I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Blank Label ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2022 11:47PM

Recently purchased a CTS spin blank. Came factory labeled. Not a big fan of labels mainly the application and finishing of them. Anyways I will live with the label since it is already on the blank. Wondering how durable these labels are if I don't finish over them. If it where to wear off evenly over time fine but I don't want it to flake away and look terrible after just a couple uses. Thought of buffing it off but the blank is matte and I will end up with a shiny spot. If I do need epoxy over it what's the best process? I plan to bracket the label with small trim wraps. Be easy enough to extend the finish I guess. Any need for CP over the label I will use it on the trim wraps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Blank Label ?
Posted by: chris c nash (70.35.188.---)
Date: January 02, 2022 03:04AM

CTS labels are top notch , no need to epoxy over them . Many people like to apply a carnauba wax to keep their rods looking brand new , if you do this just remember to avoid 'cleaner wax' , get regular non cleaner wax because cleaner waxes have mild abrasives in them which could possibly wear off the label a bit over the long term.

Decal connection makes perfect CTS labels and are approved by CTS to do just that if you needed a replacement .

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2022 04:56AM

Thanks for the quick reply. My OCD kicks in trying to get a section of finish longer than a guide wrap perfectly level, never ends well..

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2022 09:19AM

I cover the new labels with epoxy, no need for CP or anything to pre coat them before using your thread finish epoxy. I don’t have any problems with getting a level, long finish spot. Although I will say the higher viscosity finishes seem to work better on longer finish spots, they just level easier. Probably has something to do with how I apply my finish also.

One cool thing is that you can specify how far up from the bottom of the butt section you want the label to start. I just say to Herb when I make a blank order, this many inches from bottom of each blank. I take into consideration reel seat, grip and hook keeper lengths on the fly rods I build. The other option is having or not having the alignment marks on multi piece blanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2022 09:58AM

Is the "label" an stick-on label or a screen printing on the blank? If the latter, then no finish is necessary.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: January 02, 2022 10:20AM

Thanks Chris and Bill.

The CTS Logo and Blank Specs (if requested) is screen painted. As Tom said - no finish is necessary. But no harm if you do.

As Bill said - when blanks are ordered through me - You will have to tell me how far from the butt you want the "CTS" logo. Also - do yoiu want it on the spine? 180 degrees from the spine? On the Right Hand Side (normal placement).

Also - do you want the Blank Specs following the Logo. i.e. "CTS Affinity-X 9.0 #5. (No extra charge)
You may have the writing in White, Black or Teal.

You may also request Spine/Alignment marks on the ferrules. + $10.

Also - since most blanks ordered through me are FedExed from me to the customer - woud be helpful if you told me if Signature is Required at time of delivery.

Happy New year,
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 09:04PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: January 02, 2022 10:29AM

The CTS surf blank I bought at the last Expo has the info painted on, or whatever you call it. I do put a coat of epoxy over it just for additional protection.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 02, 2022 07:10PM

There's that nasty spine thing again. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster