6g (easy to weigh since they are removable). Due to the thin wall of the RG tubes, they almost appear as if wrapped directly onto the blank.
Admittedly, a RG Tele requires a bit more to deploy although <60 seconds. Combined with the fact they are rather labor-intensive to build, it is understandably doubtful everyone (anyone?) will rush out to build one, even if it is a world-apart from other mainstream tele rods. If nothing else, at least it can be done.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telescopic Rod with Removable Guides Project
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 09, 2022 08:29PM

OK...pretty cool.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 11:09PM

WOW, thats allot of work. I was on a similar mission a couple years ago, I wanted to build a telescopic surf fishing rod that I could fit into my wifes car for beach trips. I had a 7.5 telescopic blank and I extended the butt section 12". I wanted to be able to take advantage of as much of the telescoping as possible, so I found a piece of a blank with the same taper as mine and slid it onto the blank where the butt guide would go. I wrapped the guide onto the sleeve and it works great. I just push the guide loose when I am packing it and telescope the rod down as far as it will go. It allows me to take a surf rod with me anytime we use her car. It looks like you have done the same thing with all your guides, mission accomplished?

Sorry, I do not have any pictures and I don't have the rod at home now either.

Steve

Date: February 09, 2022 11:59PM

Chris and Steve,
Thanks for the replies. Although possibly not a major break-through in rod building, the RG Tele is an example of how different approaches can solve different issues. We are all here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: February 10, 2022 07:50AM

That is a great project Mark! With the weight delta being only 2g you have blown my mind.

A.P.

Posted by: Wade Christensen (165.225.10.---)
Date: February 10, 2022 11:00AM

Mark,

That is amazing! Something I have been thinking about since I started building rods. I would love to know your step by step process for entire rod.

Date: February 10, 2022 04:49PM

Aaron,
Thanks for the reply and complement. I was pleasantly surprised with the minimal weight of the CF tow base + thread + epoxy as well. I have no way to weight the CF separately but can guarantee it is infinitesimal = the weight of a RG is virtually identical to the guide being wrapped directly onto the blank.
Wade,
Thank you also. The RG fabrication process is fairly well explained within this and my previous posts on UL Telescopic Blanks. The process, which is similar to my CARL ferrules, is fully detailed in my “Self Fabricated Tubular Tapered Fiberglass Ferrules” article in Volume 24, Issue 3 of Rod Maker magazine. I could email you a copy but your email is hidden and you would not have the accompanying, descriptive photos.
As for the telescopic blank itself, a Tenkara style rod is probably the best option. If you try to section a 1-piece blank, you will lose quite a bit of the overall length due to the taper as well as the overlap of the BOT ferrules; my 6ft vintage FG Conolon lost 16in = I had to graft on a big-butt section from a different model blank. While impossible to NOT lose any length, employing a 1-piece blank with very thin walls (CF) and a steep, fast taper will reduce the loss.
I enjoy, if not thrive upon, solving challenges and this RG project has been no different. Now if I could just discover how to produce a split Tennessee handle, that would be something lol!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 10, 2022 04:50PM

Mark, that is cool as all get out. How does it fish? Or have you not had it out yet?

Anyhow...... very cool. and great job. Definitely some serious craftsmanship involved there.

(Wayne's World we're not worthy bow)

Date: February 10, 2022 07:36PM

David,
Thanks for your reply. Give me a break, the epoxy isn’t even fully cured yet lol!!! While actually fishing the “RG Tele” will obviously be the ultimate test, the closest fishable waters to me are Pay-To-Play “settling basins” which I am not into. But I AM anxious to learn how it performs and may have to lower my standards.
While flattered by your “serious craftsmanship involved there” comment, any serious craftsmanship involved was spent on developing the method more-so than actually fabricating the RGs; any rod builder capable of thread wrapping and applying epoxy can construct them. Granted and admittedly, thread wrapping over the soft, irregular wound CF tow base was a challenge, if not simply a PITA, but if I can do it, anybody can as well.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 10, 2022 08:08PM

Mark, go catch some thing with it ! Even if it is an boot. LOL

Date: February 10, 2022 11:43PM

Phil,
Thanks for your veteran reply as well. While every rod builder or angler's ultimate goal is to catch fish, hopefully not a boot, the RG Tele project was more focused on the safe and convenient transportation and storage of the rod to afford the backpacker / angler a PROPER fishing tool once to their destination. Although those frequenting the roadside waters may not see the need or importance, those hiking or packing into more remote waters may find a definite advantage. While the RM Tele described here is a spinning rod, there is NO reason a fly or casting affair could not be employed as well.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster