I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
trying to understand kit motivation
Posted by: Stephen White (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 04:49PM

What is the point of buying a rod kit that ends up being the complete rod? I guess I don't get it, if everything is preselected then its not to customize and get exactly what you want, right? Is it to save dough or just wanting the thrill of putting pre-selected parts together?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trying to understand kit motivation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2022 04:57PM

Rod "kits" are less intimidating to the new rod builder than having to pick and choose all the various pieces, which exist in staggering numbers these days. "Kits" are very likely the #1 avenue into the craft than anything else. Don't knock them - they're a place to start.

Posted by: Stephen White (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 05:36PM

started to say I was not knocking it but I guess that is a little disingenuous.

I guess I posted this to get maybe a discussion going on this and maybe encourage new builders to pull up and rethink before they buy an 'everything' kit. We are an instant society these days but the push for more and more inclusive kits, to me has gone maybe a little too far. I was on one of the major websites and the copy for their kits on the home page was that the kit was so ready to assemble that it required few tools, no reaming, no drilling, no sanding, no... seems counter productive to me for someone wanting to learn how to build their own rod(s). Sure a kit of starter tools, a book or video... but the whole thing just ready to basically snap together in an evening or two? Just seems like after the first rod you will not really be much further along than before the build on really understanding what you are doing and the choices that need to be made.

Even if the research and first build produces a crappy fishing rod, so what? The 2nd one will be better, or the 3rd. There is hours and hours of pure joy researching and selecting the various tools and rod components and a lot of pride in having a rod that you build to suit yourself by researching all the options and then making that choice that is just right for what you want that rod to be.

Think about it like this, if I wanted to get into woodworking and build furniture would going to IKEA and buying a box of table parts and assembling be a good way to get started? In my mind it really is almost exactly the same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 05:45PM by Stephen White.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 06:05PM

Hello Stephen.

I was building rods for 10-20yrs. off and on before I saw a kit in a magazine from MudHole, and said what the heck why not try one and see what they are about, that is how I found this place, it was a Shakespear.
US727.
30-80#
4-16oz.
Medium.
Heavy.
6' / N/L.
Bottom rod I still use it for grouper.

Finding that kit led me to MudHole, MudHole lead me to Tom and that to the rodbuilding.org board and RodMaker Magazine, and that lead me to the EXPO.

Things like "Kits" pique the interest of people when they first see them and leads them to better things.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 06:33PM

Tom is spot on here, in regard to new builders. If the price was right I could see myself buying a kit and cross matching some of the components for different/future builds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 07:26PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 06:41PM

Don't assume that a kit is a crappy rod. As Tom said, it's a good way to start to understnd all the options, fits, processes, everything involved without making decisions you know nothing about. The rod you will end up with will be a good rod, so give it a try. I won't argue that it will be a better rod than a "big box" rod, but it most likely will be as good. And it will be a good start into something that will yield great results later on.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 11, 2022 08:26PM

Kits are a great way to learn the process of building a rod without making mistakes on components!

There are woodworking kits for things like boxes, tables and the like. You would not start out doing dovetails, inlays and more difficult procedures.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 08:57PM

I totally agree with you Stephen, but not all people have the same reasoning or even ability to do something. A kit can be appealing in many aspects especially to someone starting off. I had always been in construction and was making surfboards at the time that I started building and the only reason was because I did not want to spend the money on a finished Sage fly rod. I did my research and figured out the components and found a rod maker that showed me how to wrap guides (an ex police officer). Here is a man I had gotten introduced to one day and the next I (basically a long hair dope smoking surfer at the time) was at his house and he showed me how to wrap guides. I gave him a bunch of fiberglass cloth and resin with hardener for some project he had going on his boat and showed him how to apply it. I figured out the rest and the guide sizes through Lefty Kreh's books and some fly shops in my area. I still have that first rod and it came out pretty good. That is also where I learned that rod builders are good people. I think many just start with a kit because it is like putting a model together or paint by number, if they advance beyond that it turns into something else.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 11, 2022 09:52PM

I will not discourage anyone from building a rod from a kit. Its a good inexpensive way to find out if one has the skills, desire or temperament to assemble a rod. Its a good way to decide whether or not to go go deeper into the craft.

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 11:07PM

Using a kit is "like painting by the numbers"? Because I prefer not to get banned from the forum I will just let that one sit there and marinate with no comment.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2022 11:13PM

If you want the craft to endure, you must continually bring new people in. Without kits, fewer would take that first step. The fly fishing industry understands this and the plethora of fly tying kits is a good example.

It's not easy to get banned from this forum. In 21 years and out of 14,000 registrants, less than 20 people have ever been banned.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (136.226.55.---)
Date: January 12, 2022 12:19AM

I think you've missed one of the main points of a "kit." As others have said, it's a gateway to this hobby/addiction. Kits allow someone new to try things out easily.

I built my first fly rod about 18 months ago. I started with an all-in-one kit from Mudhole. Why? Because it included EVERYTHING needed to complete the rod. As Tom said, the number of components is mind-boggling these days. The kit removed all of that and allowed me to see if rod building was something I enjoyed. Turns out I do.

With that kit, I still had to:
- ream the handle
- learn how install the reel seat and handle
- learn about guide spacing and how the heck to keep the guides in place before wrapping.
- how to install the tip-top
- how to wrap the guides
- how to apply thread finish

I've built another 10 fly rods since then and have 5 more blanks to build up. None of those are kits. I learned from the kit that I enjoy the process and that I was willing to invest more time in learning about all of the component choices.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 12, 2022 01:17AM

Stephen,
While rod building kits may not be for everyone, they can serve a very useful purpose for many others. While my first rod build was not a kit, I blindly consulted my long-time tackle store owner for advice and purchased the guides, reel seat, thread, epoxy and everything else from him. It turned-out OK, but it is certainly a bit “dumpy” to what I build now = to be expected / practice makes perfect. After joining RB.O and asking a plethora of newbie questions, I realized there were much better choices for components and procedures, guides and guide trains in particular.
The moral of my story is that, for my first build, I may have been just as well off by purchasing a kit! They are usually quite affordable and can allow the newbie to practice the numerous and various skills required before delving into the more costly aspects of custom rod building.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Maney (149.101.1.---)
Date: January 12, 2022 03:39AM

My two cents from a rookie,
My introduction to rod building just a very short time ago was that I went and spent several days in the shop with a now good friend to learn some basics. We turned EVA handles, practiced thread wrapping, talked and installed line guides ect. After several more trips I made the jump and made a purchase from him. A power wrapper, a few blanks, line guides, handle material. ect. Although the components were not premium stuff it did, add fuel to the fire and got me started for a minimum price. (And it's my own stuff, if I screw it up its on me. (Let's do it!) With that being said I had to modify and change reel handles, look up guide spacing for different blank lengths and even cut a blank or two just to see "what if" and to "make it work." I want to say I have learned a lot in a very short time but honestly I know have only scratched the surface.

Fast forward to now, still a very short time later and I am working on my third (kit) some one wanted me to build for them.
Yes, I build kit rods but in my mind we all do..... I get the blank you prefer or I will cut it if I can't find the color you absolutely want, you want a different guide? ok, reel seat? ok, material for a grip? (They all want cork) then I assemble/build. I have not built one yet that snapped together and was done. Each has needed some work in someway.
What a (Kit Rod) is slowly teaching me is the parameters, in which to use, to get me closer to where I want my finished product to end up. Doing this without slowing down as much during the build process, such as reaming the reel seat at all or as much for placement. I am also keeping a log of each build and list of components to include sizes such as reel seats. This way I can review for later builds if I happen to have a repeat build, in which I have such as a fuji reel seat size for a 7 vs 7 1/2 rod blank. (This works in my mind until I build enough to know sizes.)

My question is what is the difference in my kit built rod vs a true custom rod build?
Am I building a custom rod or a kit rod?
I am just trying to learn the craft and terminology.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 07:09AM

Being so naive to the craft, I almost went crazier trying to weave my way through the endless options. Thank God for the customer service some company's offer. Kits did for me that I couldn't do for myself. I've since followed this blog and have increased my "parts knowledge." Thanking all whom assisted!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 07:13AM by Jeffrey D Rennert.

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2022 08:53AM

Thank you Tom for your belief in my ability to behave my self, but sometimes....... The positive replies concerning the advantages of kits have been numerous and very articulate, more than I could do. Discussions like this are akin to the time tested favorite " if your not fishing with a #20 dry fly on a classic cane rod your not really fly fishing" Being patronizing and condescending are not admirable qualities

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: January 12, 2022 08:58AM

I built my first rod from scratch. It started out out when I saw a blank in an old repair shop that looked like an ugly stick, about 8'6". I had a leg up because I had the blank in hand and could measure for the tip top, reel seat, figure out how many guides I needed. Still, without me finding THIS site first (thank you Tom) I would have been a little lost. I understand the kits. One can make mistakes ordering components, and a already expensive rod becomes even more costly when the wrong components are ordered. Some people want it easier to begin with and it's more like a push. If they like it, they tend to get into it further until it becomes a problem, but a good problem that most of us have. Just how many rods can I build before my time is up?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2022 09:54AM

Mike Juliana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you've missed one of the main points of a
> "kit." As others have said, it's a gateway to this
> hobby/addiction. Kits allow someone new to try
> things out easily.
>
> I built my first fly rod about 18 months ago. I
> started with an all-in-one kit from Mudhole. Why?
> Because it included EVERYTHING needed to complete
> the rod. As Tom said, the number of components is
> mind-boggling these days. The kit removed all of
> that and allowed me to see if rod building was
> something I enjoyed. Turns out I do.
>
> With that kit, I still had to:
> - ream the handle
> - learn how install the reel seat and handle
> - learn about guide spacing and how the heck to
> keep the guides in place before wrapping.
> - how to install the tip-top
> - how to wrap the guides
> - how to apply thread finish
>
> I've built another 10 fly rods since then and have
> 5 more blanks to build up. None of those are kits.
> I learned from the kit that I enjoy the process
> and that I was willing to invest more time in
> learning about all of the component choices.

As far as I am concerned Mike hit the nail on the head.

Thanks Mike.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 09:57AM

Stephen White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the point of buying a rod kit that ends up
> being the complete rod?

You can still modify the kit: The handle length, reel seat position, guide spacing...build on the spine.
Plus, all the embellishments (though this adds a little weight...it adds Karma).

Posted by: Jim Ising (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 10:20AM

We introduced 84 new kits in our 2021 Catalog. 84! If you spent weeks researching and reading and worrying about the exact components to use on almost any rod...you would come up with a kit we assembled. Each one was scrutinized for accuracy, carefully compared to Fuji concept documentation, looked at with an experienced eye and ultimately given a "Fuji Seal of Approval". The point is, a very seasoned builder and novice can (and will) wind up in the same place with a well-designed kit but it is ALWAYS about the list of things Mike mentions above. I would refer to that list as the "Potential Screw-Up List" and it will continue to be the thing that separates the men from the boys. All any kit can do is remove "Component Selection" from the Screw-Up List

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster