I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removal of dry epoxy on reel seat
Posted by: Salvatore Frisina (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 03:10PM

Hi all: I desperately need your help. I just finished a beautiful rod and used an Alps aluminum blue reel seat. I finished the rod then noticed a small amount of dried up epoxy on the reel seat top near the grip. Is there a way I might be able to remove the epoxy without damaging the paint on the reel seat. Please help, I need to ship this out by Thursday.

Thank You.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removal of dry epoxy on reel seat
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: January 24, 2022 03:41PM

Having not encountered this all I can say is what I would try.

If you have a softer plastic putty knife or blade like you would use to put graphics on windows, you may be able to somewhat chisel at the edges of the epoxy. An angled wooden dowels used for cleaning under fingernails could work as well. The plastic should not penetrate and damage the aluminum as long as it is soft enough. Usually epoxy will come off of smooth surfaces like aluminum fairly easily. Hence why we scuff where we epoxy.

Hopefully you get a first hand proven technique. I would wait for one before trying this. Best of luck.

A.P.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 04:28PM

A short shot of directed heat from a lighter flame will also help to loosen the adhesion so the epoxy can be popped or peeled off the seat easier.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 24, 2022 04:40PM

Salvatore,
When you say aluminum seat, I am assuming the blue is ANODIZED and not painted. While Aarons suggestions would certainly minimize the chances of scratching the seat, they may not be effective. Nonetheless, you’ve got nothing to lose so give it a shot first. Otherwise…
The anodized finish is basically aluminum oxide = very hard. Unfortunately, it is also employed to promote better bonding / adhesion. Since the surface is so hard, a carefully and precisely angled BRAND NEW razor blade may shave (or hopefully pop) off the excess epoxy. Careful additional heat from a heat gun will soften the epoxy but do not exceed 150*F so as not to compromise the epoxy bonding the seat to the blank . Aluminum conducts heat extremely well so be careful. If worried or in doubt, wrap a wet rag around the seat / blank except where the epoxy to be removed is. But just as aluminum ACCEPTS heat quickly, it inversely LOSES heat quickly as well so you will have to work quickly.
Sorry to say, but if the seat is PAINTED, you may be SOL.
Please inform us how it turns out!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Salvatore Frisina (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 05:20PM

Hi all: I will paste the email Mike Thorson from Batson sent me: (By the way, it was a quick response, excellent company)

sounds like you put a beautiful rod together! The finish on the Alps reel seats is anodized so it is pretty durable. I would try this: Take a heat gun and warm the seat up in the area where the glue is! There are some PVC parts on the reel seats, the delrin washers between the nuts, and the hood cushion (if present). Try not to heat those areas too much. The heat should soften the epoxy and allow you to scrap it off! Use a pop sickle stick to scrap with so you don't scratch the anodizing. The other option would be to use acetone but be very careful with that as it will damage the rod finish or anything plastic.    Best of luck, Mike Thorson

So thanks to Mr. Throson who seems to care about his customers.

As for my stupidity, I taped the ends of the reel seat when I put the grips on just so I don't have to clean off the epoxy. So what had happened is the tape adhesive residue was left behind. All I had to do was use some denatured alcohol and remove it but with a lot of rubbing and force. But it came off.

So, I want to thank all of you for helping me with this problem. It's good to know that companies like Batson and of course all you rod builders are there to help.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.centralaccess.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 08:39PM

Glad to hear your build was rescued! Great positive to start the week on.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 09:32PM

Utmost/Batson also stepped up for me as well this week! Topnotch outfits!

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 09:45AM

In the future,if you get under any corner of the dried epoxy with a razor blade bade push up the glue should pop off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 25, 2022 11:07AM

A couple of comments:
If you use heat - do not use a lighter that uses lighter fluid and has a yellow flame. The yellow flame indicates that there is carbon in the flam and with use, black soot will be left on the object that is heated.

However, if you use a butane lighter, then that burns with an invisible flame and there will be no deposit left behind.

You can also use an alcohol burner that is filled with 100% alcohol and do not use the drug store alcohol for fuel because this is only about 70% alcohol and that fuel will also burn with a yellow flame and leave soot and black behind.

-----------------
You mention using denatured alcohol to clean up masking tape residue. Yes, it works after a fashion.

But a much better choice for cleaning up masking tape residue is the use of Mineral Spirits or pain thinner. The adhesive used on masking tape is essentially petroleum derived and thus, when mineral spirits is used as a cleaning agent, the fluid simply dissolves the adhesive and masking tape residue that simply lets you wipe off the residue.

However,Mineral Spirits leave an oily residue behind. So, after removing the masking tape adhesive from the surface of your rod /blank/reel seat, follow up with DNA - which will then easily wipe off the mineral spirits residue. Or you can simply spray the rod down with Windex or Simple green to remove all finger prints, grease marks or spots quickly and easily.

Best wishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster