I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KW vas KR Guides in new K GPS
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.eaglepicher.com)
Date: January 04, 2022 08:07AM

I'm about to build a spinning rod that will casting distance will be considered greatly, I have added the KR Guides in the past but this rod will be a little on the heavier side and I wondered if any one has used KW Double foot guides in the reduction train per the Fuji GPS for KRs and then transferred to single foot KLs? This is a 7' 6" Custom Painted Rod Geeks Blank

Thanks, Alex

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KW vas KR Guides in new K GPS
Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 04, 2022 12:17PM

Just built a heavier inshore spinning rod and utilized the same idea. Have to play around with layout as it's not the exact same as KL. The single foot guides can easily handle the stress, but it's more the bumps and bruises from handling the rod than fishing the rod.

I went KW 25, 20, 10 to a couple KB6 then KT6 out to tip. Choke sits a touch low, but not the worst thing in the world for getting the line to the runners. I've also built with these combos that work well...

KW30L, 20, 10
KW25, 16, 5.5
KW20, 12, 5.5

A KW25 high and KW20 high would be a nice addition as would a KB8.

SeaGuide makes some nice high double foot guides that I'd like to experiment with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2022 12:20PM by Dan Hoehn.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: January 04, 2022 12:58PM

For height reference

[anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 04, 2022 05:48PM

Alex,
How heavy is “heavier”? Guides are generally stronger than need-be, and the KL-Hs can handle quite a bit. As Dan mentioned though, they may be more susceptible to surcomming to rough handling. The KR Concept works exceptionally well due mostly to the height of the reduction rings; the KWs are obviously considerably shorter than the KL-Hs. One can use larger diameter KW rings (butt guide in particular), but the line will not be as centered within the ring. While it can be done and will probably work fairly well, I would follow the KRC reduction guide philosophy of each guide being ~ half that of the preceding one; 30 , 16, 8 / 25, 12, 6 / 20, 10, 6 / 16, 8, 5.5.
Rather than trying to force the KWs to work yet have the extra strength of a double foot guide with the proper height and ring size, the RV would be the best choice. However, Fuji is very proud of them and you might have to take out a second on your home to afford them.
That is just my novice observation. Hopefully Norman Miller or Jim Ising will reply to offer their infinite wisdom; I am here to learn as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ct.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 04, 2022 08:46PM

Thanks to you all, and to Zac, which provided me a cheat-sheet to what I though that I would have to pour over in a Fuji Catalog. What I meant by Heavier, although a poor choice of word was exactly what you all had commented on, it's use. Planned for light Mahi 10lb or smaller, via topwater or fly-rigged bait. This customer likes to "use" their gear and although I have great confidence in the KR frames. they have apprehensions due to other single-foot guides bending and breaking. I built another 7'6" Light saltwater rod that uses micro runners and that angler was impressed with it's performance.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 04, 2022 10:22PM

Alex,
Some people are just “bulls in a china store”. A custom rod can accommodate for that but at what cost? Maybe if you charge more, they will appreciate the rod more and take better care of it lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: January 06, 2022 10:18AM

GPS will give you layout and positions for a New Guide Concept reduction train. GPS for KR results are only valid for the specialized KL-H frame. Mixing the two is not always a good idea. KW will not have the height for a GPS-for-KR layout. An NGC layout with KW will cast great, it will be only slightly heavier and maybe a few feet shorter in distance. Or you can go to the RV-H double foot KR guide.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 06, 2022 06:49PM

One can always be confident to employ Jim’s knowledge and suggestions.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2022 10:56AM

Jim is correct, you use either a NGC or a KR concept, you don’t normally mix the two types of reduction guides. For a double foot KR concept reduction train you would use the RV-H guides coupled with the KW12M or KW10M. These guides only come in a titanium frame so will be more expensive. However, since the rod will be used in a saltwater environment then titanium frames make good sense. SeaGuide also offers XQHG high frame double foot guides, similar in height to the Fuji RV guides, so they could be used in a KR concept build. What type of line and reel are going to be used on this 7 1/2’ rod?
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster