I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Balance Q
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 11:03AM

If you cast holding the rod with both hands the tip-heavy feeling will go away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 03, 2022 04:56PM

A tip light rod isn't just about avoiding or reducing fatigue.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 07:43PM

In particular, when jig fishing for very very very light biting walleye, I will often use a 1/16th oz jig, or possibly a 1/8th oz jig. IN this event - I want to essentially lay the rod on my open hand in the location where I normally hold the rod. Then, after the cast has been made and the jig has sunk to the bottom, I want the rod to remain perfectly level - no tip down, and no tip up - while waiting for that very light tap from a neutral or negative biting fish. Thus, with no clenching of the rod in my hand, I can easily feel the faint tap on the line some 80 feet away from where I sit in the boat. That faint tap signals the only bite information that I am going to receive from the wily walleye. I then set the hook, or the fish is gone.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 03, 2022 11:58PM

I lived in Minnesota for ten years and even worked as a fisheries biologist in the BWCAW for part of that time. I found that becoming adept at jigging for walleyes was even more challenging than learning how to fly fish for steelhead. I agree that neutral balance is a real benefit in that pursuit. The great walleye fisherman can interpret every subtle tap accurately into exactly what the fish will be when landed. They far exceeded my presumptions about angling skill relative to other types of fishing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 04, 2022 04:12PM

The above is exactly what I am talking about when I say that a neutrally balanced, or for me, a tip light light rod aids in bite detection. It isn't always about the vibrations transmitted by the rod. With some techniques you'll often just sense a difference in the weight of the tip. If you're waiting to feel the tap, you'll miss the fish.

A drop shot is a prime example

Date: February 04, 2022 05:10PM

If you fish with bait and use circle hooks you can greatly reduce the necessity to feel the teeniest bite - just keep a tight line. Nothing to it!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2022 09:23PM

How could I have been so blind??? All this time spent pondering and discussing rod balance over and over, when I could have just been using circle hooks and bait! Lol

Date: February 06, 2022 10:56AM

I have never held or even heard of a balanced fly rod, and fly rods have to be moved many times more and much farther than a spin or bait-casting rod during a cast. A circle hook is not suitable for tying a fly. Anglers who fish with spinning or bait-casting rods are fortunate to have either "J" hooks or circle hooks to cast.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 07, 2022 11:06AM

I find myself struggling not to feed this.

Date: February 07, 2022 04:26PM

After reading several articles about the necessity of a balanced rod&reel combination for optimum casting I tried to balance my 9 wt. fly rod and Billy Pate Bonefish reel so the casting fulcrum was located on the rod grip - for optimum distance and accuracy. Not only did this fail to improve my casting - it prevented casting. So I unwrapped the lead foil I had wrapped around the tip-top to balance the rod and returned to a seriously unbalanced fly rod/reel outfit. I probably I shouldn't have assumed everyone casts the same way as I do.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2022 05:10PM

Aaron ..... I started looking at it like this ....... you're fishing for bass around spawning bluegill. You can see bass cruising, but there are carp cruising around as well. You want to pitch your bait on one of the carp to spook it out of there, but if you do, you'll spook the bass too.

The bass probably won't come back, but you know that dang carp will LOL

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: February 07, 2022 07:46PM

I like to play devils advocate and debate (responsibly) to be a catalyst to ernest discussion. You can find it a great exercise in critical thinking. Sometimes the only thing you exercise is futility. But you have to try. Right?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster