I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fiber
Posted by: Glenda Rodtka (---.xplornet.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 08:39PM

I have been watching some Solitip you tube videos where carbon fiber is used to reinforce repaired breaks. It appears to be very thin and about 1/4 inch wide and is wound on over fresh epoxy. It looks very good. But, where can a person find something like this? I can find carbon fiber but all thicker and heavier. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fiber
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 22, 2022 10:24PM

Glenda,
First off, anyone and everyone needs to realize, understand and accept that a repaired broken rod WILL NOT be identical prior to being broken, PERIOD. There are those willing to accept the compromise, and many may not be able to notice the difference anyway. With the numerous methods invented to repair a broken rod comes an equal number of criticism to those methods. Each method of repair and accompanying criticism has merits as well as flaws. The only perfect solution is to not break the rod in the first place lol.
Whether the repair is conducted with an internal “spigot” or external “sleeve” cut from a sacrificial blank section, woven sleeving, uni fibers, scarfed (as in one of the Solitip videos) or whatever, the repaired section will ultimately be the best if performed with a lower modules material than the blank itself (my main criticism of your videos). While one can simply add enough material to the actual break to keep it from breaking at that point again, a haphazard, overly strong repair can actually create the blank to break again on either side of the repair! With that said, I suggest employing E-glass for repairs to FG or CF blanks. The ultimate method remains up to the discretion of the person performing the repair.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:13AM

Glenda,
Sorry, I did not answer your original question of where to find appropriate material. Soller Composites offers a great selection of composite fabrics as well as other “ingredients'' for the composite industry. While they offer unidirectional fabrics and roving as well, I often simply pull strands of fabric from woven cloth (up to 48in). It is your choice whether ordering single-strand or woven material. One way or the other, Soller Composites is a great source for anything related to composites; say hi to Jon for me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:52PM

Mark - thank you for your reply. I have been repairing my broken rods for too many years and agree with everything you say. My preference is to use a lower stiffness internal spigot to prevent the rod from breaking at either end of the internal splice because it's too stiff. I thought the carbon fiber wrap might stiffen the center of the break to equal original rod stiffness but then taper both directions to eliminate [reduce] the chance of breakage at the splice end. Tips are another matter because of their very small internal diameter. I have used outside sleeves with success other than looking like a snake that ate a rat. Maybe a small short stiff, even metal spigot type over wrapped with this fiber might work better. Anyway something to fool around with. And again thank you for your help. - Glenda

Date: January 23, 2022 02:23PM

Glenda,
You apparently understand that ANY repair, be it a spigot, sleeve or wound roving, can add quite a bit of stress to the blank at the ends of the repair, just one reason to use a lower modulus material for the repair. I would think FG, E-glass more so than S-glass, would be a better material than CF. Another point of concern is the direction of the repair fibers. Many people do not realize the importance of aligning the fibers, whether woven, unidirectional, or random mat (yuck) to best distribute flexural stress within the part (or repair section in this case). Wound AROUND the blank greatly adds to the hoop strength while offering minimal longitudinal strength and conversely, aligned axially ALONG THE BLANK greatly adds to the longitudinal strength while offering minimal hoop strength. Without getting into precise angles, aligning the fibers in a bais orientation (+45* / -45*) would seem the best generic compromise application for a broken rod repair with +30* / -30* probably better to provide more hoop strength than longitudinally. To minimize the added stiffness at the ends of the repair, taper the repair so the ends are thinner than the center. For example, wrap the first ply (or course) 1in wide, the second ply 1.5in wide, and the third 2in wide. Starting shorter and getting longer will conceal the edge of the underlying ply and produce a smoother, more uniform final layer. Basically, I would think making the thickest portion of the repair approximately the same as the blank itself, possibly a tic thicker, would be best.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2022 06:09PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 23, 2022 10:19PM

Ralph O”Quinn remains a rightfully respected and extremely knowledgeable man; our industry is at a loss without him anymore. Tom’s link to his “Repairing Broken Rods” article is a fine example of his intellect and willingness to share with the rod building (repairing) world. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find or offer justifiable disagreement with his observations, statements or opinions.
With all due respect to Mr. (I think it may actually be Dr.) O”Quinn, some of his broken rod repairs appear to be a bit bulbous, or as Glenda described it, “looking like a snake that ate a rat”. Most of that is probably due to utilizing existing sacrificial blanks to make the repairs. It seems to me that even if a lower modulus sleeve is employed for the repair, the significantly larger diameter would still drastically and exponentially increase the stiffness at that point. Furthermore, a “splint” made from a sacrificial blank section will undoubtedly and inherently possess the majority of fibers running longitudinally to further contribute to axial rigidity. I contend and am confident that wrapping the break with strands/ filaments of E-glass in a bias orientation of ~+45* / -45* will supply the required strength but without the bulk and impeding less on the original flex curve of the blank. Granted, I have made fewer such repairs compared to who knows how many Ralph O”Quinn has, but I have yet to have a failure.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 24, 2022 12:32AM

Glenda,
I believe you are on the correct track / tact. Since your email is hidden, contact my personal email if you care to do so.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 24, 2022 05:15PM

I actually read the article a few years ago that was suggested by T Kirkman and found it most informative. Thank you Tom and Mark. Am not feeling too bright at the moment but I didn't even know about the personal email feature. Am going to give it a try. Thanks everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster