I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish coat
Posted by: Ray Castano (---)
Date: January 30, 2022 07:30PM

Hi
I’ve got a couple FG spinning rods I built 6-7 yrs ago,,, they have spent 250 +- hrs a year out fishin salt water ….
I’m planning on rewrappin some of the guides and would like to give the whole rods a new finish,,, nothing on them now..

Looking for product recommendations for this ,,,
Hope to start this right after I move the 2’ of snow from my driveway…. ;-)

Thanks,,, great site here

Guppy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish coat
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 08:06PM

I recently did this to a set of 50 lb class boat rods that had a lot of hours on them. I first used a damp rag and cleaned the rod. I then scuffed them with a red Brillo pad before I coated the rods. they almost looked new.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 31, 2022 01:44AM

Ray, U40 PermaGloss is, arguably, the industry standard rod/ / blank finish; even if there are others which may work as well. PG requires no mixing, is fairly durable, is fairly easy to apply, cures quite quickly, and is relatively inexpensive. BUT, it is rather “HOT”, most noticeably when applied over SOME existing finishes = test, test, test!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 31, 2022 06:52AM

Thanks Mark

Guppy

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 01, 2022 08:44AM

A rod will be lighter, faster, and just as durable if you don't "paint" the blank with more epoxy [it's already epoxy] and simply epoxy the windings around the guide feet.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 01, 2022 04:01PM

Phil,
Precisely how much does a coat of PG weigh on, say, a 7ft blank?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2022 05:17PM

I coat my entire blanks on my Offshore rods so the blank is protected. The extra weight on them doesn't matter to me and I actually prefer the slower action.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2022 05:20PM

Action won't change by adding a top coat of anything. The blank will still flex along the same pattern as it did before. You may slow the rod speed but that's about it in terms of changes to the blanks characteristics.

PG is a great product if you do want to topcoat a rod blank. It's hard as nails, won't yellow and remains flexible.

Date: February 01, 2022 07:01PM

I actually had a bottle of u-40 ,,, who knew.. :-)
I tried it on one section between eyes,,, looks great …
Added wt is insignificant, these are boat rod work horses,
Scraped and chipped around the eyes and topped off with high build..

They’re gonna look sweet… :-)

Thanks, done, Gup

Guppy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster