I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Guide placement and angle
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 12:25PM

I may have had a problem with too many guides on a 7" light fast tip casting rod. I like using "too many" guides. On this build I used 9 plus the tip double footed guides. The rod broke at the front of third guide from the tip while landing a smallish speckled trout. I'm not sure, but I think it broke because of the wrap coupled with the double foot stiffened the blank too much at a very sensitive portion of the blank. Maybe one less guide would have prevented it. It was a real drag because it was a donated and @#$%& item that brought $450 for a high school benefit. I did make the purchase good with an identical rod, with one less guide. So far so good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 01:49PM

Breakage was probably due to high sticking. It would have happened no matter the number of guides used or how they were positioned. In my experiences high sticking results in a break almost exactly where you described. Explain to the person what high sticking is and how to prevent it.
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 02:07PM

It seems that the number of guides one uses is very subjective, even when doing a static load test. For a 6’10” KR drop shot rod I use 9 guides total, 3 reduction guides and 6 running guides. Two more running guides then suggested by the KRGPS. To me it gives a nice progressive guide layout, a good static test, and casts well. Different stokes for different folks, and that’s fine. I also like the two line static test just because it’s easier to fine tune guides, but again that just me.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: February 08, 2022 02:30PM

When I was working on KR GPS we actually discussed the addition of the extra running guide that seems to be "missing" from the readout. It was a cost consideration to leave it out. I'm confident the prescribed number will do the job but I will now admit publically that I always add one to my results. In size 6 or below...it can't hurt!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:05PM

good stuff Jim..do i hear rod length plus three guides..lol..actually i use three more guides more often than two mainly for better hook sets and better fish control..

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:14PM

Definitely not high sticking. I witnessed the break. Could it have been the physics of the double foot not allowing the fast tip to gradually bend? Thats 3/4" of a thin tip not being allowed to bend gradually. Instead, that 3/4" was straight and stiff at a critical section of there blank.

Date: February 08, 2022 05:31PM

I think the double-foot stiff section break is unlikely. Not sure I have ever seen that. More likely a burr on the foot scored the blank in a very delicate narrow tip...or something along those lines. IMO. Or an earlier "ding" at that point.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 05:45PM

Or the blank could have been previously damaged by striking something. I don't believe the difference between a single and double foot guide can cause a failure. If it was not high sticking, then previous damage is the most likely cause.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 08, 2022 07:48PM

I wouldn’t make the claim that David’s approach is wrong. It might be better than the one I used. I saw, while trying to figure out my build, that Rainshadow’s recipe was twelve guides. The GPS system recommended a total of eight. I looked at similar G. Loomis and St. Croix factory rods that I’ve owned for years and they had eight. I saw one similar factory rod with seven. Static loading showed reasonable angles with the total of eight (four running guides), if they were placed to work with the bending characteristics of the blank. A really deep bending of the blank will change this, though. I’d probably choose his build for when a maximum sized smallmouth is diving under the boat. I hope that my build makes it easier to hookup on more of them, but I don’t know this for sure. I’m so nascent on building spinning rods that I’m paying close attention to results. If my rod breaks (highly unlikely), I can blame Jim.

Posted by: Jason Kraft (---.midco.net)
Date: February 08, 2022 11:33PM

Read everyone's replies and definitely some things I'm going to have to experiment with. I totally over looked the fact that the rod guides contribute to hook setting power. Makes a lot of sense, just not one of those things I would have thought about.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 06:48AM

I'm curious as to how long the "general rule" of the length of the rod in feet, plus one, for the number of guides needed on a rod, has been around? I know it's more than 30 years old, as I have been seeing it mentioned for at least that long. Things have changed drastically since then. At least when it comes to spinning rod guide trains.

Even before I had any idea of what static load guide placement was, I never thought my factory rods had enough guides. I would see how my factory spinning rods flexed when under pressure, and it looked like they were being over stressed between guides. When I would put my factory casting rods into a deep flex, the line would pass below the blank between guides. I now know that those blanks were definitely being over flexed between guides.

As far as the number of running guides the KR GPS suggests ...... no offense Jim, but leaving a guide (or 2) out because of cost considerations coming from a company like Fuji, is IMO, pretty weak reasoning. Even if you're talking Torzite, we're talking less than $14 for one KT 10. And if you're using Torzite, cost probably isn't part of your consideration. I don't know .... perhaps the number of guides recommended for a rod, is based strictly on casting performance?

While we're on the subject ... there is something that Kendall brought up, that I have always been curious about. And that is, how deeply do you flex the blank when setting up for static load guide placement? Personally, I flex it as if I were doing a CCS test for IP. In fact, I do IP and AA measurements for the rod before I start positioning the guides. Anyhow .... something that doesn't make sense to me, is doing static load in stages, like the static load article in the library suggests. Why wouldn't you just go to the full flex of the blank and place your guides where needed?

I could understand if we were talking about using a smaller drill bit to drill a pilot hole, before using a larger bit to finish the process. The added step of drilling a pilot hole makes it easier, and in a lot of cases, faster. I can't say the same about doing static load, in stages.

Date: February 09, 2022 09:16AM

GPS recommends a full complement of guides. A number that will support the bend of the rod and be lightweight and cast well. The "extra" guide we are discussing here is a debate that "crazies" (said with great affection) like this group enjoy talking about. And, you would be shocked how often we have to field accusations that "Fuji just wants to sell more guides" when we suggest adding another guide. It matters a lot to many builders.

The 90-degree bend is considered a top position for rod power. Positioning guides to work well in this position is logical but certainly not essential. The rod travels through every possible bend configuration in every fish-fight you ever get into. You have to pick a bend - why not make it the one that puts max pressure on the fish?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 04:38PM

Jim, I have no problem at all believing that you have to deal with accusations of Fuji just wanting to sell more guides. I see that kind of comment on other fishing related web sites I belong to, all the time. Not directed towards Fuji, but at other manufacturers. The most famous of which would be, Gary Yamamoto and the Senko.

Did you know that Yamamoto purposefully makes Senko's less durable, just so they can sell more of their high priced baits? It has nothing to do with the make up of the bait, and what that make up results in. It's just about the money they can get from us stupid fisherman that think we have to be using them, or we won't catch any fish. lol BTW, there are other ways of getting a Senko in the generic sense, to weigh the same as the original, and be more durable. But it's way more costly than salt.

Anyhow .... I absolutely love the KR GPS. It does an awesome job of getting the line from the reel, to the choke guide. After that, count me as one of the crazies that like to talk about the need for that extra guide or two. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2022 04:40PM by David Baylor.

Date: February 09, 2022 07:45PM

yeah...me too.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---)
Date: February 09, 2022 08:30PM

Fortunately I worked long distance with Jim when the GPS system was introduced gathering reel information from different manufacturers to be loaded into the GPS system. That being said a few factors I consider when building a 7ft medium lite spinning rod is the reel that will be used and the length of the handle from the back of the reel seat. Going from a 8.5 inch to an 11inch grip will reduce the number of guides I use by 1. Then with the known reel and GPS inputs usually puts the stripper from 17 to 20 inches from the front of the seat. That difference will again reduce the number of guides by 1. So if I was originally going to use 12 guides plus the tip, that reduction in guides puts me at 10 guides plus the tip. I am using the number of guides as an example. As lite as our guides have become now days I have no trouble using more guides. When the rod is loaded fighting a fish I personally like the weight distribution of the extra guides. For example, on a 7ft 10in XXHM rod for large swim baits I will use 14 guides plus the tip, and customers have had no problems.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 09, 2022 09:30PM

Yeah, me three! O-rings are great for holding the guides on the blank while the two line stress test is done. Guides can be repositioned with absolute ease. I have not "taped a guide on" for a very long time, and never will again. Wacky o-rings will work for larger dia. blank areas.

Date: February 10, 2022 09:21AM

When we first published GPS (NGC) I intended to build a much larger library of reels with the help of the rod building community. Because everyone was a little skeptical to begin with, I got very few reel measurements from the field. If you have measured a reel, layed it out according to results and it performed as well as expected, I would love to have the A, B, C measurements so I could add the reel to the library. Be sure to include model number etc on the reel. Mail to info@anglersresource.net

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 11, 2022 09:28AM

Herb:

Thanks for the O-ring tip. It will save me time and trouble. I worry about guide numbers as well as guide placement - looking for the minimum number of guides without degrading casting performance. The O rings will simplify and speed my efforts.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 11, 2022 10:55PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The 90-degree bend is considered a top position
> for rod power. Positioning guides to work well in
> this position is logical but certainly not
> essential. The rod travels through every possible
> bend configuration in every fish-fight you ever
> get into. You have to pick a bend - why not make
> it the one that puts max pressure on the fish?

That is a good question. When I am using a spinning rod, I am seldom in the “maximum pressure” scenario. I usually choosing to hold anything else when ultimate power is the objective. Even with your wonderful Torzite guides, I got my best balance and grip length combination by going with rod length plus one. I build rods for myself that I probably wouldn’t build for customer sales as I have caught a wide variety of saltwater and anadromous fish in current, under boat, just above waterfall, and mangrove type of situations. There are many fishing skill areas where I need to make big improvements, but I am pretty experienced at pressuring and controlling fish runs while protecting rods and leaders. Western bass waters allow for a more conservative take, as well. We just don’t drop shot near thick vegetation very much.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2022 11:07AM

I've not found any O rings that will hold micro guides in place with a single line method of stress testing a blank. The only solution I've found for easily stress testing a blank with micros is the two line method in which the guides do not load the blank. In that method O rings work as does tape. Each has advantages and disadvantages, and I often find myself using both. Tape for the bigger guides, O rings for the smaller ones. With an extra O ring or two in case I want to add guides during the process.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster