I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Dedicated Euro Nymphing Blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 08, 2022 06:06PM

Hi all,
It's finally here.
We have two models:

10'6" #2 and 10'6" #3.

These will have a softer tip than the stock 10'6" Affinity-X's.

Some might remember that the 11'0" Affinity-X was to be left alone because the tip wassuitable for EN'ing.

They will also depower the tip (-) 1 line weight. But at this time, there is no design for this. The design fee is $204 U.S. for this particular blank.
Once a customer has it designed, it will be open to anyone.
If enough people want to buy one - I will pick-up the design fee.

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Dedicated Euro Nymphing Blank
Posted by: Jeff Kruger (---.sttlwax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 10:01PM

Cool news Herb. Will be curious to hear opinions and comparisons once folks have fished them a bit. Currently the T&T Contact II is widely considered the gold standard for ESN. I own 2 of them and believe they are much better rods than either of the Sages. The gap between what most folks consider to be the next tier down, like the offerings from Echo, don't come close to the Sage ESN or T&T for sensitivity. Would be cool to have another alternative, if the CTS can approach their level of performance. Do you know if CTS plans to offer any larger ESN rods? Currently the choices for a steelhead appropriate ESN specific rod are very limited. T&T DDT does sell the Contact II blanks, including the 6 weight.

Date: February 08, 2022 11:53PM

Jeff
When we polled people using the stock Affinity-X as a nymphing rod - the consusus was that the 11'0" blank is good as-is.
BTW - there is the option to have an 11'0" Afinity-X #3 with a depowered tip (-) 1 line weight,
It was thought that the 10'0" "X" was too stiff.
So Stephen deciided to make the first nymphing dedicated blank at 10'6".
I just sold the first ever built to one on my new customers.
Herb

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 07:51AM

Jeff, when I got introduced to euro nymphing by a guide, I used his T&T contact II (3 wt). The next day I started planning a build of my own, and ordered an 11', 3wt Affinity MX from Herb (same tip as Affinity X, but more moderate action which is my personal preference). While I only got to fish it for a day, I'd say the affinity MX I built is of similar quality to the contact II. They are definitely a little different in feel, but performance is similar (I have no issues with sensitivity, recovery is quick, and it has plenty of backbone). I imagine this new design will be very good as well, but I'm happy with my build as-is so don't feel the need to order this new configuration (at least for now lol).

Also, you may be interested in the new diamondback ideal nymph rod coming out soon. It is a new taper designed by Joe Goodspeed (creator of the T&T Contact and Contact II) after leaving T&T.

Date: February 09, 2022 10:36AM

Nick,
Thank you.
Herb

Posted by: Paul Gummer (---.telstraclear.net)
Date: February 11, 2022 06:14PM

Hi Guys, Just discovered this site and your posts about CTS Euro blanks. Coincidentally, I have been working on an idea for a rather brutal version and visited the CTS factory only yesterday as I live in NZ. My son has a 3-weight 9ft Afffinty X blank for dries and he absolutely loves it. So, I looked at their Affinity X blanks. The 2-weight feels delightful and would be fine here for medium size fish in summer flows on our rivers. But Winter and Spring are a different kettle of fish, so to speak.

I fish rivers such as the Tongariro on the winter spawning runs and other North Island rivers that are fairly wide and swift. I mostly Euro nymph and have to use 4mm beads on the point with a 3mm or 3.5mm on the dropper for the higher flows such as Springtime. On the winter sessions in clear water, I have found that high numbers of fish come to a single #14 / 3mm bead Pheasant Tail on a small dropper with a AAA split shot (0.8 grams) on the point. In coloured water, 5mm to 6mm egg flies take over. I use a long tapered mono leader (0.57mm to 0.23mm) with 4X or 3X tippet depending on the current. A typical session sees anything up to a few dozen fish in the net giving three major issues.

Firstly, casting from 0.3g to 0.8g in a swift cast on about 30ft of line from the rod tip every 3 to 5 seconds becomes tiring. Secondly, cold water fish don’t usually move much for a fly and so takes can be very subtle. Finally most fish are 2lb to 4lb and netting them in areas of fast current where there is no slack water, puts a huge strain on the rod. I am wondering if Euro nymphing for steelhead for you guys is similar? Jeff, you mentioned steelhead and as the Tongariro fish were originally Californian steelhead strain, I am guessing we may be looking at developing a similar blank?

So, I went to CTS to look at their Affinity X blanks and will probably run with a 10ft 8in blank with a #3 tip for the subtle bites, followed by #4 in the mid sections to hold up on the cast with heavy flies and shot, and #5 butt section – necessarily delicate to brutal in one blank. I’m using the Rec recoil guides and downlocking reel seat for lightness.

How do you guys find Affinity X 4-weight lower sections cope with big fish/fast water? Do you think 5-weight butt sections might hold up better? I guess it’s a trade off between lightness and power. Any thoughts or experiences would be welcomed. Thanks.

Paul Gummer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2022 06:26PM by Paul Gummer.

Posted by: Jeff Lumley (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 21, 2023 02:24PM

Hi guys,

Has anyone fished the CTS Euro X rods (either the 2wt or 3wt)? I'm looking for any kind of information, feedback, or comparative frame of reference of how they fish/cast or load different sized beads/protect tippet/recover. I can't find anything online.

Thank you,

Jeff

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 21, 2023 03:16PM

I answered the other post, not an expert, short story, 11 ft. 3 wt. borrowed rod, fish to 5 lbs. in decent current, brilliant rod.

Date: June 21, 2023 04:22PM

Thank you Spencer - understood!

Posted by: Paul Gummer (202.36.96.---)
Date: June 21, 2023 08:10PM

Hi Jeff, I have a modified version of the #3 weight CTS Affinity X with lighter #2 weight tip. Have felt the #2 weight but not used it. The #3 weight with lighter tip can cover a broad range of fly/bead weights but its response is dependent on weight of flies/tungsten beads, distance to be cast and leader diameter. Add to that, depth, current strength, size of fish and there are many variables. I have used leaders from 0.30mm down to 0.18mm and there is a noticeable difference in ability to cast light beads. The micro leaders at 0.18mm or even lighter allow the rod to cast the equivalent of a single 3mm tungsten bead 30ft to 35ft from the angler. More than that needs more weight equivalent to a single 3.5mm tungsten bead. Thicker leaders are not as proportionately balanced, but they can happily deal with heavy flies such as 4mm tungsten beads. Fishing close with about 15 feet of line from rod tip to point fly is far more manageable with light flies down to a single 2.5mm tungsten bead. The #2 weight rod would deal with even lighter flies down to 2mm tungsten bead. Even finer micro leaders will give best presentation and minimise drag from line sag. Having said that, I had a great session with a single #20 CDC dry fly casting 30 feet with a long thick tapered mono leader of 0.30mm at tip to 0.57mm. In that case, aerialising the mass of leader took the tiny dry out, but then there's no line sag with a dry. The Affinity X blanks recover quickly and load smoothly, better than my name brand rods. One magical quality we found is that you can land fish quicker than many other rods – somehow, they subdue and control the fish better. The fine tip and smooth transition protects light tippets well too. Finally, put a couple of snake guides behind the tiptop to minimise line wrap and then single foot recoils. Ultralight recoil guides will enhance the action too. Sand your cork handle down to ultra slim around 23mm max at widest point to give more feel. So, overall, #2 for very light to moderate flies and down to 8X tippet and #3 for light to heavyish flies and down to 7X. Go well, Paul

Paul Gummer

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 24, 2023 08:40PM

Herb,

I have been requested to build a 10'6" 3-wt euro-nymph rod and this is the first I've seen available. How do I contact you and what is their price?

Rich

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.datapacket.com)
Date: June 25, 2023 09:31PM

Richard,
Your email is hidden.
Email me at hladen@hotmail.com for special Rb.Org pricing.
I pay shipping from NZ. You will pay FedEx fee from me to you. In order to determine FedEx fee I will need your full address - whether it's residence or business - and your tele #.
Regards,
Herb

Date: June 26, 2023 10:12PM

Thank you Paul Grummer - much appreciated and well stated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster