I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread wraps problem
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.15-151.wind.it)
Date: February 02, 2022 06:47AM

Hello,
I'm writing you to have support support for a problem related to stained wraps, using a clear nylon thread of size A (Power Wrap, Neon Pink color #361,CP).
I made the wraps on the various guides, taking care to tighten them very well, and then proceeded with 3 coats of CP (Chromaseal).
After having given the first coat of epoxy (TM LIGHT), I have verified the work and it is very bad.
Each wrap/binding has spots/streaks, an unpresentable job!
Maybe I have used a too thin CP coat (I used a mixture of CP and water for 40%)?

Is there anyone who can help me understand where I went wrong and suggest me how to proceed to get an excellent result?

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread wraps problem
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 07:12AM

I suggest you try another wrap and don't thin the CP, make sure it dries thoroughly between coats. Should not require 3 coats, but that 3rd coat shouldn't cause a problem.

It amazes me that companies expertly develop products to do a specific thing well, then users alter them thinking they can improve on them.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.15-151.wind.it)
Date: February 02, 2022 07:35AM

Thanks Michael,
if I understand correctly two coats of undiluted CP should solve the problem, OK!
I also take this opportunity to ask you if too high a thread tension, could have contributed to the problem exposed.

Marco Cellini

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2022 07:50AM

Don't thin the CP - when you do, you're putting mostly water on the wraps, not the solids in the CP that do the work.

Good thread packing will also tend to prevent what appear to be streaks.

Date: February 02, 2022 08:04AM

I don't think too high thread tension will cause it, especially if you carefully pack. If you can move the guides a little with a firm push then I would expect the tension about right.

Many say that one coat of CP is sufficient, but I always use two to be sure. Making sure that I keep applying it to the tunnel opening until the capillary action that draws it into the tunnel ceases. Then after a minute or so I blot off any excess with a paper towel. Same for second coat.

Light threads on dark blanks are tough! Some builders will paint the area under the wrap with a matching or close color.

Posted by: roger gleason (192.84.52.---)
Date: February 03, 2022 10:43AM

This can happen if the thread is burnished too hard

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: February 07, 2022 09:01AM

Michael is spot on about making sure you fill the tunnels with CO. Very likely your finish is coming through the tunnel backside and turning the thread transparent from underneath as the CP perhaps did not fully soak through the thread

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.25-151.wind.it)
Date: February 08, 2022 06:02AM

Thanks to all for your support, I'll try yours suggestments.

Marco Cellini

Date: February 09, 2022 07:19AM

One thing I forgot to mention is that this type of CP has solids in suspension and it has to be mixed before using to get them back into suspension after settling. If you have not been mixing it then that might contribute to the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster