I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Plug DIY options or ?
Posted by: Chris Baker (---.winnipeg.ca)
Date: January 28, 2022 09:31AM

Hello,

My recent purchase of a Arctos 5'9" spinning rod (thanks for the guidance on the guides) included a rear grip with a rounded composite cork butt (no but cap required) but also has a hole in it - duh of course it does, how else would you ream it out. My problem is I didn't purchase the composite cork plug that is supposed to go with it. I would rather not make another order, any thoughts on how to plug that hole? Its a bit larger than the diameter of a AAA battery. Thanks.

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Plug DIY options or ?
Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: January 28, 2022 09:33AM

If looks aren't that important, use a wooden dowel and sand it to fit

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 28, 2022 11:55AM

The best match would be to cut a plug from a piece of composite cork with an appropriately sized cork borer, but I assume you have neither. A good alternative is to go your local hardware store and get a black plastic/nylon hole plug or nylon push fastener of the right size. They are inexpensive, and come in a variety of sizes, and styles. They overlap the hole, fit flush to the surface and look pretty good.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 12:26PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 28, 2022 01:41PM

Thanks guys, I am going look into both options.

Chris

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: January 28, 2022 02:02PM

Consider using a button from a craft store, or even a drawer pull from your local hardware store

Ron Weber

Date: January 28, 2022 02:45PM

Hey Norm,

Just re-read your post. When you say overlap the hole, do you mean the plug goes on the outside of the blank and ends up between the blank and the grip - plug is female end, blank is male end? So overlapping the blank, similar to a fighting butt on a fly rod or how a one would plug a copper plumbing pipe and then glue that and that to the grip? Hopefully this makes sense.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 28, 2022 03:19PM

Chris,
Norman beat me to it. A hole plug is a viable option and even look good. In some fields, they are referred to as “Christmas Tree” plugs due to the cross-section resembling a Christmas tree = the branches are the barbs which hold the plug into the hole. Norman’s reference to “They overlap the hole, fit flush to the surface and look pretty good” describes the barbs going into the hole and the larger (relatively flat) cap of the plug overlaps (covers) the hole and sits flat against the end of the grip. For example, one of these plugs might have a .25in diameter portion which goes into the hole and then a .75in diameter cap.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 28, 2022 03:58PM

Here is what a push-in panel fastener looks like.
[www.oreillyauto.com]
Here is what a hole plug looks like.
[www.amazon.com]
Many hardware and auto parts stores stock these in various sizes to fit various hole sizes. They just push into the hole, and over lap it to give a nice finished look. They can be glued into place if you want.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 03:59AM

If you can't find a suitable plug fill it with epoxy. I have used epoxy as a filler of gaps and holes. A liquid works best. I dye it black using ground up natural charcoal. Just scrub it on some 80 grit to make some dust. To plug a grip hole pack some paper or cotton ball into the blank. Pour the dyed epoxy into the hole of the grip. Hardest part is keeping the rod vertical upside down. With a short rod its not too hard. I just go heavy with masking tape and tape it the wall. Let cure then sand to blend things together.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 29, 2022 11:39AM

OReilly also has rubber panel fasteners that look a lot like the one Norman is linking, look on the rotary display for panel fasteners. I've used them for years, not showy, but they work just fine, look finished, and are softer than the hard plastic one. I alwys clean them with alcohol and sand the barb areas thinking that they might have mold release on them. I have used RodBond and never had a failure. Tom has recommended Goop for rubber parts.

I have also made a paste out of sanding dust of the same cork used for the butt knob with RodBond and put it into the hole. It almost disappears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster