I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC blank crooked
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.15-151.wind.it)
Date: February 03, 2022 06:20AM

Hello,
I bought a NFC blank (SWB807IM) and checking it for the spine, I noticed that it is not perfectly straight.
For about 1 feet, from the TIP, it bends to the left with respect to its spine (I don't know how much, compared to the tip line maybe 1/2 inch).
What can I do? Is it possible to straighten it? I've read that some builders straighten crooked blanks using heat.
What could be the consequences of fishing, if I would use it that way (crooked)?

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC blank crooked
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2022 08:19AM

The spine is almost never on the straightest axis, nor opposite it either. It will usually be off to one side by anywhere from about 90 to 170 degrees.

And few rod blanks are perfectly straight.

So how bad is the off-set or crook? Is it a gentle bend or flex along the entire length, or a sudden crook from straight out close to the tip? If the former, that's normal. If the latter, you might want to call NFC and ask.

Don't try to straight the blank with heat. Carbon blanks won't react kindly to that. You can build on the straightest axis and ignore the spine (spine doesn't matter) or build on the spine and use it that way.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 10:38AM

You could check the spine on each 1/3 of the rod and see if any of those positions just happens to fall on the straight axis.

What could be the consequences of fishing, if I would use it that way (crooked)?
None...there is no consequences for fishing.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2022 02:39PM

Assuming you are building a casting rod, put the guides on the high side (above the curve) so that they tend to make the curve less. If you keep the curve facing straight up it is much less noticeable. No, it won't affect your fishing. A half inch off in one foot is a pretty large amount and I might think of sending that one back. Once you know the curve is there you make keep looking for it and that may make you dislike the rod, even if it works just fine.

Posted by: Jeff Kruger (---.sttlwax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 03, 2022 03:53PM

I would be curious what NFC would consider an acceptable deviation. If it's 1/2" in a 1' section, thats about a 2.4 degree angle.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 07:24PM

Marco.

1. I never check, nor worry about the spine.

2. Contrary to what other folks might do, if there is a bend in the rod, I build the rod so that the tip is essentially drooping down. Perhaps, one loses a touch of power from the rod by building it this way, but I a user sights along the top of the rod - and many folks do, the bend is essentially invisible to the person who is sighting down the rod.

3. The rod will cast just fine with a bit of bend in the blank and the rod will catch fish just fine with a bit of bend in the blank.

4. If you want to build on the blank with the bend pointing up, then by all means go for it. Your choice. As Mr. Kirkman stated - a significant % or rod blanks delivered will have some deviation from being perfectly straight.

Do what works best for you and the final user of the rod - whomever that might be.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2022 07:57PM

Aligning the blank so any curve is "tip up" also results in a rod that appears straight when sighting down it. It also puts you on the stiffest axis which can better carry the weight of the guides, wraps and finish. This will be the crispest and most responsive position for the rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 03, 2022 08:57PM

Jeff, I would contact NFC. Marco, as far as blanks are concerned I get them with more than one bend at times, I have no NFC experience.

Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2022 09:08PM

Ditto on forgetting about the spine. I chuck it up in the lathe, with the upper rollers free, and rotate it looking for tip high. This locates top for me . This is for a casting rod
I’ve gotten some bananas from NFC, at least it looks straight when you sight down the rod.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2022 02:30PM

I used to employ the spine method until I got my first crooked blank.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.25-151.wind.it)
Date: February 08, 2022 06:02AM

Thanks to all for your support, I'll try yours suggestments.

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster