I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Component shipping bags
Posted by: Adam Klein (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 08, 2022 04:22PM

I'm curious as to what everyone does with all of those little zip top bags rod components come in. I have a giant bag full of little bags but for some reason don't want to throw them out.

Also, if we as rod builders and consumers started pushing for it collectively could we change the system and start to get the suppliers to use more sustainable packaging options? Myself, and I'm sure many of you would be ok with paying a few cents/dollars extra on a full rod build out to have better packaging options. Others thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Component shipping bags
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 08, 2022 04:49PM

What is the proposed solution?

Posted by: Adam Klein (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 08, 2022 04:57PM

What immediately comes to mind is small boxes (biodegradable) or all in a single bag or box with labels or tags tied on each component. Or a box with dividers, or maybe even small paper bags or envelopes. Sometimes ordering components for a full rod leads to 10-12 small plastic bags and often times with reel seats each each part of the seat will come in a bag and then all the part bags are in a larger bag.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:17PM

Most rod builders are too cheap to buy a couple tip tops for a rod project even if it means they will be able to have just the right size to fit their blank. Talk to some of the dealers about how they think rod builders would respond to paying a little bit more for more environ-friendly packaging.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:44PM

I joked with the operations manager at Mudhole when there for a NERBS event last year if I could get a credit if I brought back a bunch of the bags for them to reuse. There is a method to the madness for the bags and if you saw the operation you’d understand why they do the way they do…. Otherwise you’d likely have missing parts in your order every time…. And the cost of those bags are fractions of pennys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2022 05:46PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:57PM

I drop off all my discarded plastic at my local Publix chain grocery store for recycling. I collect it and when I go to the store I drop it off at the recycle bin. They have recycle bins for plastic, paper and foam trays.

Check with your local store if they offer recycling.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 07:44PM

I got nothin'

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 09:44PM

Adam,
Good post! Your observation certainly has merit and is honorable and commendable indeed; we all need to be more concerned with, and try to eliminate, our negative impact on this planet. As you, I cannot find myself simply throwing the little bags you referred to in the trash and also have a pretty good “stock” of them; unfortunately, my re-use capacity is less than new ones coming in.
I cannot offer a valuable solution but John’s approach of recycling is certainly not a bad place to start. Many people fail to realize the DOUBLE BENEFIT of recycling = not only is the material reused (possibly numerous times) which reduces the need for new, virgin material but it is just that much less bulk and contamination impacting our landfills. In the end, Mother Nature will win!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 10:21PM

Those little bags contain what I remove from a rod after repair and go with the rod back to its owner when complete.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 09, 2022 08:44AM

Just keep a recycling basket in your shop. When full, dump it into the nearest plastic recycler box.

In my case, I have a trash barrel that gets picked up every week and a recycling barrel that gets picked up every other week. One of the items that gets recycled is plastic bags.

Take it to the corner of my driveway every other week and the man in the recycling truck takes it all away to the recycling station for reuse.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 09, 2022 09:20AM

Adam Klein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What immediately comes to mind is small boxes
> (biodegradable) or all in a single bag or box with
> labels or tags tied on each component. Or a box
> with dividers, or maybe even small paper bags or
> envelopes. Sometimes ordering components for a
> full rod leads to 10-12 small plastic bags and
> often times with reel seats each each part of the
> seat will come in a bag and then all the part bags
> are in a larger bag.

I did a few minutes of research to try to answer my own question. The biodegradable ECO plant based bags could be a solution that would have lower effect on the warehousing methods. They make them with resealable tops as well. It would definitely add cost. I am not sure if the end result would be a bigger net positive vs. recycling what we have.

A.P.

Posted by: Adam Klein (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 10:39AM

I like the recycling idea. Unfortunately, where I live they don't have the same recycling capabilities as a lot of other areas. They only accept type 1&2 plastics and the grocery stores only accept the colored grocery type sacks. I do like the idea of putting the stripped parts from repairs in them. I've thought about using them for the random nuts and bolts laying around that don't get their own bin. I could see putting each similar type of hardware in a bag and hanging a bunch of them with binder clips on a peg board peg above my workbench. You never know with a group like this what kind of clever ideas are out there. There is likely no easy solution but it seems something worth talking about.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 04:16PM

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a collection of empty little plastic bags. lol I always order extra running guides, and even an extra tip top for a build every now and then. You never know when you'll run into a blank tip that doesn't match the published dimensions. I haven't had it happen often, but the two times that I have, and haven't had a tip top to fit, has been to say the least, frustrating. I save some of the the larger sizes to keep related parts that are in their own little plastic bags, in.

My city recycling doesn't take plastic bags. I found that out the hard way when I had a strongly worded note on my door, and a still full recycle barrel on my curb. Hadn't thought of taking them to the local grocery store. I'll have to check with them as to what type of bags they allow in their containers. As far as proposed solutions. The tagging of individual items would be ....... not good. Too much of a pain for the distributor, and too much of a pain for the consumer. Could you imagine trying to tag a single 4.5 KB guide? And then trying to find it in your box of goodies?

Biodegradable packaging would be the way to go, butt as long as you can recycle the current bags, I don't see a problem.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 11:13PM

I tie my own pompano rigs and dropper rigs when surf fishing and I put each of them in those little bags to keep the organized and separated. They work great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster