I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank misallignment
Posted by: Tamas Toth (---)
Date: February 09, 2022 10:05AM

Hi Mates,

what is the best solution, when my rod blank has a misallignement mistake?
After finishing the whole building process, I have recognised, that there's a misallignment between the top two sections (fly rod, 4 pcs). The female part of the ferrule is not coaxial with the blank axis, so the top section stands sideways. It looks as if it was cracked. The deviation is roughly 3 mm (cca. 1/8") At the tip-top. The wall thickness on one side of the ferrule is visibly smaller than on the other. Let's face it, once You recognise, it looks ugly. But I'm more concerned if it could lead to a rod break more easily or inevitably. I have written to the seller, sent them the photos, but until recieving their opinion, I would like to ask Yours, what is the best solution, if it is considered not to be a warranty case.

1. What do You think, can it cause extra stress on wrong points of the blank, or not? Will it lead to rod break?
2. What is the best solution? Shall I leave the guides as they stand now (on the spine), or shall I remove them, and put back regarding the deviation direction? In this case, the guides would not be placed on the spine, but the deviation would stay in the plane of the rod bend when casting.
3. Or is it an everyday situation, and I have been fortunate not to meet is until now?

Sorry if my description is inexplicable. It would be the best to show a picture, but it is not possible.

Many thanks for the advice.

Best regards, TT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank misallignment
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2022 10:54AM

The guides do not need to be on the spine. It is fine and somewhat advantageous to build on the straightest axis - tip and butt high, belly low. My main concern is your description of the ferrule. All blanks will be thicker on one side than anywhere else around the circumference ( [www.rodbuilding.org] ). So this is not unusual unless it is is extremely pronounced. Without seeing it it's hard to say if you have an issue to be worried with or if it's really nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 09, 2022 01:01PM

I always build pieced fly rods on the straightest axis as stated by Tom (tip up or down but not sideways). Otherwise it will look crooked or off as you have experienced. Re-align the pieces on the straightest axis and put the guides on accordingly. If there is a severe bend, ask for a replacement. You can't change the grip and reel seat if already done so the next three pieces need to be aligned but you may be lucky and only the two tip end pieces need to have the guides reset.
Good Luck!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 05:01PM

Tamas,
It would concerm me very much if the walls of the female ferrule were not uniform.
It would be worse if it were sections S1 and S2 though.
When fully flexxed the load on S3/S4 is less because the flexed blank is almost straight there.
Nontheless - the S3/S4 ferrule will be weaker than if wall thickness were uniform.
I would ask the manufacturer to ship you a new tip.
Herb
PS - thinking more on it - it will be a structural consideration while casting.
Get a new tip.
PPS - moving guides will not solve the underlying issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2022 05:06PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: February 10, 2022 06:53AM

Thank You for the usefull advice. I have checked the blank, and really, if Iturn the top section by 135°, the allignment is very much better, definitely good enough to not to hurt my eyes and catch some fish.
I'm courious about what the seller and manufacturer will tell about the wall thickness difference, but maybe I have overreacted it too.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2022 08:02AM

Wall thickness is never even all the way around. One side will be thicker. Look at the photo in the article I linked to and see how yours compares.

Date: February 10, 2022 08:47AM

Thank You for the article, it was very useful. but believe me, mine is way more uneven. It doesn't mean that it must be out of the tolerance limit, that's why i have enquired about it at the seller too. I'm much more relaxed and settled about is, due to Your answers. :)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 10, 2022 09:18AM

Tamas,
Did you send them a picture so manufacturer can evaluate??
If not - I think it would be a good idea.
Herb

Date: February 11, 2022 03:50AM

Dear Herb,

Yes, I have contacted Pacific Bay and asked them if it will be strong enough or not. Now I'm waiting for their answer. The dealer isn't sure, but he acts nice, buys a backup from Pacbay, to have it on hand if anything bad would happen to this.
The only thing I can do now, finishing it, put it to an extensive casting test, and try to catch some big fish. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster