I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim thread
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 10:47AM

I recently ordered a blank and material for a rod build, after I placed the order I realized I had forgot to order trim thread. The shipping cost on one spool would be more than the thread so I decided this rod didnt need any trim. While I was tying some flies I had an epiphany (maybe or maybe not) I use metallic embroidery thread for for ribbing a lot of nymphs and flymphs, this thread is made up of 6 strands wound together so you can unravel them easily and use whatever number the pattern calls for. The obvious question is; has anyone ever used embroidery thread for trim thread? It appears to have the same tensile strength as rod thread and the diameter looks good. Am I a genius or am I crazy? No need to be diplomatic I have been married over 50 years and raised three daughters so I am used to criticism. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim thread
Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 11:30AM

Why not? If it is only for a trim band, tensile strength doesn't matter. I would test it though....see how it reacts to epoxy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 11, 2022 11:32AM

Jim,
Simply put - test any new idea, or product before you put that idea or product in service on a final product.

i.e.
Take a piece of rod blank and do a bunch of wraps with the thread or material in question. Pack and wrap as you would with any other thread.

Put your usual number of coats on the wraps and let dry. After a couple of days, check things out. If the look is what you want - go for it. If not, stop and don't continue with that product.

You never know unless you research, test, and evaluate.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.109-247-105.customer.lyse.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 01:26PM

It is good idea to do a test wrap and coat with epoxy . The thread might contain silicone "lubrication"

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 11, 2022 03:22PM

Jim,
Whether a brain storm or brain flatulence, test, test, and test again. It is not so much about strength, or even the look, but more about it the thread coating (epoxy, PG, or whatever) is compatible with the thread. Purpose-designed rod wrapping thread will accept rod wrapping finish but other threads MAY contain lubricants, as others have mentioned.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 06:37PM

Congrats, you're the lab rat. Lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 06:56PM

Not World Peace. Just do it.

Date: January 11, 2022 07:28PM

LMAO

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 10:53PM

I always planned on testing on an old spinning rod I have, good advice about the possibility of silicone, didn't think of that. Package says it's 100% polyester so I think it will work, we shall see. I was really hoping someone in the forum had tried it and could give me a yea or nay but judging from the comments apparently that is not the case. I will try it and report back so hopefully others can benefit from my lab rat status, if it works it would provide an alternative thread. Thanks for the comments

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 12:10PM

Jim,
There are thousands of rod builders who have used nylon thread, polyester thread, embroidery thread with great success with using the thread for rod builds.

Simply protect your self and fully test any unknown thread that you use to build a rod before putting it into a final product.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 12, 2022 12:36PM

The reason for testing is that many embroidery threads can be used in sewing machines and because of this a silicone based lubricant may have been added during manufacturing. Such lubricants can cause the finish epoxy to ‘bead’ on the thread causing ‘fisheyes’. So it’s best to test. If you use color preserver on your wraps you should not have a problem. In fact, most decorative wraps are done using embroidery thread because of the large number of colors available, but these wraps are coated with color preserver before finishing with epoxy. You may not have a problem even without color preserver because trim wraps are small, but test to see.
Norm

Date: January 12, 2022 07:03PM

Jim, I don't think such threads are necessarily marked as having been treated with silicone, although some may, due to it's making thread pass thru machines more easily. Silicone doesn't cause issues in regard to sewing machines. But it certainly does with rod epoxies.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 09:00AM

I have several spools of metallic thread picked up at a quilt shop and they work well for trim bands. The biggest issue I see is the fraying aspect, but this is easily handled by applying a light coat of epoxy, cleaning up any burrs or popups after it is dry, and then applying additional coats of epoxy until you have the desired number. I have used these threads a number of times and have had no significant issues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster