I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Killing 2 Birds With the Same Stone / Expiditing PG Cure Time
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 27, 2022 12:39AM

Huh? Now that I have your attention, this is intended as a Light-hearted post yet can heavily reduce the amount of time required to cure Perma Gloss (PG). Not being a volume builder like some of you where steps of multiple rod builds overlap, I am always looking for ways to save time rather than “watching epoxy go-off”.
U40 PG is a great product and I use it often; it offers a quite durable finish, easy to apply (after some experimenting), no mixing required, and cures (at least the solvents [xylene] evaporate) rather quickly. Nonetheless, it does require time to cure and the lower the ambient temperature and relative humidity = the longer the cure rate / time.
To speed-up the curing time required, position the parts in the flow of the exhaust of your clothes dryer vent. If you play your cards correctly, it is possible to even enhance your marital status by offering to do the laundry lol. After giving the PG 60 minutes to develop a skin to not allow any lint to stick, 2 loads of laundry will accelerate the cure of the PG remarkably.
So, while I hope it brings a smile to your face, it actually works as well.
I already anticipate rebuttal from those who are concerned with “sealing-off” the preceding layer prior to fully curing, and they are correct. Unlike an actual 2-part, catalyzed material, PG requires “breathing-space” to absorb atmospheric moisture to cure, similar yet opposite to “solvent-based” materials which still require “breathing-space” but to allow the solvents to escape (degas). Sealing-off an uncured, prior coat of PG with a new coat is not a good idea. Common sense will prevail; if you can smell it = it is not cured.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Killing 2 Birds With the Same Stone / Expiditing PG Cure Time
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 27, 2022 07:34AM

Please tell me more about this dryer and laundry you speak of. What are they? Where can I find them?

HAHA

A.P.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2022 08:01AM

Ralph O'Quinn suggested putting a kettle on your kitchen stove and boiling some water in it. This increases humidity inside your home and will effectively speed up the set and cure of the PG.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2022 09:06AM

I like your dryer idea but I recommend doing it with no clothes in the dryer. My dryer vent over time gets an accumulation of lint and I have to occasionally clean it out.

I don't want to take a chance of getting any lint on my finish so for me I will pass on the dryer idea.

Regards

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 27, 2022 12:45PM

Without clothes in the drier you will not have the moisture required !

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 27, 2022 02:10PM

You are absolutely correct! Clothes will provide necessary moisture, however drying tumbling clothes produce lint, if any of you cleaned out a dryer screen you will know what I mean. I guarantee the lint trap does not filter out all the lint during a dying cycle.

I remain firm, I will pass on the dryer technique.

Regards
John

Date: January 27, 2022 03:52PM

Unless the dryer has a water line and a perm-press or refresh cycle feature, you will need clothes to provide moisture. Using the dryer example we could put it in the living room with a humidifier and the fireplace running.

Date: January 27, 2022 04:19PM

Thanks for the replies.
Aaron,
Your marital status is either rock-solid and picture-perfect or nonexistent lol.
Tom,
You (Ralph) are correct except that is not Killing 2 Birds With the Same Stone. In fact, it could hinder one’s marital status; I would not be allowed to build rods inside the house lol.
John,
I realize your lint concern; that is why I stated in the original post “After giving the PG 60 minutes to develop a skin to not allow any lint to stick, 2 loads of laundry will accelerate the cure of the PG remarkably”.
So while possibly not a milestone breakthrough in rod construction, it does work to save time and who knows, maybe Aaron can learn how to do the laundry lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 27, 2022 04:34PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the replies.
> Aaron,
> Your marital status is either rock-solid and
> picture-perfect or nonexistent lol.

It is picture perfect. I could not ask for better at my young age.

To be honest, I have left enough pens in my pocket to be banished from the laundry room for a while.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 09:17PM

Either it dries too fast, or it don't dry fast enough. Lol

Date: January 28, 2022 12:24AM

Touche', Lynn.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 10:35AM

Or, just move to Florida.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 07:44PM

And miss major winter snow storms, and -20 wind chills? No thanks !!!

Date: January 28, 2022 08:28PM

David,
I will plead as Aaron did concerning laundry = -20* wind chill? “What are they? Where can I find them?” I live in LALA Land; people out here freak-out when night-time temps PLUMMET into the 40*s lol.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster