I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC Reduction Guide Question
Posted by: Glenn Knepprath (---)
Date: February 02, 2022 02:23PM

I am building a 7' Walleye rod ML/P Fast action blank & using the NGC suggested reduction guide set up is 16H 8H 5.5H because I have trouble with swivels ect passing threw the small #4 runners I would like to go with the #6KT runners what would I use in place of the KL5.5H reduction guide like a 6L? what are the disadvantages of going larger on the runners than suggested? or would going to the KT5.5 runners help me out with this problem and using the 5.5H reduction guide? am I the only guy out there with this kind of problem? LOL... any suggestions would be highly appreciated....Thank You!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC Reduction Guide Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2022 02:33PM

You can only go as small as you can go. The correct guide sizes will be the smallest guides that will pass your required connections and hold up to the expected task. So if you can't get your swivels through a #4, then #4 is not the correct size for your project. If you need a #6 ring, use it. The only downside is a tad bit more weight and it would be minimal. Regardless, if #4's won't work well, don't sweat not using them. They're not going to do what you need to do.

Date: February 02, 2022 02:48PM

Ok Tom....can I still use the 5.5 reduction guide using the "6 runners?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2022 03:06PM

Just use one of the #6's as the choke guide. The choke guide and first running guide are the same thing. So go from the 8 to the 6.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 03:27PM

You are not doing a NGC setup, but rather a KR concept setup. Try using a KL6L as your third reduction guide then to size 6 KT runners, or use the KL5.5M with KT/KB 5.5 runners.
Norm

Date: February 02, 2022 03:30PM

sorry... the last of my reduction guides is a 5.5H can I use that with #6 runners? should the last of your reduction guides be the same as the runners? Thank you

Date: February 02, 2022 03:35PM

Thank you Norm! you answered my question I was always told the last of the reduction guides ring should be the size of the runners or close to it in size correct?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 02, 2022 05:36PM

Runners are usually smaller or at the most the same size as the last reduction guide. I just don’t like using running guides that are larger than the last reduction guide. That doesn’t mean you can’t do it, I just don’t like it. Looks funky.
There are actually more KR options available to you. [anglersresource.net] In addition, there is the option of doing a NGC setup, which traditionally uses larger size runners. There is also the option of dropping the swivel if you don’t need it. I rarely if ever use a a swivel, but many people do.
Norm

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 06:14PM

Glenn- the NGC does not specify particular guide sizes. You just plot the line path and use the reduction guide sizes that give you that straight line path. The running guides are also not specified under the NGC. I have used #4 choke and runners when I could get by with it, like a guy using braid on a popping rod, and up to #10's for the choke and runners when I needed those to pass larger line or shock leader knots on plugging rods. Try not to get locked into using certain stated guide sizes. Use what you need to use to do what you need the rod to do. When in doubt go out and cast the rod a bit with different sized guides and see what works best for you.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 09:08PM

Do these swivels have to pass thru the guides on a cast? Or is this more of a line storage issue?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 11:00AM

Could you use smaller swivels? Still, any time you have to pass swivels or split rings or split shot through a guide train you are bound to have problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2022 11:13AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 05:58PM

I was wondering too as to why you want to run swivels through your guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 07:38PM

Glen,
A very simple solution:

If you use swivels in your line, insert them as close to the terminal tackle as the rod is long. That way, you can reel up to the swivel, but no further. If you never put a swivel through the tip top or any guide you never have an issue with a swivel going through the guide.

For example, in my use of rods when I am walleye fishing, I tie the line directly to the jig, if I am using a lead head jig. If I am using a lindy rig, I use leaders no longer than 4 feet. If I am bobber fishing, I put the bobber stop where ever it is needed and no issue with the bobber stop going through the guides.

Note:
If I am going to be using a potentially larger obstruction on a line - I build a rod for this application with tip top and runners no smaller than #6. When I use a #14 swivel, it will nicely pass through #6 hardware.

If I build with a 4.5 or smaller tip top and running guides, I make a point to never have a bobber stop or a swivel in line with the line. If I am using a crank bait, I only use a swivel as terminal tackle and snap the crankbait directly to the swivel. No issue since the swivel never goes into or past the tip top of the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster