I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hello from new member
Posted by: Jeff Kruger (---.sttlwax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 10:51AM

Hello everyone. New member here that has been enjoying reading a lot of threads on this site. I've been fly fishing for a little over 50 years, but am completely new to rod building. I just ordered some tools and supplies from Mudhole, and have a blank coming from Proof Fly Fishing.

My day job is a real estate developer/builder, and I'm a serious firearms enthusiast, and have a type 7 manufacturers FFL and SOT. I have a pretty well equipped machine and wood shop, and figure I will be able to use some of those tools when it comes to rod building. I have a fiber laser engraver that I'm anxious to use for some custom engraving on reel seats, rod tubes and caps, etc.

I look forward to learning a lot from experienced members here, and am sure I will have a lot of questions. I will use the search function first though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hello from new member
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2022 11:16AM

Hello Jeff.

Welcome and enjoy.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joel Wick (181.214.61.---)
Date: February 02, 2022 11:46PM

Welcome Jeff!

It sounds like you may have some tools, skills, and knowledge that rodbuilders will find interesting and useful.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 01:13AM

Jeff,
Welcome!!! You may be overqualified for the position of rod builder lol. As with any new endeavor, there will be a learning curve to realize, acept, apply and achieve your goals. Nonetheless, I am anxious to learn from your portfolio; bring it on!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: February 03, 2022 10:56AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. i have already learned a lot from reading a large number of posts on this site. I hope one day I can contribute something worthwhile. I build a few custom knives, and have a large belt grinder, heat treating oven, etc. I have some experience using epoxy, fitting things, etc., but wrapping guides and such will be an entirely new thing for me. I tie flies, so I'm a bit accustomed to thread, but nothing as critical as a guide wrap for sure. I was looking at one of our Thomas and Thomas rods and admiring how nicely done the wraps are done. Some of the pictures I've seen of guide wraps by truly skilled craftsmen are amazing. If I've learned anything over the years, it's to force myself to slow down and do as good of a job as I can, or risk being miffed at myself for rushing and suffering with the results. I'm guessing I may spend more time getting my first guide wrapped than many of you do on a complete build. I'm really looking forward to it though.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 04:37PM

Jeff,
With your comment “If I've learned anything over the years, it's to force myself to slow down and do as good of a job as I can, or risk being miffed at myself for rushing and suffering with the results” you obviously and already have the correct mindset = you will become a fine rod builder and maybe even quicker than others. While rod building is certainly not rocket science, practice, experimentation, learning the tricks-of-the-trade and keeping an open mind will serve you well. The only dumb question is the one not asked; ask and apply.
Thread wrapping is obviously a big part of rod building and the first thing many people look at on a custom rod. It is my favorite aspect of rod building although I personally do not care for fancy cross wraps and concentrate my “thread art” (some might say the word “art” should be preceded with the letter “f” in my case lol) to wrapping the guides where thread is actually required. May I suggest that you first concentrate on learning the basics of and perfecting your guide wraps. Purchase a few spools of thread and a set of guides that suit your style of fishing and then wrap on a rod you already have for practice, just don’t coat them with finish. In addition to learning how to start and stop the wrap and pack the threads to avoid gaps, you will discover what a PITA tiny guides on the tip section of the blank can be!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 07:24PM

Welcome Jeff ! Assuming you will be building primarily multi-section fly rods, which are easier to deal with wrapping than the other types due to their length.

I build only fly rods and have for many years, so if have something you would like to discuss, my email is available by clicking on my name.

Date: February 04, 2022 10:01AM

Thank you Mark and Phil! I genuinely appreciate all advice, and I have no doubt I will take you up on your generous offer Phil.

In my mind, the one thing I can see struggling with a bit is not being able to actually cast some of the blanks that seem popular. With something like a Sage, or T&T, the blanks are available, and I have a chance to cast a finished rod to gain a sense of how it performs in my hands. With blanks from companies like CTS and MHX, as examples, I will have to go by the manufacturers description and what others that have built on them have said. I am anxious to quantify for myself, the differences between something like a rod built on a CTS Affinity X blank, and a Sage X of the same configuration. I feel like as a manufacturer Sage has to be careful to not price their blanks too inexpensively compared to the rod, or they will lose too many sales to custom builders. Companies like CTS don't have that same concern, and I wonder if there is a similar level of performance available for a lower entry price? I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on that.

I have a Proof blank and components coming. I have read good things about their blanks, though for the price I'm assuming it won't approach something like a blank from CTS or even MHX. My tendency, if I'm spending time to make something, I try to assume it will come out at least okay, and I would rather have time invested in better components for a nicer finished product. I struggle with that a bit. How tough is it, realistically, if I am not happy with the wrap job on a guide, to remove the epoxy and wraps and start again? I'm confident in my ability to get the reel seat and cork on well. My plan is to start with one section at a time, probably the lower/larger sections, first, and not move on until I'm happy with that section, assuming it's not too difficult to remove the epoxy and wraps?

Would experienced folks recommend that I stick with inexpensive blanks for a few builds before moving on to mid priced or higher priced blanks? I would have no problem donating the early rods to Healing Waters or a similar worthwhile cause, if they were decent enough.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 04, 2022 10:24AM

With wraps, I see it like this. You know quality when you see it and perform it. You won't even put finish on a bad wrap you aren't happy with. Say something goes wrong with the finish when applying that you don't catch until it is dry. It is easy to remove a finished wrap. It is also a skill that will benefit you for when you repair rods.

The hardest part to your first wraps will be cleanly starting and closing your wraps. It is always suggested to do some practice wraps prior to wrapping guides to get the general feel for it. If you have an old broken rod section or even a dowel lying around, you could use those to just do a few wraps on.

What budget of blank you start with is all preference.

Date: February 04, 2022 11:05AM

Thanks Aaron. That makes complete sense. I have plenty of various magnification available, I will make sure I am happy with a wrap prior to coating it.

There is something I am curious about. I have watched a lot of various video's of folks wrapping guides. When it comes to starting their wraps, and choosing where to end them by pulling the thread back under the five or so wraps, they seem to do it all over the place. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but wouldn't it be better to do that in a consistent place, like on the side opposite the guides? If there is evidence of anything under the wraps, wouldn't it be better to have them symmetrical, and in the same place on all of the guides? Of course I just looked at one of our T&T rods and there is no evidence of where the thread started or stopped, so I guess that is the ultimate goal, and where you do it shouldn't matter?

Date: February 04, 2022 12:47PM

I always start and end mine opposite the anglers eye on the bottom of the rod. Once you get better it won't matter as much because it will be harder to detect where they start and end. You will start and finish much cleaner once you figure out the best way for you to do it.

One place it does matter a lot to me is when you drop or add thread for decorative rings. It is a personal pet peeve of mine to not have those line up.

Date: February 04, 2022 12:54PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always start and end mine opposite the anglers
> eye on the bottom of the rod. Once you get better
> it won't matter as much because it will be harder
> to detect where they start and end. You will start
> and finish much cleaner once you figure out the
> best way for you to do it.
>
> One place it does matter a lot to me is when you
> drop or add thread for decorative rings. It is a
> personal pet peeve of mine to not have those line
> up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that pays attention to such things Aaron. I've noticed on some rods that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the transition from something like a metalic thread trim to the regular thread not have a spot where there is obviously a transition. Not having those all on the opposite side of the guides would probably drive me nuts. My eyes seem to pick up things fairly quickly. I can walk into a home and notice right away if the tile layout wasn't done properly. Drives my wife crazy some times.

Date: February 04, 2022 01:09PM

I was an industrial electrician and now engineer. I have picked up some tendencies. My wall plates for receptacles and switches all have the flathead screws facing the same way. Attention to detail is a blessing and a curse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2022 01:10PM by Aaron Petersen.

Date: February 04, 2022 01:27PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
> I was an industrial electrician and now engineer.
> I have picked up some tendencies. My wall plates
> for receptacles and switches all have the flathead
> screws facing the same way. Attention to detail is
> a blessing and a curse.

I'm a developer and builder. Our electricians all know that I want all of the plate screws facing up/down. I'm a big believer that a lot of folks can come away feeling a home seems disjointed, or not quite right. They may not be able to put their finger on what aspects make them feel that way, but I believe it's a culmination of a lot of small things. My wife is my business partner. She will walk into a home and notice right away if something like a master bath door used oil rubbed bronze hardware while the plumbing fixtures are brushed nickel or something. She gives me grief about some of my picky tendencies, but she has her own.

We built the first net zero winery in WA, along with an estate home next to it. I drove the solar installers a bit crazy because I wanted the installation to be symmetrical, as long as there was no cost to performance. Some times a little more time laying something out, or paying attention to small details, makes such a difference in the finished product. I suspect getting thread wrapping down may take me a little while. Thankfully, I'm at a point where if I take hours to do what someone more experienced and skilled could do in a fraction of the time, I'm okay with it, as long as the results are good. I know a fly rod is somewhat of a tool, but aesthetics do matter to some of us. I'm not into a lot of bling, just nice, understated high quality. I really like how T&T finishes most of their rods. Probably not everyone's style, but I like the subtle look of work that was well done.

Date: February 04, 2022 01:46PM

Funny. We both fancy our screws up/down.

Jeff Kruger Wrote:

> We built the first net zero winery in WA, along
> with an estate home next to it. I drove the solar
> installers a bit crazy because I wanted the
> installation to be symmetrical, as long as there
> was no cost to performance. Some times a little
> more time laying something out, or paying
> attention to small details, makes such a
> difference in the finished product. I suspect
> getting thread wrapping down may take me a little
> while. Thankfully, I'm at a point where if I take
> hours to do what someone more experienced and
> skilled could do in a fraction of the time, I'm
> okay with it, as long as the results are good. I
> know a fly rod is somewhat of a tool, but
> aesthetics do matter to some of us. I'm not into
> a lot of bling, just nice, understated high
> quality. I really like how T&T finishes most of
> their rods. Probably not everyone's style, but I
> like the subtle look of work that was well done.

That sounds like an awesome project. I miss working with solar. I never had a chance to do anything architecturally satisfying with a solar farm. Mostly standard arrays and car park covers.

I can't wait to see some of the fruits of your rod building endeavors. No doubt you will find it satisfying.

A.P.

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2022 07:12PM

Jeff Kruger Wrote:
> Hello everyone. New member here that has been
> enjoying reading a lot of threads on this site.
> I've been fly fishing for a little over 50 years,
> but am completely new to rod building. I just
> ordered some tools and supplies from Mudhole, and
> have a blank coming from Proof Fly Fishing.
>
> My day job is a real estate developer/builder, and
> I'm a serious firearms enthusiast, and have a type
> 7 manufacturers FFL and SOT. I have a pretty well
> equipped machine and wood shop, and figure I will
> be able to use some of those tools when it comes
> to rod building. I have a fiber laser engraver
> that I'm anxious to use for some custom engraving
> on reel seats, rod tubes and caps, etc.
>
> I look forward to learning a lot from experienced
> members here, and am sure I will have a lot of
> questions. I will use the search function first
> though.

Ha! Brand new member here, too... could have written the almost exact same thing, though only 42 years fly fishing (and tying), same with Mudhole equipment, full shop, right down to the FFL, though mine is only an 03.

I don't have a laser engraver, though. :)

Mike B

Date: February 05, 2022 11:13AM

That's wild Mike B. We are in eastern WA. Where are you located?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster