I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Dilemma
Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: January 17, 2022 01:13PM

I've been building some Batson Rainshadow Slow Jig rods lately. Because of the rod's woven graphite surface, the surface is irregular with hills and valleys and due to this condition, decals cannot be applied directly to the blank. I've tried various ways to create a smooth surface including wrapping a layer of thread down and then applying a leveling coat of epoxy. Once cured, I apply and burnish the decal as usual and apply a thin protective epoxy coat over the decal. My problem shows up sometimes weeks later with what appear to be some cloudy or milky looking areas under the decal. It looks like the decal's adhesive has lifted from the underlying epoxy. I'm using mid-weight ProKote epoxy. I know that some resins have a release agent or wax- could this be a possibility? Should I clean the epoxy surface with alcohol before placing the decal? Is the epoxy reacting to Batson's decal adhesive? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Dilemma
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2022 01:23PM

I can't imagine any wrap finish epoxy containing a "release agent" or any sort of wax (gel coat does). I wouldn't wipe the epoxy with any sort of solvent. But I would very lightly scuff the surface with some fine Scotchbrite. Then dust it off with a soft brush or gentle swipe with a paper towel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 17, 2022 01:56PM

Daniel,
To resolve the issue, I apply two coats of epoxy finish to the area before doing anything else. Then, I use a hard backed piece of sand paper to level the surface. Use low tack blue masking tape to tack off the surface and go ahead and apply your decal to the area.
Then, after the rod is built apply your usual number of coats of epoxy to the thread wraps and also over the decal. Let dry and go use the rod.

As far as I am concerned, if one puts down a thread wrap on the rod, one is simply trading one rough surface for a different rough surface.

Nothing smoother than a polished surface of epoxy thread finish that is well cured and sanded starting with 220 grit paper down to 1200 grit paper.

It will be smoother than the "proveriable Babies Butt"

Take care

Date: January 17, 2022 02:14PM

Good suggestions, I'll give them a try. Thanks

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 17, 2022 03:12PM

I don't think they use surfacing or release agents in wrapping epoxy. Polyester resin mostly uses them for finish coats like a gel coat so they can be sanded or used in molds and are not tacky. The epoxy we use should not have release agents. I have used textured or unsanded blanks before and have just epoxied over the area where the decal will be applied. Sometimes it requires a couple of coats or more to get a smooth surface and no sanding is required. If your decals are coming up at the edges you need to use Color Protectant (CP) over the top and at the edges. Use a couple of coats and let it dry between them.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 17, 2022 04:34PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] (look for Larry Pollock's post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 04:41PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2022 06:33PM

After applying the decal, I’ve had good luck with power wrapping thread over the top of the decal and leaving it for 24 hours. Haven’t had any lift up so far

Date: January 17, 2022 09:35PM

I'm not experiencing an edge lifting issue.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2022 07:57PM

I've had a few Batson decals where air has infiltrated between the decal and the backing sheet for whatever reason. when this happens there is always a cloudy area surrounding exposed area. When this occurs, no amount of burnishing will fix it. In my case the cloudiness is usually apparent before finish is applied. This won't likely help, but I felt like typing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster