I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alignment Dots - how do you do it?
Posted by: Chris Baker (---.winnipeg.ca)
Date: January 25, 2022 10:39AM

Hello,

I am curious how others add alignment dots on ferrules?

I have only done it once and used a paint marker - it has a pen point that retracts and releases paint. I toggle it a couple times to get the paint flowing on the table or paper etc and add a dot by 'eye balling it' - This has worked although i have to admit I had to wipe off the dot a few times to get it perfect. The other issue is that the pen dried up in about a year. So, how do you do it?

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alignment Dots - how do you do it?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2022 11:22AM

It would be too much for me to describe in a forum post, but a past issue of RodMaker showed how to make an alignment marking device that puts both marks in place at the same time. Works with paint.

Most any method still relies on alignment by eye to some extent and having to wipe of a mark every so often due to mis-alignment is pretty common. One neat idea I've seen is the use of feather inlays with the quill ends used for alignment. A bit more work but it's a nice touch.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 25, 2022 11:35AM

I use a paint marker as you describe. I have found that by storing it point done mine lasts for a few years.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 25, 2022 12:24PM

I use colored epoxy dots. I mix pigment into a small amount of epoxy, almost any liquid epoxy is suitable. Then using the head a a small finishing nail, place the dot where you want it. If you make a mistake just wipe it off. You can make it any color you want, and it holds up extremely well, This process gives a slightly raised bump allowing for one to easily align the dots even in the dark.
Norm

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: January 25, 2022 12:36PM

I've done the feather thing and it looks great. But it takes time to prepare the feather, more fiddling to position the feather with CP, then waiting for the CP to dry so you can apply epoxy.

I now use acrylic paint (usually white) and a toothpick. A drop of paint on the end of a toothpick is all that's needed per dot. Yep, alignment can be the occasional issue, but 'do overs' are quick and easy plus you're ready for epoxy in 30 minutes or less.

Guess I'm losing patience in my elder years. (And do real men really need alignment aids to assemble a fly rod?)

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2022 03:43PM

Hello Chris.
Here is the location of the article Tom spoke of.in RodMaker Magazine.

Vol/Issue________Article________________Author__________Page
14/4 Alignment Marking Tool, Multi-Piece. By Tom Kirkman. 22

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 25, 2022 07:09PM

Donald, NO, alignment aids are not needed, but they are a way of customizing ones build, for clients. As I build fly rods, and almost exclusively 4 piece, it is a nice touch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2022 07:11PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 26, 2022 09:41AM

Because I do a lot of night fishing I cut a 1/8" wide strip of reflector tape into 1-1 1/2' long pieces. Once my rods are joined correctly I press on the tape over the joined pieces then slice at the join with the scalpel. Works perfectly for me

Posted by: Jeffrey Merlino (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2022 07:20PM

I use the cheapest fingernail polish I can find in the color I want and coat it with a thin coat of whatever I'm finishing my wraps with - spar or epoxy. You can buy an alignment dot tool on several rod building sites that is exactly the same as a fingernail dotting pen. You can get a set of them containing different sizes on Amazon for ~$5. I usually opt for relatively small dots.

If you mis-step on the dotting, a rag damp with alcohol will clean it right up so you can try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 10:36PM by Jeffrey Merlino.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster