I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blanks CTS, MHX or Rodgeeks?
Posted by: Jason Duong (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 11:24AM

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some options on fly rod blanks and I'm sure people are going to say it's subjective and I get that. Unfortunately I can't cast all of these blanks to see what best suites me. Hopefully there are some people with real world experience, opinions or even production rods they would compare these too.

Here's what I'm looking for

I'm a relatively experienced caster with a faster stroke and tend to lean more towards fast actions.

Looking to build a 8wt, 9wt and 12wt for typical flats fishing so wind is a consideration.

The blanks I'm considering currently are
MHX both traditional and Native. I have a 10wt native drying right now so we'll see how that casts

CTS affinity X I don't have any experience with them but have heard a ton of positive feedback. Speaking to Herb it sounds like the Affinity is what would best fit me.

Rod Geeks seen some positive feedback as well.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blanks CTS, MHX or Rodgeeks?
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 03:13PM

Out of that group, CTS.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 03:37PM

I'd rate them in this order, CTS, MHX, Rod Geeks. I have built fly rods all of them, plus I fly fish a lot. I consider the CTS for my premium build clients and the MHX for those who prefer a lower price point.

Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 05:30PM

Phil -

What does you list order become if you throw in a NFC Gamma Beta rod? They currently have a great deal going on those rods.

Posted by: Jason Duong (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 06:09PM

Hey Phil, I like NFC. I've built a few of the conventional rods and like them. I've just been gun shy with some of the shipping issues I've had. Last time it took four months to get my blanks. I heard it's better now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2022 06:22PM by Jason Duong.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 07:17PM

As indicated above, I would consider NFC gamma beta -- and also ponder Eternity 2 from Batson.

Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 08:44PM

Jason - I ordered 3 of the NFC 8 wt. rods around Christmas time. Took about 3 weeks to get them. I was scared about delivery too but took a chance. Hopefully it was not just luck it took the 3 weeks they said it would.

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2022 09:48PM

Eternity 2 from Batson is a sleeper for 8wt.s great blank, as is CTS

Posted by: George Christman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2022 08:25AM

It will cost you (300 sterling plus 20 shipping) but if you want what are probably the best casting blanks available ...........and if you are an advanced enough caster to make use of them......then you should look hard at the Sexyloop Hot Torpedo blanks. The blanks are built in Spain. They are very light, fast action blanks with powerful midsections, some give in the lower section to provide feel, and softish tips (that damp extremely well) to provide excellent close in control. They are "true to weight" rods optimized for similar lines. The blanks do come a bit rough (the female ferrule ends need squaring/sanding). These are not compromise blanks. They've been perfected by one of the best casters/teachers in the world to work well at all distances and their performance reflects this.

I've built on and fished the 6 and 7 wt blanks in saltwater and have an 8 blank on order. Their 10 is also supposed to be a superb rod (a lot of competition casters use these rods to fish). The 12 has much less of a track record, however.
Both the 6 and 7 have worked well for me while bonefishing on foot in all winds. The 6 does fine into wind to the high teens and the 7 is all anyone who can cast would ever want on a bonefish flat into any wind. Obviously it is the caster, not the rod, that determines into the wind performance but these rods have everything it takes to excel in that use. I've caught bonefish to just short of 10lbs on the 6wt and use it as my primary bonefish rod unless I'm throwing crabs or size 2 bulky stuff.

Again, they are expensive but match favorably with the very best rods available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2022 08:26AM by George Christman.

Date: January 20, 2022 12:37PM

Phil B. I would put the NFC Gamma Beta and Classic between the CTS and MHX.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 20, 2022 01:04PM

Shouldn't the buyer's fly casting style be considered before a rod recommendation? Does the customer commonly roll cast? Double haul? Usually cast closer to 20 feet or 60 feet?

Date: January 20, 2022 02:18PM

Phil, the answer is.........OF COURSE ! Also, the casting ability, types of fish pursued and waters fished. I also ask them if they already have a favorite rod. This gives me an indication of the action they may prefer.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 04, 2022 05:37PM

Phil: I figure competent rod builders all ask pretty much the same questions you ask. If we build for an accomplished fly-caster we probably won't have to ask him/her those questions - they will have already informed us of their wishes and specifications. I worry when builders recommend certain rod blanks and rod builds without mentioning the current casting abilities of the user. From his post Jason is probably a double-haul caster or will soon be, given his fishing environment, so I wouldn't obsess over rod weight. The double-haul will minimize casting fatigue. I would recommend a fast-action blank and plan on overloading the line weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2022 05:52PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster