I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A great tool - revisited
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 10:52AM

So - Been looking forward to trying the Kutzall Rasps that I posted a couple of weeks ago.
Short review - sending them back. Stanley Sureform have them beat for rounding cork grips.
You guys with conventional lathes with rests and gouges - some of us don't and need a reliable tool to round the grip.
Herb
CTS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A great tool - revisited
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 12:27PM

Herb? Do you not use a tool rest or some sort?

I've been collecting the things I think I need for making cork grips, and from what I'm seeing, a tool rest is going to be pretty important. Just curious ...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2022 12:48PM

A tool rest is very helpful for making the grip concentric. But you don't use the Surform against a tool rest. It's just for cutting the grip down quickly, not necessarily to concentric.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: January 29, 2022 01:00PM

How would a wood lathe (midi?) do for this work?

By the time you buy a wrapper and all the accessories it seems you could find a used (or budget) lather much cheaper.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 03:15PM

I've been using the Flexcoat cork lathe powered by a 3/8", 2500 RPM drill very succesfully for many years.
I dont use, or need, a tool rest.
If I used gouges I would have to use a tool rest.
I just use the Surform to round the grip. Just hold it lightly against the grip until all high spots are gone. You can feel when that is. No more "Tick-Tick-Tick".
Then 60 grit - 120 grit - 220 grit and finish with 320 grit.
Herb
CTS

Date: January 29, 2022 05:17PM

I'll be using my power wrapper as a lathe. I can make a more than adequate tool rest for it. What I have been wrestling with, is whether or not I should invest in a tail stock. As for right now, I am leaning towards being able do without. Much like the one foam core carbon sleeve grip I built, I'm just wanting to build a cork grip or two, just for the sake of doing it. And I love the possibilities it presents. I've got what I think are some ideas for some sweet looking grips. I just need to execute them.

I know I am running into things I didn't expect to run into to the degree that I am. Which is why I've bought a small drill press, and will be making a cork ring boring jig like that featured in an issue of Rod Maker Magazine. I saw a short Youtube video of Tom using it, and it sure looks like it will remedy the unexpected things I've run into.

I want to take the opportunity to send a shout out to a board sponsor, Custom Fly Grips L.L.C. I purchased a few items from them. The items were just as I had hoped they would be, and shipping was extremely fast. I will be ordering more from them within the next day or two.

And Herb, I will be ordering some low grade cork rings to practice on. I will definitely give your method a try.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 29, 2022 10:49PM

I use a Midi wood lathe for all my grip constructions, be it cork, wood or composite

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 30, 2022 09:16AM

David,
Over and over and over again - when using a drill or similar device for grip shaping etc. I wanted a tail stock badly, nearly every time that I did work on the "lathe"

Finally, I received a Midi Lathe with a tail stock, multiple chucks, multiple tai stock accessories and I could not be happier.

A tail stock lets one use the full capability of a lathe and it can be used for so many more tasks that are simply impossible to do with out the tail stock

-------------------
One very main job that I use the tail stock for, is to do perfect concentric drilling into the end of a round object. It may be a cork, or foam grip. It may be a piece of aluminum or brass to create the perfect object for a tool or accessory.

This sort of work is literally impossible to do without the use of a tail stock and the presence of various chucks and work stabilizers.

Does one need a lathe and a tail stock - No, maybe possibly not. However, by having a lathe, tail stock and lathe bed extension - so many jobs are now childs play that were either impossible or very very difficult to do properly and quickly without these tools.

-----------------

Also, for myself, I don't ever use my power wrapper for lathe type work. I have never used the power wrapper for lathe type activity with the standard - low speed motor drive that I use for power wrapping.

However, I do have a reused cordless drill motor with its attached chuck that I can use for touch up work on a grip or similar activities on the power wrapper, when working with full length completed rods.

For example:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This drill motor was a $2 surplus 24v dc cordless drill motor complete with 2-speed gear box and a keyless chuck.

My power wrapper control box contains a 10 amp 24 volt DC power supply that powers this cordless drill motor very well with precise pedal control.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

After many years of use, for various small jobs the motor went up in smoke one day.

So, I disassembled the motor mount and pitched the drill motor. Then, about a year later, I had another need for a similar motor and found a new 24 volt cordless drill lying around which was no longer being used because of bad batteries. I removed the drill motor, gears and chuck from its plastic case and pitched the case. I retrieved the former motor mount from the previous heavy duty motor - and it turned out that the new motor slipped into the former motors mount with no modification. So, I have the use of a heavy duty motor again for cleanup work on the grip of a full sized rod using the bed and rod supports of the power wrapper.

------------------------------------
Could you do more and better work with a tail stock for your lathe? Absolutely.

Best wishes

Date: January 30, 2022 09:20AM

p.s.
Penn State industries have nice merchandise and supply quality products in the form of lathes and lathe accessories:

For example:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 11:55AM

Roger, I appreciate the response. As far as to get a tail stock or not. I know a tail stock would be the way to go. And I may just end up getting one. But for now I'm going to see if one of the rod stands on my wrapper will work. I just don't plan on building more than 3 or maybe 4 grips. I'm picky about the work I do, so if after practicing turning a lesser quality grip or two, I find that I really need a tail stock to get the results I'm after, I'll get one. It's going to be one of those try it and see kind of things.

I also thought about buying a small lathe. But because I would have no other use for a lathe other than turning a grip or two, I just can't see going in that direction. I'm not saying my power wrapper would be as good as a lathe, but it will definitely do what I need it to do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 31, 2022 10:29AM

I have used sandpaper on a block against cork rings on a 5/16 inch mandrel, running on a drill press with a lower stabilizing bearing, for many years and don't recognize ever turning an eccentric grip or needing a rest. The only eccentricity problems I have had have come during the reaming, they are if anything rare rather than usual.

This setup cannot handle harder woods, (it might if I could get cylindrical rather than square wooden blanks) but for cork, EVA, and foam cores it works just fine.

I like to keep the dusty cork turning out in the garage away from my wrapping setup.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2022 06:18PM

Michael, good to hear your success with your drill press set up. I am quite certain that my power wrapper will be more than up to the task. As for the dusty cork turning in the garage goes. I completely understand that. When I was making that carbon fiber grip I referenced earlier, it created a lot of dust. After that mess I decided to make a dust collection system using a small shop vac. It works very well. I still wipe down and clean everything before I wrap any guides or apply any finish though. So far so good.

And Custom Fly Grips LLC just must be that good. I ordered more items with them yesterday (on a Sunday) and they shipped today. The folks there are definitely on top of their game. I am loving it !!!

Date: January 31, 2022 11:40PM

David - Michael -
This was one of some wood grips that I made some years ago for ice fishing rods.

The tail stock - as shown in this picture was used to bore the centered hole full length through the wood grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here I was using my drum dryer to hold the wood grips that I had made and was drying the grips after coating them with two coats of flex coat thread coating epoxy. A very nice final result:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 01, 2022 06:09PM

Looks good Roger. Very nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster