I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stuck in an Imperial world
Posted by: Jim Ising (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 10:46AM

I found a little treasure the other day. A digital caliper that gives fraction-of-an-inch readouts on the screen. It's the "FastenerCal" model. Very handy for tip tube size measurements when you have to make that pesky translation from mm to 64ths of an inch to get a tube size for a top (why are we still doing that?). It only goes down to 32nds but it's simple to double the top number and Bam - tube size. It's from a company called igaging if you want to find one for yourself. It has other modes too. For people trapped in the zone between Imperial and Metric measurements. Maybe everyone has these and I'm behind the curve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stuck in an Imperial world
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 11:12AM

I have their "EZ-Cal" model. Price is right.

I like the Fuji TS21C for tube sizing better but calipers are nice for lots of jobs.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 11:24AM

Jim,
Another Caliper with 1/64th fraction display on the screen.

[www.amazon.com]

Here is another caliper with 1/128 inch fractions
[www.amazon.com]

Here is another caliper with 1/128th inch fractions.
[www.amazon.com]

------------------------------
Thanks for opening my eyes Jim. I had no idea that any of the calipers could display an answer in fractions.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 04:58PM

Ultimately, the metric system of measurements is MUCH easier than our imperial system. The metric system is a “base 10” method to measure; 1-10, 10-100, 100-1000 and so on. Our system is a jumbled mess, 16oz = 1lb, 16 fl oz = 1 pint, 128 fl oz = 1 gallon, 12 inches = 1 foot, 3ft = 1yard, 5280ft (now there is a nice round number) = 1mile; all cause for confusion and difficulty in computing. But the one thing so many Americans find most important, MONEY, is a “base 10” system! How come 16 cents doesn’t = a dime and 128 cents = 1 dollar?
U.S. industry (auto in particular) tried converting over quite a few years, but all fell short of the ultimate goal. Actually many, if not most, fasteners on US autos are now metric. I don’t think the machining industry in the US ever tried converting at all; everything is still based on 0.001in. Therefore, I admit to sticking with the inch system for my machining as well as other measurements so as not to be confused by jumping back and forth. I simply have a “Decimal Equivalents” chart mounted at eye level right next to my mill that converts decimals of an inch to fractions, mm, number and letter drill sizes. I use my calipers to measure how many thousandths the tip of the blank is and look at the chart to convert to 1/64s. The nice stiff plastic chart costs less than $5.00 from McMaster Carr.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 06:21PM

We really missed the boat not converting to the metric system, it would be ingrained by now! Have gave Canada a "head fake" and they went ahead.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 07:08PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We really missed the boat not converting to the
> metric system, it would be ingrained by now! Have
> gave Canada a "head fake" and they went ahead.

Phil... Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act in 1975...and then we ignored it.

But metric is the way to go when working out guide spacing projections.
I will put the first guide from the tip at 10cm and the butt guide 55cm from the middle of the reel seat.
Then progressively space the rest 12cm,14cm...etc...etc adjusting the butt guide if needed.
Now this is not how I always do it...but this works most of the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 10:29AM by Chris Catignani.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2022 07:36PM

Chris, I think you meant cm rather than mm. I also find spacing guides using the metric system much easier than dealing with fractions of an inch. For my entire working career as a scientist we used the metric system exclusively for everything we measured, including temperature.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 09:49PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Chris, I think you meant cm rather than mm.

Yes...your so right. Funny thing...I have two old rulers (made in USA) that are labeled MM and the hash marks are 1,2,3...etc.

Date: January 12, 2022 11:48PM

Those of us in the machining industry just keep bulgering along. It is ultimately a shame, though.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 10:50AM

I know that the metric system is easier but I know imperial. I have to use both in my real job so thank you Google conversions. For tip diameter measurements I just use that plastic tip device with the holes in it and the measurement by them. I have never bought an electronic caliper that did not break or just quit working but I have dial calipers that I have had for over twenty years.

Date: January 14, 2022 03:54PM

I have never had a digital caliper fail… because I have never owned one! The same medium-quality dial caliper I have owned and used for >30 years works just fine! Same for my micrometers, depth and height gauges.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 17, 2022 03:59PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
> I have never had a digital caliper fail… because
> I have never owned one! The same medium-quality
> dial caliper I have owned and used for >30 years
> works just fine! Same for my micrometers, depth
> and height gauges.

DITTO!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: January 18, 2022 12:03PM

Mark, they are handy for quick and dirty go/no-go stuff. Like is that shaft 15/16", 25mm, or 1".

The EZ-Cal is works and I needed something anyone could use. My personal is a Fowler....and yup it probably is 30 years old LOL!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster