I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking to get into rod building
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: February 01, 2022 07:41AM

Oddly enough, fluorocarbon stays on the reel better when it comes off a big spool. Even on a small reel, if you spool it correctly it will be fine. To be 100% sure run the line on the spool under hot water for a few minutes. I run straight fluoro on anything under 10lb including 4 and 6lb on ultralights with Pflueger supreme xt
25's (small bales) for mountain trout fishing.

A.P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Les Cline (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2022 03:37AM

Andrew,

Awesome advice and suggestions here!

Like I am vulnerable to doing, let me tell you a story to make a relatively simple point or two to reiterate what you have already read here and encourage your efforts:

Love the Float and Fly technique (learned it on Dale Hollow Lake) ! I built a rod on a Loomis GL3 fly blank with a cork Tennessee Handle back in the day (late 80's as I recall). The guys back then would throw a fixed cork on a 9 to 12 ft. leader so they used long rods to keep the line, cork, and fly/jig off the water when casting. Casting distance was somewhat limited because of these 'logistics'. There was even a special cast that some had mastered to achieve a type of 'swing and fling' of a relatively light set up. They could really huck that rig well considering the dynamics.

I'm sure I wasn't the first, but I figured out a better strategy for my style with a shorter rod and a Slip Cork the next year. Used braided line (because it floated) with a #4 leader of mono about 9-10 ft. long and a 1/16th Craft Hair Jig. I got part of it right, but not all of it. I used a little "rubber sausage" style float stopper to hit my depth at first; later switched to Rubber Cement on a Double Uni Knot. I reeled that sausage stopper right through the guides and just shy of the spool or sometimes into the spool. My slip cork would hang maybe two or three feet off my rod tip when I made my next cast - not the 9-12 ft. of line my fishing buddies were trying to manage. Made some racket casting, as you might suspect, as that stopper ran through the guides, but it went through pretty well anyway. I could cast at least 30 to 50% farther than they could. Can't say I caught more or better fish than them consistently, but I didn't do worse, and on some points and banks, I did better because I could cover more water first, and faster than them. Caught some very nice smallmouth bass this way. And I did not have to feel like a ballerina inside a marshmellow when I wanted to cast.

My first point with that story is this: Welcome to Custom Rod Building! There are a gang of craftsmen here that are into all kinds of rods, lures, interests - like you.

More babbling to get to my second point.: Back then, #6 ring guides were about the smallest we could get with the sources we had. Good thing since I needed the extra diameter to pass that little bobber stopper through about 10 guides. Man, we hucked those rigs as far as we could throw! Also helped because we fished in January and February, and ice in your guides was common.

My Second Point: Select your components to maximize your techniques and style of fishing. For me back then: Shorter rod was easier and more accurate to cast. Larger guides passed my leaders and knots. I could make a rod that was a better fit than what I saw around me (For me, not everyone).

My Last point from that story (Finally!): I built my Float and Fly rod trying to mimic what I saw already existed - long rods to cast long rigs. I still have that rod, but don't use it much. Because I had learned how to build a rod, I could think outside the box a little and experiment. I'd build a different rod today than the first two or three initial attempts at it. Take an idea and walk with it for a time or two around the block.

I still have some Craft Hair I bought from a shop in Celina, Tennessee. Still tie jigs.

Posted by: Andrew Hews (---)
Date: February 19, 2022 03:45PM

Thank you guys for all your help I have built two spinning rods now and really enjoy building rods. Made a few mistakes finishing like getting finish run up on guides what do you guys do to minimize this problem. I also had an issue of cracking my fighting butt on one of them that didn't have hole all the way through and was quarter inch hole which I had to make over half an inch which didn't notice crack until I had epoxied it on. It is functional just bothers me because it is a mistake. How do you normally open up a fighting butt that doesn't have a pass through hole with reamer or is there another tool you use?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster