I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are you plagued with uneven shoulders on grips?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 04, 2022 10:11AM

Besides perfect thread work, the sign of a good build are even shoulders on your cork grips that are turned on a lathe of some sort.
I mean the area where your grip, and fishting butt, meet the reel seat. The cork reveal should be equal 360 degrees around the seat.

Uneven reveal can happen for two reasons:
1. Slippage of the blank or mandrel while in the lathe.
2. The main reason, however, is the fact that the foam arbor was not reamed concentric to the blank.

Using the following method, you will install the arbor directly onto the blank - not into the reel seat.

The way to avoid this is to use the principal of The Intergral Calculus. Since it is easier, and more accurate, to ream a short piece of arbor, rather than a long piece, cut the arbor into 4 equal pieces.
So as not to mix them up - number them 1-4 with a pencil.

It is easier and more accurate to use a grit-coated reamer instead of a sandpaper-wrapped reamer to do this.

Place a piece of tape on the blank to mark where piece #1 will sit.
Ream #1 careful to maintain concentricity. Inspect it periododically to ensure the walls are even. If not - take a little off the thicker side.
DRY FIT THE PIECES OFTEN. WHEN NEAR THE FINAL RESTING LOCATION GO VERY SLOW.

The 4 pieces should be snug to where you want them to sit.
If the arbor is shorter than the seat - be sure to leave spaces between arbor pieces. Or use a short piece off of a full arbor. In thta case you will have 5 pieces.

When all pieces are snug to the blank - epoxy in place.
I rotate mine so epoxy does not flow out.
Careful when cleaning-up. Make sure you don't use free flowing alcohol - it will wick undere the arbor and weaken the bond.

When epoxy is cured - install the seat. If seat fits loosly - bush with a spiral of thread. If still loose - spiral back. If still loose - use flu line backing.
For a good bond - make sure that you wet the inside of the seat with epoxy as well as the arbor.

The above should be used for builders using pre-made grips also. An non-concentric seat will not fit nicely into the port of a premade grip.

Herb.
CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2022 11:45AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are you plagued with uneven shoulders on grips?
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 04, 2022 11:35AM

Thats very good information. Thank You for sharing .
Steve

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 04, 2022 04:40PM

I sometimes have a little concentricity issue with ramps that I make for the ends of spin seats, and I always make sure to orient the parts rotationally to not show it when viewed from above.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 04, 2022 06:12PM

I don’t know what all the fuss is about; I never experience non-concentricity issues…yah right. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to obtain a PRECISELY concentric grip is to employ the largest possible boring bar on a metal lathe (or a highly modified wood lathe). But the taper is a real PITA. When all else fails, I employ Michael’s approach; I just tell everyone to not view the rod from the side lol.
Nonetheless, thanks Herb for the tip. With no guarantee the grip, arbors or bushings are concentric to begin with, it really boils-down to reaming slowly and checking often.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 05, 2022 05:38PM

Mark, I have never seen a non-concentric arbor, bushing, grip, or reel seat. My problems are always of my own making, not having a lathe, and relying on good reaming technique, which is not always perfect. I don't see the taper as an issue. Maybe I'm missing something.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 06, 2022 04:44PM

Michael,
I was referring to (taper) boring a grip with a boring bar on a metal lathe, not a typical tapered rod building reamer. You are either luckier than me or spend more money on your cork, arbors or bushings. I have had a number of them which were not concentric. Again, it all really boils-down to reaming slowly and checking often.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster