I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12wt. blanks?
Posted by: Andrew Ogilvie (---.gci.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 08:15AM

Who makes a good 12wt 4-piece blank (preferably graphite)? I’ve got a trip to a Belize scheduled in May, and would like to have a tarpon rod to take with…
I have no difficulty finding blanks up to 10/11wt, but 12’s seem to be rather hard to find.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12wt. blanks?
Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 09:13AM

Here are a few options that I found:

Hook & Hackle has a Rainshadow Eternity 9' 12 weight, 4pc. blank and it is currently on sale for $210.

RodGeeks has a 9' 12 weight, 4pc. carbon fiber blank for $150. And you can get it in any cool color you want if you are willing to wait a few weeks for them to make it. I built a 3 wt. rod of theirs and it is a very nice fishing rod and looks really nice with the metal flake green color. But then .... a 3 wt. is really not comparable to 12 wt. HaHa.

Mudhole has an MHX 9'0" 12 wt. Fly Rod Blank for $210

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 10:04AM

Andrew,
CTS' Flagship Affinity-X comes in a 12 wt - 4 piece, graphite.

Email me for RB.Org pricing.
Herb
CTS U.S. Rep
Located in FL

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:28AM

NFC offers both a glass and a graphite 12 wt

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 09, 2022 02:17PM

Thomas & Thomas Solar is a popular 12 weight Tarpon blank, MHX also makes a 12 weight, Sage Salt HD makes two 12 weights, and continue to 16 weight. Angler's Workshop makes a saltwater series to 14 weight, Winston makes two 12 weights.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 05:00PM

My son and I really like our Eternity !!'s, two eights and a nine. ERN's are on the high side, as are all the fly rods I've checked. Light and powerful. Faster actions than the old Rainshadow RX 8's.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 06:09PM

CTS Affinity X.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:14PM

You really do not need a 12 wt for almost any Tarpon. I have caught them over 100lbs on a 10 wt. If you do build a 12wt you will have almost no other uses for it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 10, 2022 12:38AM

Phil makes some sense, I built a Batson Xcel RXF 12/13 wt. for Florida saltwater use many years ago, other than when I use very heavy sink tips for salmon steelhead I have little use for it. The blanks really aren't that awful powerful, it's the construction method necessary that makes them seem so. If they were built like conventional gear rods they would be rather unremarkable.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 10, 2022 09:33AM

Andrew,
If you decide that a more moderate blank will make more sense for your trip - using CTS' custom design program I designed a moderate/action 9'0" 4pc #11 for my own personal use.
I sold it to a gentleman who needed it for a Tarpon trip. He loves it. Also uses it for big Striped Bass in MA.
Herb

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 10, 2022 06:13PM

Jann's Netcraft also has a 4-piece 12-wt for less than $100 - IM6 Graphite in a matte black finish.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 10:22AM

We have one left of the Batson RX7 Graphite fly blanks, model IF9012-OG.
That is the deep gloss Green color.
On sale -
IF9012-OG 9' 2 12 .530B 6.5T $ 62.00
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 11, 2022 03:36PM

Preferred rod size depends on whether you seek and hook a #25 tarpon or a #120 tarpon with your rod?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster