I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help finding a comparable blank to a broken factory rod.
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 12:40PM

A friend of mine is a local guide and just broke his favorite flounder rod. I'm looking to find a blank that's close enough that I can replicate it. The old rod was a Daiwa DXB801MHRB.
it's an 8' MH 1/4-1oz 12-17lb line rating. It has a slower action and he fishes 1/2 to 1 oz bucktails with it. Thank you for any assistance you all can give me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help finding a comparable blank to a broken factory rod.
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 02:29PM

Tyler,
Although not 8 foot - check out the last few blanks on this listing of Immortal blanks.
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

These popping blanks with their slower action will work very well for the needs of your friend.

The following are heavier Salt Water blanks in 8 foot and longer. The first one on the list could be a possible candidate. But, note that these blanks are overall considerably heavier than the ones on the first list.
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
I was thinking that perhaps the 1st blank on the list as a possible candidate.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 02:33PM

Been 5 years or so since I tried one of those sticks, they made a 7-6 and 8, I believe the 8, but frankly I don't remember which one, we were using crankbaits and small swimbaits. I remember it was very much on the heavy power side of MH in my opinion. Not particularly high modulus, relatively inexpensive rod. I would look at the Rainshadow REVCB80H-SB. One of our guys was throwing some pretty big stuff maybe 2 oz. no problem. Build weight was in the 6 oz. range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2022 02:39PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 06:03PM

I found this. You might try contacting tackle warehouse and see if they can recommend something close. It is listed as a "Bass cranking rod".

[www.tackletour.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 08:12PM

The MHX CB965 appears to be pretty close to the specs you listed.
[mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 22, 2022 03:01AM

I’ve handed quite a few “this has been my favorite rod since the year 19XX, and I can’t believe it’s no longer available” friends one of my builds and watched them get sheepish and start asking questions. I think that many of the people who cling to older rods do so because fast and extra-fast actions dominate the retail racks. These don’t feel at all right to people who are adapted to using a more progressive bending rod with a finer, more flexible tip section. My point is that you might be able to really satisfy your friend if you get him to go with a similar action blank that is lighter and more sensitive. I have several old rods, that I used to think were the bomb, that now cause me to cringe a bit when I use them as backups and in niche situations. Three years ago I built on one of the Rainshadow Immortal popping blanks that Roger linked above, and it’s almost wrong that such a nice fishing blank costs that little.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:34AM

Tylor,
If you have the pieces, do your friend a favor and splice the rod to get it back into service.

Then, you will have breathing time to build him a new one.

As long as you have the original pieces, there are very few rods that can not be repaired well for a good rod again.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 22, 2022 10:58AM

RB is for reaction bait, Diawa has always been a fan of IM7 in bass rods of this price range, the reason I thought the heavy crankbait blank from Rainshadow would be apropriate, the right graphite and a very universal, easy blank to live with and a bit beefier than the heavy popping blanks from Rainshadow I have been around, I haven't fished an Eternity, but I have the rest. I even use it as a rod for salmon fishing.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: January 22, 2022 12:02PM

Thank you all for so many suggestions!! I'm looking into all of the blanks suggested and will see which one he leans toward.

Kendall I agree with you 100% on that. So many people want to stick to what they know with much newer technology out there. But he has 25+ custom rods and knows what is out there. But he says that is his absolute favorite rod to target flounder with on buckatils. So he seems very set on recreating that rod.

Roger I've never spliced a rod back together do you have a link to some information on that technique?

Date: January 22, 2022 02:10PM

Tyler,
Very good articles on the subject in the Library for this forum.

Check them out.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster