I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Telescoping UL Blanks?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 06, 2022 07:37PM

Is there a UL to Light, 6-7ft telescoping rod available out there in which, when deployed, offers proper guide spacing when performing a static load test? Actually, being a rod builder, I am more interested in finding a proper telescoping BLANK, but could replace the guides with my preference on a pre-made rod. I can only assume there is a whole lot of compromising going on with a telescoping rod / blank, but the possibilities could be quite attractive for a trout pac-rod. The telescoping rods I have seen are for heavier applications and while reasonably priced, are kind-of cheesy. Maybe I’m expecting too much and barking-up-the-wrong-tree.
I learned of a source for an 8ft, 7-piece, 3-4 WT IM8 blank from a member on this site. I’ve built 2 fly and 2 spin rods from them and am quite pleased. While I have never owned one, the possibilities of a telescoping rod intrigues me.
Wha-cha-got?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telescoping UL Blanks?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 06, 2022 10:45PM

Mark, keep in mind you do not have many choices where the guides go! They have to be placed so that the sections can fully slide within each other., which says one guide per section.

Date: January 06, 2022 11:32PM

Phil,
Thanks for the reply. I am totally aware of the limits of a telescoping blank / rod, guide spacing in particular, hence my original comment “I can only assume there is a whole lot of compromising going on with a telescoping rod / blank…” It is a compromise I may be willing to accept given the other possible attributes of a telescoping rod. But I have worn-out my fingers and keyboard condom searching for a suitable rod / blank, hence inquiring here within the best internet source of which I am familiar. While satisfied and pleased with the 7-piece UL blanks previously mentioned (as the one sent to you for your respected evaluation = thanks), the possibility of a proper UL TELESCOPING blank is very intriguing. But one cannot shoot-the-moon if they cannot see it on a cloudy night! I will graciously accept any and all ideas and possible references, iffy and questionable included. Thanks!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: January 07, 2022 11:05AM

Mark...do a search for "Shakespeare Travel Mate Pack Spinning Rod" (glass rod) (STM66SPT)

I dont think you can find a telescoping UL graphite rod...the inside diameters are too small.
You can certainly make one but would probably be on the heavier side vs just a two piece rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2022 11:07AM by Chris Catignani.

Date: January 07, 2022 06:22PM

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. As with other telescoping rods (no blanks yet) I have investigated, the Shakespeare is not quite what I’m looking for; close but no cigar.
You are probably correct that such a rod will probably be FG rather than CF, which is certainly fine with me. Besides the diameter issue you mentioned, a blank of this sort will probably need to have a rather steep taper as well to afford short enough sections which will yield more / better guide positions. I realize that I may be expecting too much and that a compromise will be required, but so far the compromises I have found are weighted too far in the wrong direction.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 07, 2022 07:53PM

Mark, how about looking a a TENKARA rod. They are way beyond the length you want, but you might be able to utilize the middle sections to get the action you want.

Date: January 08, 2022 12:22AM

Thanks, Phil. I am unfamiliar with the Tenkara rods but will investigate.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster