I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish between guides?
Posted by: Micky Comley (---)
Date: January 03, 2022 06:00PM

Howdy all,
Beginner Question - what do you put on the bare rod blank ( for finish ) between the guides?
Thank you
Micky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish between guides?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2022 06:01PM

You mean between the guide feet or along the rod blank? The blank does not need any additional finish and adding such only adds weight - weight that is noticeable and will greatly slow rod speed.

Between the guide feet on double footed guides I prefer not to add finish there either. Not necessary although some do it.

Date: January 03, 2022 06:56PM

Hey Tom, What about a rebuild? Guides and handle stripped, epoxy scraped back to the blank. So just sand it easily to 600 or 800 before starting the rebuild?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2022 07:14PM

Sanding can compromise the outer fibers, which are the most important fibers of the blank. I'd scrape it clean and then refinish with PermaGloss or a urethane 2-part spray like SprayMax. These are very tough but thin and light. Epoxy isn't a good choice for this.

Do a search for PermaGloss in the forum archives here. Easy to do. Excellent product for this.

Posted by: Micky Comley (---.176.213.151.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 03, 2022 07:15PM

Sorry, but Yes, I was referring to the bare rod blank between the guide wrappings. Makes sense about the added weight.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 03, 2022 10:09PM

The best answer is NOTHING, on a new blank.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: January 04, 2022 10:16AM

If you're talking about an older blank that had faded, you could have it painted

Date: January 04, 2022 05:33PM

Hey Zachary, yes, it is an old faded blank, painting would be an option. What about a very thin light coat of paste wax? It would have to be after the guides are finished and very dry.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: January 05, 2022 08:45AM

Micky Comley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Zachary, yes, it is an old faded blank,
> painting would be an option. What about a very
> thin light coat of paste wax? It would have to be
> after the guides are finished and very dry.

If you just want it glossy, then I would do what Tom said with the permagloss or urethane. You could try the paste wax right now and see how it looks, but that finish won't hold up

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 05, 2022 12:29PM

Keep in mind, that if you wax it, and later decide to coat it with something, you will need to thoroughly remove the wax coating.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 05, 2022 03:47PM

I have rebuilt many old rods with severely compromised finishes .

For myself, I use gentle heat and a razor blade - scraping from the butt to the tip of the rod to remove the finish.

Once all of the finish has been removed and is down to the bare glass or graphite, I simply use a buffing wheel and buff the rod blank.

I have never ever found a good reason to put any finish over the bare graphite or fiberglass.

ANY finish is going to add weight. Why do you want extra weight on a rod.

Once the rod has been polished, I spray it down with simple green cleaner to remove any residue from the previous operations and dry the blank and then build the rod.

I like to stay away from any active chemicals that may interact with something in the future.

Best wishes

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 05, 2022 07:00PM

What exactly is the desired result of covering a rod blank with paint, or epoxy, or shellac, or lacquer, or varnish, or . . . ?

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: January 06, 2022 04:30AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> What exactly is the desired result of covering a
> rod blank with paint, or epoxy, or shellac, or
> lacquer, or varnish, or . . . ?

It gives the blank a sleek, shiny, clean, soulful look.

Date: January 06, 2022 08:02AM

Thanks, Terry. How many coats of finish are necessary to achieve this lovely appearance?

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: January 06, 2022 12:39PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> Thanks, Terry. How many coats of finish are
> necessary to achieve this lovely appearance?

That is the beauty of it, it is all in the eyes of the beholder and can be from 1 to 1000 coats.

Date: January 07, 2022 04:42PM

If you build the rod chiefly for fishing no coating of the blank is necessary, useful, or advisable. If you build the rod for appearance then paint, dye, tinsel, wax, anything goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2022 04:45PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster