I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

In search of
Posted by: John W. Scarborough (---.wrbg.centurylink.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 08:59PM

Hello,
I am building a rod with a Tennessee-style handle on it.
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a set of polished aluminum or chrome rings for the reel.

Thanks for any help I can get.
John Scarborough

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In search of
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 10:32PM

John,
Congratulations on choosing a Tennessee Handle; I have become a big fan! The versatility of positioning the reel anywhere along the length, along with the ability to use either a spinning or fly reel, is often overlooked in favor of a typical tube seat. They can also be lighter and more comfortable in-hand than tube seats.
But without TAPERED rings, any TH is doomed to failure due to the rings not securely holding the reel. I considered tape or zip-ties unacceptable. Through my research, I only found a couple TAPERED RINGS, but the taper is inadequate and only available in some sort of plastic. Hence, I made a properly tapered mandrel to produce my own woven CF / Kevlar or plain CF slip rings which afford hours of fishing without the reel loosening. If interested, contact me through my email.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 19, 2022 10:46PM

Mark,
I will get ahold of you.
I've liked the Tennessee handle since I got one years ago.
Thank you for your time.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2022 01:20AM

Struble- slip rings Tapered I D .745 to .780 , NSSR (silver polished nickle) and BNSSR (black nickle)

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John W. Scarborough (---)
Date: January 20, 2022 10:35AM

Thank you, Dennis.
I will look them up.

Date: January 20, 2022 03:16PM

With all due respect to Denis, a .035in taper is insufficient for typical spinning reel feet; a simple look at the taper on the feet will reveal this. This will cause the rings to “cock” and not lay flat on the cork while only affording a small area of contact on the feet resulting in the rings slipping / reel loosening as well as digging into the cork = the bane of most THs and the reason most people do not like them. They may work, but not efficiently. It may be OK for more “flat-footed” fly reel feet. My tapered composite rings have a taper of ~.100in over ~ .75in long and can be fabricated with IDs ranging from ~.800in / .900in to ~ .900in / 1.0in.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 21, 2022 12:35AM

Janns Netcraft has black ones, a company called Proof has an 11 inch interesting one, instead of spliting in the middle and having to ream both sides without misalignment upon mating, theirs has a tenoned ruberized cork endcap that is installed like all others after you slip on the rings.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2022 09:31AM

The design of the rings for use on TN type handles depends entirely upon the material the rings are made from and the material the grip is made from. Generally the taper of the rings should not exactly match that of the reel foot taper or there will be no "wedge" effect to lock things into place.The rings should have a shallow taper than that of the reel foot. The exception would be rings that are either extremely flexible or made from a nylon type composite such as those offered by Fuji some years ago. In that case, the material allows the rings to act more as rubber bands and do not require the same wedge effect as rings made from stiffer materials.

Date: January 21, 2022 03:24PM

To each his own. I will rely on more surface / contact area to secure my rings rather than a “wedge” effect which digs into the cork and does not lay flat = less comfortable. My composite slip rings never loosen, weigh <1.5g each, are somewhat flexible and they even look nice.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 21, 2022 04:10PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To each his own. I will rely on more surface /
> contact area to secure my rings rather than a
> “wedge” effect which digs into the cork and
> does not lay flat = less comfortable. My composite
> slip rings never loosen, weigh <1.5g each, are
> somewhat flexible and they even look nice.

I don't think you read my post very closely. You don't want the same taper on less flexible rings that you do on more flexible rings. One needs to be more shallow and the other more steep.

Date: January 21, 2022 10:24PM

Spencer, I didn't see the ones from proof.
I'm gonna have to look again.
Thank you

Date: January 21, 2022 11:05PM

How much more closely am I supposed to read (into) your statement “Generally the taper of the rings should not exactly match that of the reel foot taper or there will be no "wedge" effect to lock things into place.” I found the exact opposite to be true and hence, designed and machined an 11* (included angle) Acetal male mold on which to fabricate my composite rings which do not loosen or “wedge” themselves into and damage the cork, lay flat and flush on the top of the grip while at the same time produce a virtually gap-free ramp from the grip up the reel feet on the bottom. But to each his own!
Furthermore, someone’s lack of understanding can often be attributed to not having things xplained properly in the first place; “One needs to be more shallow and the other more steep”. OK, which one is which? How much more “closely”am I expected to read that statement to understand what you meant?

Mark Talmo

Date: January 22, 2022 09:40AM

My original post clearly stated that the best taper for the rings is dependent upon the material the rings are made from and how flexible they are. More shallow for more rigid rings and steeper for more flexible rings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster