I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to choose the right tip top
Posted by: Micky Comley (---)
Date: January 09, 2022 10:33PM

Howdy All! How do you figure out which tip top to use? I know they come by ring size and tube size. Do you want the ring size of the tip top to be the same size as the last guide? When repairing a broken tip then you would need a bigger tube size with the same ring size. I would sure appreciate some advice!
Thanks,
Micky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to choose the right tip top
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:20PM

You have it right, if it's not possible you get as close as you can, if you don't have the line controlled by than you have other issues to address.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:43PM

Mickey,
A tip top with the same size ring as the preceding runners is preferred, but not paramount; larger or smaller is not a big consequence. Assuming a defective tip top is removed without damage to the blank, the same size ring AND tube can be reinstalled. If the tip top of the blank was broken-off or initially installed with epoxy and not easily removable without damage to the blank, then obviously a possibly larger tube size would be required to fit the new, unaffected section of blank.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 10, 2022 07:19AM

From an aesthetics standpoint, yes, having the same size ring on the tip top as the last guide closest to it, is the way to go. It's the way i always go anyhow. But ...... there could be times when having a larger ringed tip top could be of some benefit.

I live in northeast Ohio, and in the spring of the year we have about a 2 - 3 week period where we have a lot of that white fluffy stuff from Cottonwood trees, floating on the water's surface. That stuff clings to your line and clogs up a smaller tip top more quickly. A slightly larger ring on your tip top could help in a situation like that.

And as Spencer alluded to, having a slightly larger or smaller tip top isn't going to make a difference under normal circumstances.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2022 06:02PM

I do a lot rods with micro guides down to 4mm and I will go 1/2 size larger on the the tip top. A 4mm guide train will have 4.5mm tip top to help pass the leader knot for braid to mono / floro. Helps a lot with spinning rods especially where it is harder to control how close you reel the leader knot to the tip. I will do it with other larger guide trains when I believe it will be an issue. The line wave is controlled already with the guide train so that small bit of difference in diameter is not going to affect the cast and it also does not affect retrieve. You really can't tell or see the size difference because of the difference in the frame from a tip top to a running guide. Yes I do it as a standard practice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 10, 2022 11:29PM

Just do it carefully and correctly and your rod will be perfect every time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster