I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finding correct guides
Posted by: Mychael Turner (---)
Date: January 13, 2022 05:29PM

The guys in my club found out that I've started to build some rods, only three so far so I'm a total newbie. Some of the boys have asked me to replace a few guides and tips and such. I'm totally happy to do it. My question to you all is how do I match the existing type of guide? I understand sizing and color but what about ring material and brand. Some of the rods will newer models and some older etc. Is this more of a visual and functionality thing or is there a more correct way to go about it?? TIA,, Mychael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finding correct guides
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 13, 2022 06:01PM

There really is no science to it. Most of the time getting "close enough" visually is fine. A lot of rods have pretty generic guides. Most of the high-end guides are recognizable (ie Fuji guides have that stamped on them) You can sometimes tell ring material by the look, but about 0% of fisherman would notice that their rod with regular aluminum oxide guides has one alconite guide. Certainly can ask on the forum here as well, folks have seen an awful lot of rods.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 13, 2022 06:34PM

Hello Mychael.

You can go to a seller who has a lot of info on guides like MudHole.

Hope this works:

[mudhole.com]

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 13, 2022 06:36PM

If they are current production rods a phone call to the manufacturer will get you what you need. If older rods, than you can simply match visually

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 13, 2022 07:23PM

Mychael,
Other than vintage agate or shock-ring guides, commonly available present guides offer enough choices to closely match those of most rods to be repaired; maybe not perfectly but usually close enough. If the owner complains that the guide is not a perfect match, tell him he should have been more careful with the rod in the first place lol; beggars-can't-be-choosers! You can’t make chicken soup from chicken poop!
Your bigger “match” concerns will undoubtedly be the thread color; the wrong color will stand-out like a red-headed-stepchild. Making a “thread swatch” of as many colors as possible on a sacrificial blank or even a wood dowel can prove invaluable. In doing so, make the wraps of each color wide enough to allow the first ? coated with PG, the first and second ? coated with epoxy, and the last ? bare with nothing on it. Since even NCP can darken when coated, having the bare thread available to compare will aid choosing the correct thread color.
Most owners have no problem (if not expecting to) paying $8.00 for a color you may not have; and then you can add the new color to your personal stock on his dime.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 13, 2022 07:53PM

Mychael,
This is a re-write due to the site not recognizing fractions:
Other than vintage agate or shock-ring guides, commonly available present guides offer enough choices to closely match those of most rods to be repaired; maybe not perfectly but usually close enough. If the owner complains that the guide is not a perfect match, tell him he should have been more careful with the rod in the first place lol; beggars-can't-be-choosers! You can’t make chicken soup from chicken poop!
Your bigger “match” concerns will undoubtedly be the thread color; the wrong color will stand-out like a red-headed-stepchild. Making a “thread swatch” of as many colors as possible on a sacrificial blank or even a wood dowel can prove invaluable. In doing so, make the wraps of each color wide enough to allow the first THIRD coated with PG, the first and second THIRD coated with epoxy, and the last THIRD bare with nothing on it. Since even NCP can darken when coated, having the bare thread available to compare will aid choosing the correct thread color.
Most owners have no problem (if not expecting to) paying $8.00 for a color you may not have; and then you can add the new color to your personal stock on his dime.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 09:43AM

A lot of companies list the guides and components they used on a paticular series in their catalogs. Fuji and SeaGuide are stamped on the guide, Kigan guides are on the Hydra site to the left, St Croix and others have used them recently. Black guides are going to have to be somone else than Fuji now. You can't get some of the threads anymore, you just do the best you can as mentioned above.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 10:08AM

Mark has nailed it down, the thread is actually harder to match. A lot of us have been building rods for many years and can pretty much make an educated guess as to who the manufacturer is because we have looked at buying them at one time or another. Measure the ring size from the OD of the ring and match the color of it to get close. Most manufactured rods use stainless or plated frames on their general models and may use titanium frames on their high end stuff. To me, that is part of the fun of trying to match guides and thread on repair rods and you can also sell them a better rod that you made. Many times damaged guides come along with a damaged blank, so the rod may need to be replaced / retired.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 07:32PM

Some manufacturers use proprietary guides and you will not find a match unless you can reuse one from an existing/broken/sacrificial rod. I've changed all the guides on a few rods over the years to at least have a matching set. I will always recommend to change just the guides needed and just getting close to the originals to keep costs down. Sometimes the time and effort involved is worth more than the rod is. Lol

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 15, 2022 11:55AM

The type of line you use (mono or braid), the diameter of line you use, and the ambient temperature will all influence what diameter guides will work best on your rod - but many builders worry more about appearance than they worry about performance - and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2022 03:21PM

Phil? Do you have any published verifiable data that can substantiate your claims concerning line type, line diameter, and ambient temperature having an influence on proper guide sizing? Or are these just your personal observations and opinions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 03:22PM by David Baylor.

Date: January 15, 2022 07:15PM

David: Line type, line diameter, and ambient temperature most certainly affect the flexibility of fishlines, and I don't need to read a book to know this. You apparently believe that ONE perfect guide train best handles lines of any and all sizes, made of any material, used at any temperature. I'll pass on any book which ignores the line material, line diameter, and ambient temperature to pronounce THE "proper" guide sizing?

Date: January 15, 2022 08:55PM

We ARE replacing one or more guides on an existing rod here. Very little thought involved. Sorry.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 16, 2022 06:46AM

Sorry Phil, you're not getting off that easy. Earlier you mentioned that "many builders worry more about appearance than they worry about performance". Your tying temperature and its' affect on the properties, and ultimately the performance of various types and sizes of fishing line, relates directly to the on the water performance of a rod and reel combination. And since I am big into the actual on the water performance of a fishing rod and reel combination, I'll need to know more about how you came to your conclusions.

Surely there is a specific temperature, or range of temperatures where each type of fishing line performs at or near its' peak. Would you be so kind as to share the results of the dynamic mechanical analysis you did for each of these line types and sizes, so that going forward I and others can select their guides accordingly?

Of course you could have done what I should have done, and not interjected this type of nonsense into a thread that concerned matching the type and size of an existing damaged guide.

My apologies to the other members of this forum.

Date: January 16, 2022 09:23PM

I have built nothing but fly rods for the last 35 years, and I have fished almost exclusively in Florida for the last 22 years. Still, after 50+ years of winter fishing and ice fishing in Finger Lakes country I have observed the fact that in near and sub freezing temperatures nylon monofilament line and fluorocarbon monofilament lines "stiffen up", and the larger the diameter of the line the worse the stiffness problem. I would like the names experts in books or on line who deny this phenomenon. Feel free to cite scientific sources which refute the conclusions my observations have led me to - or take your book-learned rods with their all-weather guide sizes to a Steelhead river in January and do some casting.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 17, 2022 06:40AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The type of line you use (mono or braid), the
> diameter of line you use, and the ambient
> temperature will all influence what diameter
> guides will work best on your rod - but many
> builders worry more about appearance than they
> worry about performance - and beauty is in the eye
> of the beholder.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Send me an email Phil, yours is hidden. Its about fishing... fishing in Florida that is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 06:42AM by Kent Griffith.

Date: January 17, 2022 05:16PM

These rambles up the garden path sure are fun! Hope you got some help here Mychael. Always cast repeatedly to the same spot if it looks good, sometimes you might get bit. Right Dave? Works for Phil. Lol

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2022 05:46PM

LOL Lynn ......... my problem is, when I see a carp, I can't help but drop a bait straight on their head. lol

Date: January 18, 2022 01:47PM

I switched from bait to flies for carp 50 years ago. The Cotton Poplar seed "hatch" is the best. You won't catch many casting flies "on their head" - better to lead them, cast, and wait for them to spot the fly and take it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster