I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim thread revisited
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2022 06:07PM

Several days ago I posted an inquiry concerning using metallic embroidery thread for trim thread. I was cautioned to test it before using it on the rod I am currently working on, I always planned on doing that. I did several practice wraps on an old graphite spinning rod and used the embroidery thread, coated it twice with Thread Master Lite and dried it on my rotating dryer for four hours, it looks great. I see no problems whatsoever, what will it look like in a year? who knows but right now it looks like any wrap with regular trim thread. Thank you for all the comments and input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim thread revisited
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 06:50PM

If you were going to have problems they would already have occurred. Aside from sun fade you're out of the woods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 10:34PM

I've used Sulky embroidery thread metallics for 2 decades, I've not seen any fading in any of my rods, or ones I see from time to time I built for others. That said none of my rods are left out in the sun when not in use, they are stored in my garage, or rod room in racks. Nylon threads also fade if left out in the sun, and epoxy yellows and turns opaque.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2022 02:29PM

I'm glad to read that no problems with Sulky thread. I have been trying to find a red metallic thread that matches the red trim rings made by Alps I ordered 4 different metallic reds from Sulky in hopes of finding a match. In case anyone is interested. Sulky Silver Metallic Thread - Red #145-8054, is extremely close to being a perfect match for the Alps red. It's also very close to the red in Shimano's, Vanford spinning reels.

HItena's metallic Zebra #1508 Candy Apple is the perfect match for the red in the Vanford reels. If I had went with black trim rings I would have gone with the Hitena for trim bands on the guides and hook keeper, But since I went with the red trim rings, I'm going with the Sulky. Gonna be a sweet looking rod and reel combo.

Oh and if you're looking for a very sparkly metallic thread, Sulky's holoshimmer metallic thread is definitely a thread you want to look at. It is beautiful.

Addition: If you happen to be looking for a blue that matches the blue in Shimano's SLX line of bait casters, specifically the SLX 70 MGL. Alps cobalt blue trim rings are a perfect match, and Pro Wrap 9470 Bluefin is a perfect match when it comes to metallic thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 02:46PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 15, 2022 08:50PM

Yeah, mine don't fade in the shade either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster