I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC soft touch grip foam showing fix
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: February 05, 2022 02:25PM

I am building an Iconoglass 8' 5# with a soft touch full wells and the American Tackle Infinity seat. Using this combination the trim piece that comes with the grip does not fit with the seat. So I hand fit the grip to the seat and this was the result.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

With the foam showing I had to problem solve. I figured the solution was worth a share.

First I took my Testors black pigment and coated the foam lightly. Just enough to color it. I let that dry.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Then test fit.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

It looked pretty good but I could see the texture up close. So I decided to mix my gel epoxy and add a touch of the pigment.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

It came out perfect. I always leave my epoxy left overs in the foil tray to cure and test my mix and it tested great. The epoxy ramped nicely and looks as if there is a trim piece there. With the foam painted it made the epoxy keep it's color. I feel if it were left natural the trim would look gray.

This is the build resulting from my previous post looking for recommendations. Using REC titanium guides.

Hope this can help cure some frustrations.

A.P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC soft touch grip foam showing fix
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 05, 2022 02:49PM

Aaron,
Very cleanly done and looks great.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: February 05, 2022 11:33PM

Mark,
Thank you. I am really enjoying working with something different. I will make a post to show the build when done as a thank you to the group here for all the tutelage. Everyone of the fly guys old posts have helped me a lot in deciding what to do with this build.

A.P.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 06, 2022 09:14AM

Aaron, that looks great. Nice clean lines. It looks like a manufactured piece.

Very nice, and definitely something I will store in the memory banks. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2022 04:36PM

Very nice job.

Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-255-5.myvzw.com)
Date: February 13, 2022 04:36PM

I can't believe how clean you got the epoxy in there! How did you apply it?

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 14, 2022 08:48AM

Scott Olson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe how clean you got the epoxy in
> there! How did you apply it?

I applied the epoxy the same way I would to mate the grip to the seat normally. I put a coat inside the grip and a coat on the outside of the seat. With the epoxy being colored all I had to do was clean the excess. To do that I used a paper towels with denatured alcohol. I rotated the handle while holding the same angle on my paper towel. I constantly moved the paper towel (think slowly sliding the bow of a violin) to clean sections of the paper towel and as you rotate it ramps evenly around the grip.

A.P.

Posted by: Al purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2023 10:16PM

Aaron,

Was any sanding needed to widen that recess in the grip to fit the hood of your seat? I’m ordering one of these grips and was curious how you opened the recess to fit your seat if it was needed.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 05, 2023 03:19PM

@Al

I did not have to sand anything to fit. Perfect fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster